Windshield wipers won't stop | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windshield wipers won't stop

Maybe. I haven't had time to really look, been working. Friday I should have some time to look into it indeapth. There are grounds all over these vehicles so hopefully finding the ones linked to wipers and lights will turn out to be follow a wire type. Seems sensors have loosened or gone over the years. Had an O2 sensor go bad in the emissions system, $100 fee and extended warranty still for that one. Had a temperature sensor (the one that measures outside ambient temp) loosen last summer, truck kept telling me it was -10 F out and AC wouldn't work when it was 80-95 out. Re tightened that and haven't had an issue since. Then had a sensor/ wire come loose and my advance track went out. That one required a trip to the dealer to diagnose but was just retightening and $100 diagnostic fee. Before paying a diagnostic fee I will get a new switch and replace it myself, just wish stuff would stop coming loose.
Just picked up my Explorer. They replaced the Rain Sensitive Wiper Processor. The processor is located inside the car, on the windshield behind the rear view mirror.

Mrs. Crispie Bacon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just picked up my Explorer. They replaced the Rain Sensitive Wiper Processor. The processor is located inside the car, on the windshield behind the rear view mirror.

Mrs. Crispie Bacon
Thank for reporting back. That is the first time that anyone has posted about having that item replaced. Let's hope that was the problem.

Peter

The rear wiper on my wife's 2013 explorer limited wouldn't turn off last week. I found this thread and youtube videos documenting the problem. It appeared to be the wiper stalk that was usually the problem, so I ordered a new one off of Amazon for $32.15, part #SW7688. I replaced the stalk, and now everything is back to normal. Before the stalk came in, I removed the interior panels from the rear lift gate and unplugged the wiper motor to eliminate the "annoyance" for my wife. Ford is quickly coming down to Chrysler's level of electronic quality.

Ford is quickly coming down to Chrysler's level of electronic quality.
Really? This seems to be the first post regarding this particular issue. As for the others in this thread, any sensor or switch can go bad at any time and it can apply to any vehicle. The more that manufacturers begin to install such electronic 'convenience' devices, the more likely it will be that you will see issues like the ones in this thread. FYI, that switch is $23.72 on several sites. Or $39.20 from the dealer.
Switch Assembly - Ford (SW-7688-) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

I have owned a 2002 GT Mustang, 2003 Mustang Cobra, 2010 F150, 2013 Explorer, and 2015 Mustang GT. The 2013 explorer and 2015 mustang have had backup cameras that only work from time to time, inverters in consoles that never work, and now the wiper stalk failing. The 2012 Focus had MFT issues that everybody had too. I had no electrical problems from the previous fords. I've never owned a chrysler product that didn't have expected electrical problems. My experience with chrysler is limited, though. I've had two wranglers and worked on wranglers of several other folks. They have issues like power windows stop working and require an ignition cycle to reset. A/C will not turn off unless you ignition cycle in certain scenarios. Lights that will not turn off unless you ignition cycle. The TIPM on a friends chrysler town and country (VW Routan) welded the fuel pump relay closed and kept draining their batteries until he figured it out. My battery on my 2015 wrangler died in a year suddenly. That's a Johnson Controls battery quality issue, but chrysler gave them the business.

I have a 2016 XLT and the front wipers wouldn’t turn off. They worked regular and fast speeds, but not intermittent. I replaced the switch, but that didn’t work. I purchased a new wiper motor and am looking for instructions on installing it.

I have a 2016 XLT and the front wipers wouldn’t turn off. They worked regular and fast speeds, but not intermittent. I replaced the switch, but that didn’t work. I purchased a new wiper motor and am looking for instructions on installing it.

I would think the motor is fine if it works in other speeds. I thought it’s just a dumb motor. Works or doesn’t. I would suspect a bad ground somewhere or possibly the controller.

I had an issue a few years ago where the wipers were always on. It was stuck on some intermittent speed and would not stop. I replaced the switch with a new oem one and have not had a problem since. I have heard others say a bad ground can cause strange things also.

Welcome to the Forum Keith.:wave:
Do you have the 'Rain Sensing' feature?

Peter

Front Wipers will not turn off. They stay in the slowest speed even when the switch is in the off position. It will work on all other speeds. It just will not turn off.

Was poking around...think this is going to take replacing the switch arm on the steering column. I have seen discussion about a park relay (don't think this is it).

Any suggestions on anyone that has done this recently?

^^ Your thread was merged with this one on the same issue. There is also; Wipers stuck on

Peter

I have a 2016 Platinum Explorer with 3400 miles. I have had the car in the shop no less than 6 times with electrical issues. Now, the windshield wipers when in auto mode won't stop. The first WSW problem was they just came on. When I took it in, they couldn't make it happen. The next time, they just went off, they told me to turn them completely off, leave them off and see if they came back on. what is the point in auto wipers if you have to leave them off. Now, they go off every 15 seconds. I can't get the car in till Thursday.

Has anyone else had this problem? I would like to go in and tell them what is wrong.
I’m having the problem now. How did you fix up?

I’m having the problem now. How did you fix up?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are they ON steady or are you just getting the occasional wipe now and then?

Peter

Back