T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV

Well I got tired of the 4.0 ohv not having any power on the highway climbing the hills on the 62 and having no low end in 4x4 high offroad, especially now that I have a pickup with a 5.7 v8 in it..

I've been lurking for some time since I've been kinda busy with work but, I got my hands on a Turbonetics T3 T4 hybrid so it's project time. It has the .48ar T3 turbine and a f1-57 trim T4 compressor. I expect this thing will spool FAST but I am not making any claims to being too familiar with forced induction..worst case scenario is there's a problem I can get a higher trim turbine.

I plan on having it live just behind and to the right of the alternator after doing test fitting. Its snug but should work nice to draw through my snorkel set up and for routing the exhaust.

Now, I have a concern about drawing through the stock airbox with a K&N drop in.. will this be too much suction and cause oil to get past the center housing seals?

If I hit full boost before highway cruising speed will that boost still be effective once in the higher RPM's? ie: is 7lb boost (where I plan to limit it at) at say, 1500 rpm still 7lb boost at 3k rpm?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the guru advice and input. I'll try to post through the project and get some pics up since everyone likes pics.

:usa: 'merica

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pistons and rings are enroute. I've got a melling oil pump and pickup on order. Engine hoist and stand, mounts, seals, arp rod bolts, bearings and maybe a crank if mine isn't in spec. are what's left followed by the machine work tear down and rebuild. I'm going to see if I can borrow a hoist and stand before I buy. I'm anxious to get it done but I have to wait to see if I'm moving. If I am it's not going to happen until that's all said and done...maybe summer or fall :/

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Pistons and rings are enroute. I've got a melling oil pump and pickup on order. Engine hoist and stand, mounts, seals, arp rod bolts, bearings and maybe a crank if mine isn't in spec. are what's left followed by the machine work tear down and rebuild. I'm going to see if I can borrow a hoist and stand before I buy. I'm anxious to get it done but I have to wait to see if I'm moving. If I am it's not going to happen until that's all said and done...maybe summer or fall :/
Go with stock size??
You get the M328 pump?

I bet you cant wait,i said the same thing and my stuff has been at the machine shop for over a year..lol

Stock size yes, if my cylinders are out of spec I'll have to send them back to exchange for an over size and have the block bored. We'll see.. I'm really hoping I haven't run it long enough with the blow by and that the block has worn well over the years... Won't know until it's measured. I really just prefer to have the parts all on hand before tearing into the engine so it goes back together as quickly as possible.

I did order the m328. It should make a huge difference with the oil cooler I'm running and the plumbing for that and the turbocharger and should help keep all the new top end parts better lubed than the stock ones ever were.

It will be awesome to have the build done and turn the key for the first time.
I'm almost at the point of admitting I've lost to myself and doing a full size drive train and SAS while I'm at it lol. But I really hope I don't this hobby is getting pretty expensive.

The local ups guy dumped pistons and rings off for me today should have an oil pump in the next week too.

Crank and bearings are coming in next week and that's everything for parts but the hoist and stand

Tweaker rode up to my porch on a bike and made off with the crank before I could get home. :censored:...

WHAT!! thats why i make it so i gota sign for parts..mannnnn that sucks!!

Yeah I tried but the FedEx delivery manager system has been down. You could see the bike tracks in the sand all the way up to the door and back across the yard again

Damn..that really sucks man..sorry to hears this.we work to hard on our projects for something like that to happen and what is he gonna do with it...Craigslist . ..

Probably not even that. Jerk probably just has it sitting in a junk pile out behind his meth trailer

Been dealing with the holidays and a back injury so still looking like summer before the rebuild will happen. I've got an overhead chain hoist that my buddy and I are going to mount up in his shop. So now it's just a matter of time.

Hey guys, I'll be leaving Tatooine soon and the truck will be going into my buddies garage 1st week of April and the new heads are going to the shop for the machine work. It's a good shop so their busy and expect a 2 week turn around. But ill have the engine pulled and bottom end done by the time I get the heads back and by May I'll have it back in action. Going to improve up pipe and wastegate pipe design while I have it out to fix some clearance and flow issues as well as rebuild my snorkel intake to have removable fittings and improve reliability. Starting to get pretty excited again...
one un related thing I'll Have to do while I have the time is brace the rear frame. My swing out carrier is bolted to one side and the end of the frame flexes in a twisting motion. It's not huge at the frame but at the end of the carrier it droops 6+ inches and that's without the tire or fuel cans. Im thinking of spanning the frame tails top and bottom with 1/8" flat bar and just welding them in.

Also splurged for a roof top tent (RTT) so I'll be welding the cross beams for that together while im at it.

