Windshield wipers won't stop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield wipers won't stop

Reaction score
City, State
houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
I have a 2016 Platinum Explorer with 3400 miles. I have had the car in the shop no less than 6 times with electrical issues. Now, the windshield wipers when in auto mode won't stop. The first WSW problem was they just came on. When I took it in, they couldn't make it happen. The next time, they just went off, they told me to turn them completely off, leave them off and see if they came back on. what is the point in auto wipers if you have to leave them off. Now, they go off every 15 seconds. I can't get the car in till Thursday.

Has anyone else had this problem? I would like to go in and tell them what is wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2016 Platinum Explorer with 3400 miles. I have had the car in the shop no less than 6 times with electrical issues. Now, the windshield wipers when in auto mode won't stop. The first WSW problem was they just came on. When I took it in, they couldn't make it happen. The next time, they just went off, they told me to turn them completely off, leave them off and see if they came back on. what is the point in auto wipers if you have to leave them off. Now, they go off every 15 seconds. I can't get the car in till Thursday.

Has anyone else had this problem? I would like to go in and tell them what is wrong.
I would suspect that it is the switch that has to be replaced now that it is a continuous problem. On the 2011 Limited I had I would get the occasional "uncommanded wipe" and Ford came out with a TSB on it and I believe they replaced the windshield wiper module or something similar. I still had the odd wipe occur after that. It also happened on my 2014 MKT and now on my 2017 Platinum but in both these cases it very, very rare.

Peter

I would suspect that it is the switch that has to be replaced now that it is a continuous problem. On the 2011 Limited I had I would get the occasional "uncommanded wipe" and Ford came out with a TSB on it and I believe they replaced the windshield wiper module or something similar. I still had the odd wipe occur after that. It also happened on my 2014 MKT and now on my 2017 Platinum but in both these cases it very, very rare.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I will suggest they replace the wiper module when I take in it.

I would at least do a drive by at the dealership if you can and let the service writer see just what is happening, that way they will know that there is something wrong even if they can't duplicate it when you take it into them.

My 11 had the wipers always on, so every 10 sec or so they would swipe. Even when off. Replaced switch and fine sense. This was just a few months ago.

Also had the blinker stay on too. Replaced that switch a year ago and been fine sense. Kind of sad the switches are so crappy. I think it has to do with being a smart switch, but not sure either. Sad either way.

My 11 had the wipers always on, so every 10 sec or so they would swipe. Even when off. Replaced switch and fine sense. This was just a few months ago.

Also had the blinker stay on too. Replaced that switch a year ago and been fine sense. Kind of sad the switches are so crappy. I think it has to do with being a smart switch, but not sure either. Sad either way.

Thanks for your inputs. I will let you know what they say.

It is sad to pay soo much for a car, and in 6 months, the parts start going bad.

I have a 2013 Explorer XLT 4x4. A couple days ago I notice phantom wipers but it stopped shortly after. Then yesterday it started again and hasn't stopped. The headlights when turned to auto will also not turn off during the day when the phantom wiper occur. A few days ago when it happened the auto lights turned off when the phantom wiper stopped. Seems strange that this would be a wiper switch issue since the two happen at the same time. Could it be a electrical ground issue? Where would this electrical ground be located? Thank you.

ground connections are ALL over the car.

If it were me I would replace the switch. For $50 it's cheap first step and a known fix for this problem. The hardest part is figuring out how to pop the steering column covers off. There is a thread in this forum with good tips on that.

I have a 2013 Explorer XLT 4x4. A couple days ago I notice phantom wipers but it stopped shortly after. Then yesterday it started again and hasn't stopped. The headlights when turned to auto will also not turn off during the day when the phantom wiper occur. A few days ago when it happened the auto lights turned off when the phantom wiper stopped. Seems strange that this would be a wiper switch issue since the two happen at the same time. Could it be a electrical ground issue? Where would this electrical ground be located? Thank you.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If the wipers continue to operate on their own you may have to replace the wiper switch.
As for the headlights coming ON when in 'Auto' and with the wipers working, that is perfectly normal. That is the way the system is set up to work. Have checked your Owner's Manual?
From the Manual, page 98 of the 4th printing. Lighting / Autolamps
Note: If the vehicle is equipped with autolamps, it will have the
windshield wiper rainlamp feature. When the windshield wipers are
turned to low- or high-speed wiping during daylight, and the headlamp
control is in the autolamp position, the exterior lamps will turn on after a
brief delay and will remain on until the wipers are turned off.

