2016-17 Sport / Platinum Exhaust Tips | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016-17 Sport / Platinum Exhaust Tips

Mistiko

Reaction score
City, State
San Juan, PR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Hi guys I have a magnetic limited 2016 and I'm looking to buy asap the part number of the sport or platinum model exhaust tips also the grey valance cover and the upper black one. can you guys send me the part numbers please because I want to buy it and some dealers told me that cant find it.

Also if anyone can have give me a good discount source of have it let me know, thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What you are looking for is an insert, It is not an actual part of the exhaust pipe but rather an inserted trim piece. I believe it may be shown as number 17 on this diagram if scroll down to the 2nd illustration. Looks like the left and right inserts are priced differently but averages to about $235 each. You can get the other info from the same picture.
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...gine/body-cat/bumper-and-components-rear-scat

Peter

exhaust trim.JPG

What you are looking for is an insert, It is not an actual part of the exhaust pipe but rather an inserted trim piece. I believe it may be shown as number 17 on this diagram if scroll down to the 2nd illustration. Looks like the left and right inserts are priced differently but averages to about $235 each. You can get the other info from the same picture.
http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...gine/body-cat/bumper-and-components-rear-scat

Peter

View attachment 94572

Thanks peterk9 thats exactly whats i need, thank you so much.

I received the coverts parts but no the exhaust tips.

Thanks

I don't think they fit the explorer ltd the rear bottom bumper is not the same.

I don't think they fit the explorer ltd the rear bottom bumper is not the same.
yes i know, i will buy the valance and rear bumper also. i need the part number of the muffler tips i cant find it.

Keep in mind that the entire exhaust system is unique to the Sport and Platinum models. That's because the EcoBoost V6 engine in the Sport and Platinum uses a true dual-exhaust system with two separate pipes from front to rear, whereas the non-turbo V6 uses a Y-pipe to move exhaust to the rear via a single pipe, then another Y-pipe to distribute the exhaust to each of the rear-mounted mufflers.

thanks for the info, when i get the exhaust tips im going weld very properly to the stock mufller and i think is going to to look nice. As soon i make this upgrade i will send pics. Right now looking best prices for these mod.

thanks for the info, when i get the exhaust tips im going weld very properly to the stock mufller and i think is going to to look nice..........
Those inserts seem to be a very thin metal with plastic liners. At first I thought the whole thing was plastic. I don't know about welding these.

Peter

Good morning guys,

Just finishing this up on a 2017 PI Utility. Would like to share to help save time and money. I did a bunch of leg work before I took this on.

Your bumper cover is basically 3 pieces. The upper portion, which is the largest piece, is painted and will contain your back-up sensors. The middle portion is typically flat black and I have discovered that this is the same on all models. I initially thought I was going to have to replace this but didn’t need to. The last piece is the lower fascia. I believe there are 4 varieties. There is one version that has a raised eyebrow or half moon around the exhaust tip coming off the resonator. This is available in flat “carbon” black or in silver. The other version has the rectangular exhaust openings is for the Ecoboost and is available in gloss “absolute” black on the Sport and silver on the Platinum.

My PI had the flat black lower fascia with the half moon over the tips. Even though it’s an Ecoboost, it doesn’t get the rectangular openings so that Ford can still mount a recovery hook to the left rear, near the resonator. I’m assuming that if you get the rectangular openings on a civilian Eco model, then you at least have the rear receiver to pull from if you get stuck.

I also installed an OEM receiver on the PI and had to change the wiring harness. I’ll save that for another thread. The main pieces I needed to go from the base / PI fascia to the Sport look, was the gloss black fascia and the tip surround. Interestingly enough, I found it was cheaper to buy the fascia as an OEM accessory versus buying it as a replacement part:

https://accessories.ford.com/vehicles/explorer/2017/exterior/trailer-towing.html
The accessory part number on the gloss black is GB5Z-17K835-DA. The silver is GB5Z-17K835-EA. Has a retail price of $96.56 with a dealer cost of $67.59. I was able to buy it for $74.35 at my local dealer.

The replacement part number is FB5Z-17K835-EPTM. That lists for $219.95 with a dealer cost of $131.97. It will usually wholesale around $150 - $160. So, as you see, the accessory part is really the same thing, but cheaper.

Next was the exhaust tip surround. Retail for $289.80, dealer cost of $173.88, usually wholesales around $200. I found these used on eBay for MUCH less, made the guy an offer and he took it. Look for a seller on eBay “itemsforeverything”. He has sold several used sets of these.

Rear bumper has to complete come off. Not a bad job, there is a hidden bolt behind the wheel well trim, about half way around. These were a PITA. I ended up leaving them on the car and holding them out enough to remove that one bolt on each side. The lower fascia has about 20 taps on the top holding it to the middle bumper section. Then, there are 8 rivets holding them together at the bottom. These are aluminum and drilled out easily. The new fascia comes with rivets but I may go back with plastic fasteners. The exhast surround has a plastic bracket going around it with 6 holes. Will probably use plastic fasteners on it as well to attach it to the middle section. Concerning the exhaust openings, it mounts to the middle section and the lower fascia goes on around it.

I’ve got pics and will post them once I wrap everything up.

wow, very good information. It happens a few days ago, talked to the ebay guy, sold the two exhaust and it was you, lol. and he dont have more available, already ask him.

Good to know all these details, i called today to some dealers around but doesn't have in stock.

will try to find these parts online.

When you have it done send pics i will do it also.

Thanks Peter. I have a '17 Sport so I wouldn't need to replace the valance. Was hoping someone just sells the chrome surrounds in black. Sounds like there's no aftermarket source and I might just have to paint them.

Thanks Peter. I have a '17 Sport so I wouldn't need to replace the valance. Was hoping someone just sells the chrome surrounds in black. Sounds like there's no aftermarket source and I might just have to paint them.
Please keep us posted on blacking out your exhaust tips. I have eliminated the rest of the chrome on the rear of our sport, and am considering the same. The only thing that gives me pause, is I am certain if I paint them, at some point they will require touch up. I hate turning a maintenance free item into something that requires maintenance in the form of periodic touch ups in order to stay looking good.

I had my mufflers and exhaust tips on my other car painted black and have not had to retouch them in years. You shouldn't have any issues with these since they're just the surrounds and not the actual tips that would normally have extreme heat. I'm sure the surrounds will get hot as well but not as hot.

Hi Inane222 can U please let me know how to remove rear valance? is it only rivets that are holding in place also do I have to take out bumper ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, several rivets on the bottom. Unfortunately, the rear bumper cover has to come off. The upper part of the lower valance has a bunch of tabs that lock into the bumper cover, real PITA to get out. I ended up using those cheap, yellow interior trim tools from Harbor Freight to release the tabs.

Back