I cut some c-channel steel that will ride over the factory mounting rail as the mounting base and used 1/4" hex bolts and T-nuts to secure to the rails.

1 inch square tube will serve as a riser from the mounting plates to the 1inch square tube cross beam keeping it low pro on the roof and very strong. It only needs to support 150lbs but i feel much better having it stronger to take all of the dynamic forces the RTT will add duringfreeway driving and trail use. Once it's all welded together some rubber plugs will goon the ends. The overhang is so I can add additional beams in the future for additional rack carrying capacity.

Then I will have to figure out some sort of method to lock it all down as RTT theft is on the rise due to the rising popularity and pricing making a market for used ones.

I'll throw some pictures up for those who like pictures and will be documenting the engine build in April as time permits.

juR6sJ.jpg

Base mounts bolted to the rail marked for welding.

lGhxoK.jpg

Mock up of the rack. The rear OEM cross bar will go away. The tent will fit snug between the lights and the lift gate when open.

Future plans for onboard air and a pressurized water system with microbial filtration in the works.

That roof top tent sounds awesome, I cant wait to see the finished results!
I will be looking forward to engine building pics too.
Hey is Tatooine a real place or a Star Wars joke? I always loved Star Wars!

That roof top tent sounds awesome, I cant wait to see the finished results!
I will be looking forward to engine building pics too.
Hey is Tatooine a real place or a Star Wars joke? I always loved Star Wars!

Star Wars joke. I'm out in Joshua Tree still.

Well after reading this novel of a post for the last 9 hours while at work (12hour shift) I'm just in awe. I love the build man. Crazy you started this 2 years ago. I want to built a turbo setup for my 98 second gen that is also red and a 4x4. Probably use this thread as a reference for just about everything. I also have 3 other first gens as well. A stock 93 5 speed and a lifted 10" SAS 94 5 speed on 35s soon to be 37-38s. Plan on also building a high compression performance NA motor for my lifted one. NA=extra long term reliability lol. I also just started a on board air setup and a 10gallon stainless steel pressurized water tank (for long trips drinking water). I'll be following along and hope to have my own build threads soon. I'm from Oregon, been following EF for a while but haven't posted much till now since rick got on my case.... lol. What state are you in? I really wanna see your explorer lol. Hope you bonk a tweaked over the head with the new crankshaft!

Well after reading this novel of a post for the last 9 hours while at work (12hour shift) I'm just in awe. I love the build man. Crazy you started this 2 years ago. I want to built a turbo setup for my 98 second gen that is also red and a 4x4. Probably use this thread as a reference for just about everything. I also have 3 other first gens as well. A stock 93 5 speed and a lifted 10" SAS 94 5 speed on 35s soon to be 37-38s. Plan on also building a high compression performance NA motor for my lifted one. NA=extra long term reliability lol. I also just started a on board air setup and a 10gallon stainless steel pressurized water tank (for long trips drinking water). I'll be following along and hope to have my own build threads soon. I'm from Oregon, been following EF for a while but haven't posted much till now since rick got on my case.... lol. What state are you in? I really wanna see your explorer lol. Hope you bonk a tweaked over the head with the new crankshaft!

Glad the info will be of help to you that was the whole reason started documenting.
I'll be back in Wa within the month.

Some things I'm changing besides the high performance engine build is my wastegate location. I need to make sure it's not contacting anything as the pipe got stress fractures from vibrating/smacking into under high torque the d35 axle tube. Turbo doesn't work so well with a leaky
feed pipe.

An aftermarket front bumper will probably be in the future to move the winch forward and allow a larger intercooler if needed. The desert in so cal showed me that heatsoak with the intercooler was my biggest enemy even at 8 lb, performance would severely suffer in the heat. But, the electric fan running all the time as a draw through was a huge help.

If there was something I could do different it would be scrapping the a.c. system (keeping pump for onboard air) and having a custom turbo manifold made to place the turbo a little higher from the shock and frame.

Food for thought to improve off of what myself and others have done. Sounds like you've got a lot of project ahead of you. And done right, which I think I'm finally getting around to, as well as keeping boost and tunes conservative, should be just as reliable of an engine as the next 4.0l... always hoping heads don't crack...

You can use stock retainers and locks with the 988s..install height of 1.6 so the head spring seat AND the valve seal stem needs to be milled..stock lifters are fine and NO a taller lifter would not work,it would come out the bore to far and hit the head..the head prevents you from removing the lifters fyi..also i believe the 4.6 has oil holes for the pushrods,4.0 does not

You can keep you stock lifters just clean them and check for broken springs..here is a video

@jd4242 hey, do you remember the spring rate that milling to a height of 1.6 gives you? My machinist is starting you work out a plan for the heads this afternoon.

Back