Peter

@MrsCrispie Bacon since you are under warranty let Ford figure this out but strongly suggest they replace the switch since when in OFF they STILL wipe.
I used the auto wipers once and didn't care for it but no issues with mine or my lights on my 16 Limited or my previous 13 XLT

@MrsCrispie Bacon since you are under warranty let Ford figure this out but strongly suggest they replace the switch since when in OFF they STILL wipe.
I used the auto wipers once and didn't care for it but no issues with mine or my lights on my 16 Limited or my previous 13 XLT
If you have your headlight switch in 'Auto' mode, your headlights will automatically come on when the wipers do after a 10 second delay. Page 81 in the Manual. That is the same thing that Jpajinag is experiencing.

Peter

i have a 2013 Explorer. The wipers are not turning off and the auto lamps are also staying on. I do not have auto wipers, the rain sensing type. I've read that bad electrical grounds can cause these types of issues. Does anyone know where the ground wires are located?
Funny you should mention the grounding. When the car was brand new, the senors were very spotty when they they worked. After the third trip in, they found an electrical wire was loose. They said it came that way from the factory. I'm not sure about that. i think it probably worked loose, but I don't know for sure.

My wipers were in the off position but still wiping at the lowest intermittent speed and the lights are on. If the lights were working correctly and on due to wipers being on, shouldn't the wipers be turned on to low or high speed? Not knowing location of the ground related to the wipers and autonlights I decided to look at other electrical issues. My battery is only a year old but I turned off all electronics and made sure not to have my cell phone in the auxiliary point. Within a few minutes my wipers and lights went off. I will be having my battery tested as a cell phone in an aux point shouldn't be too high a electrical draw to cause this but so far it seems to have corrected the issue. If it occurs again I will update.

Funny you should mention the grounding. When the car was brand new, the senors were very spotty when they they worked. After the third trip in, they found an electrical wire was loose. They said it came that way from the factory. I'm not sure about that. i think it probably worked loose, but I don't know for sure.

It sounds like you should be talking to them about buying it back/replacing it under the Lemon Law, if it's having this many issues.

i would put money on it its your switch. Ours was intermittent at first until it was a constantly on at lowest speed. New switch fixed it.

Keith

Well it started up again this morning, got the battery tested and it is good. Went to Ford today and all techs were busy. A worker did tell us as a side note unofficially that it is likely a ground. So now to search for the ground before replacing a switch (although I doubt I'll mess anything up I'd rather check this route first). If/when I figure it out I'll update.

Well it started up again this morning, got the battery tested and it is good. Went to Ford today and all techs were busy. A worker did tell us as a side note unofficially that it is likely a ground. So now to search for the ground before replacing a switch (although I doubt I'll mess anything up I'd rather check this route first). If/when I figure it out I'll update.
If you took the panels off to expose the switch as per the link I provided wouldn't you find a ground?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe. I haven't had time to really look, been working. Friday I should have some time to look into it indeapth. There are grounds all over these vehicles so hopefully finding the ones linked to wipers and lights will turn out to be follow a wire type. Seems sensors have loosened or gone over the years. Had an O2 sensor go bad in the emissions system, $100 fee and extended warranty still for that one. Had a temperature sensor (the one that measures outside ambient temp) loosen last summer, truck kept telling me it was -10 F out and AC wouldn't work when it was 80-95 out. Re tightened that and haven't had an issue since. Then had a sensor/ wire come loose and my advance track went out. That one required a trip to the dealer to diagnose but was just retightening and $100 diagnostic fee. Before paying a diagnostic fee I will get a new switch and replace it myself, just wish stuff would stop coming loose.

Back