Top end rebuild, '91 OHV, 95TM heads? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Top end rebuild, '91 OHV, 95TM heads?

MickeySpiers

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
After 270k miles of faithful service, my head gaskets have given up the ghost. The oil pan gasket is shot, and the clutch (original) needs replaced, so I'm going to pull the engine to clean up the gaskets and address the heads. I've run Mobil 1 for the past 19 years and the motor, other than overheating, still runs great. I have zero interest in doing anything to the bottom end other than replace the gaskets/seals, unless I discover an issue. The heads tho, I'm considering some work. Seems I can buy a set of 95TM heads from Odessa for $400 shipped with new valves & springs. This is more attractive to me than doing ANY machine work on my current set, which would certainly need new valves, seats, etc. My lifters, miraculously, are quiet (or get that way after a few minutes when cold). I am also looking at the 410 Comp Cam. I've followed most of the threads I can find from JD and others on their trials and tribulations with engine work and think I have an idea of what I want. This is a daily driver, HAS to pass emissions and need it to stay reliable and extremely drive-able for when the wife unit needs it, so I'm not going to the 422 (plus I don't want to deal with the 988 springs and machining the new heads). I've owned this for 26 years and haven't needed forced induction yet so I'll not be adding that. Altho I drive the thing every day, it's all short distances and I put about 4,000 miles on it a year, so the bump to premium won't kill me if the payback is worth it in power. I've got a doubler so grunt when wheeling isn't a concern, but I'd like to be able to get up the mountain highways around here in something other than second gear... I've already got a set of JBA headers installed, feeding into a custom bent 2.5" exhaust, and don't want to change that. 4.10 gears spin my 32's pretty well already at flat highway speeds, and again my doubler ensures there is no such thing as too little power offroad. So, my questions:

I've seen others order the heads and then different (SI) valves. Obviously this adds cost, and I don't see much reason to go that route instead of the loaded Odessa head as I'm not supercharging; opinions please?
My original 1991 block, 95TM heads (not EQ apparently), Felpro SuperDuty gaskets, 410 cam, Smith Brothers pushrods (will measure but ballpark is 5.550"). New clutch, flywheel and master/slave cylinders while I'm in there. Anything I'm missing?

-Mickey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd do your timing chain and guilds if you haven't already added it to the list. It's a wear item that if your gonna be in it that deep might as well do. I'd check the wear on the rod and main bearings just to be safe. It's a lot of miles even tho the 4.0 bottom ends are pretty bullet proof. Going to 95 tm heads will most likely decide the gas octain for you, you'll more than likely be running premium with the added compression. That's all that i can think of besides maybe a water pump as well.

I will add, if you do get the new slave. Don't use the "new" style C clip fitting. It's complete junk. Mine would not stay in to save its life. I had to drop the trans again and remove the slave, and install the old style hydrolic fitting back onto the new slave. Haven't had an issue with my slave since that happened while I was 120 miles from home.....:banghead:

Are the heads new casting? I've read a lot of things about odessa, not all of it was good.

Thanks for the replies.

Wil - I'll add the Timing Chain & guides to the list. I'd seen somewhere (that I now can't find) that Cloyes was the route to take. Interesting about the clutch C clips, I'll watch for that & shoot for the old hydroloc deal. I've mastered using that disconnect tool anyhow!

Josh - Odessa, after many many emails, finally conceded that they in fact do NOT have 95TM heads; they are either 98 or 90 (maybe 93, didn't get that far as I lost interest). And as JD said in some other post, they don't make the EQ anymore anyways, so I'm back to the drawing board. I've found a couple of remanned 95TMs on eBay but nothing new.

One thing I'm still not clear on; do I need a computer program for the 410 cam? My belief from research is that it's only for the 422...

Aha! Found the post... Thanks to Pteepee69 this will make my order sheet easier. Irritating is that the 422 is MUCH cheaper than the 410 on Summit (probably because it's out of stock) but I still don't want to fiddle with an ECU program or having my truck lose it's placid behavior at idle, so I'll stick with the 410.

Fel-Pro Head Gasket 544SD
Fel-Pro Head Gasket 545SD
Fel-Pro Intake Manifold Gasket MS98005T
Fel-Pro Timing Cover Gasket Set TCS45291
Sealed Power Cylinder Head Bolts 2602509
Cloyes Timing Set 94172S
Comp Cams Energy Camshaft 49-410-8
Smith Bros Pushrods (measure, but probably NH54A-DD 5.550")

Not doing lifters or rocker arms, so don't need:
Sealed Power Roller Lifter HT2244B
Sealed Power Rocker Arm R1092

No idea on these two. Is this required for changing the cam, or is this replacement parts only?
Proform Cam Degree Kit 66787
Cardone Select Camshaft Synchronizer 84S2605

I found EQ heads on ebay. I'm building a motor for my aerostar van. I'm going with flat top pistons and a 422 cam. You don't need the cam synchronizer or cam degree kit.

Where did you find the heads? Key words or seller? Iv been looking for weeks now. That van will throw some people off lol.

Thanks for the clarification on the cam pieces, Josh. I saw one of your earlier posts of scoring the heads; nicely done. I unfortunately don't have time on my side, my X is down which means the wife & I are fighting over the Suburban so I gotta get it fixed with what I can find at the moment. I'm assuming that remaned 95TM heads will be better than the well used 90TM's on my engine right now, so I think that's the route I'll go.

Thanks for the clarification on the cam pieces, Josh. I saw one of your earlier posts of scoring the heads; nicely done. I unfortunately don't have time on my side, my X is down which means the wife & I are fighting over the Suburban so I gotta get it fixed with what I can find at the moment. I'm assuming that remaned 95TM heads will be better than the well used 90TM's on my engine right now, so I think that's the route I'll go.
ENGINETECH CH1033N is a new casting. I tried to research this head when I was shopping, best I can tell it is an oem quality replacement that is brand new. rockauto only has one left in stock...

Where did you find the heads? Key words or seller? Iv been looking for weeks now. That van will throw some people off lol.
A&A midwest was the seller on ebay that I got the heads from, looks like the aftermarket supply of heads is starting to dry up.
I've had 3 vans, each one got modified. The reason for the motor build is I bought an eaton m90 supercharger. I swapped a mustang T5 and 4.10 rear and was impressed with how pissed off people were that they could not keep up with me.

4EF10FF6-85E3-46B9-971F-ED972C8C5954_zpsoqi0zzf4.jpg
4A685C16-180F-4FCB-B4B2-D6208E3F6248_zpspjejzw9x.jpg
I used to have a friend with a little Ford van. He used to drift it and do burn outs all over in that thing. Very entertaining to see lol. Honestly I'd pay money to watch a Ford aero star stomp some rice. I'd be in the passenger seat filming laughing my ass off.

Iv got two engines I want to build. For my 93 daily I plan on doing a boosted engine, currently reading a 17 page long thread, on page 9 after 4 hours lol. I already have a 93 block with new cast heads with 988 springs, SI valves, and bronze guilds. The block has 95+ ohv dished pistons, 422 can, ARP rod bolts and came with ARP head studs as well. The 8:1 CR should work well with some boost. For my wheeler rig I want a HC engine at like 10:1 and all the works, but I need the 95Tm heads to make that build happen. Here's a few pics. 93 daily stock 5 speed. 94 10" lift 35s 5 speed. I also have a 92 parts rig and a 98 daily 5 speed as well.

Just a fyi 95tm and 98tm that almost everyone sells both will bump compression up to 10:1 when used with 90-93tm pistons ..the only difference in a 95tm and 98tm is the exhaust ports..the 95tm have the larger exhaust ports that the 90-93tm heads have..so 95tm will flow SLIGHTLY more than 98tm but on this motor unless your doing major work and boost you will never feel a difference. .and if your doing major work or boost then you need to do port work and honestly the rounder smaller ports on the 98tm heads are easier to port..

I wouldnt think twice about new cast 98tm heads,your butt dyno will never know the difference. .

Pss.. no tune is really needed even with 422 cams..its helpful but not needed..

Psss-SI valves are only really needed with 988 springs..stock valves are 2 piece and can break with the added pressure of 988 springs..to run SI SS one piece valves you need bronze guides installed in the head also..

Back