Obsessed with cleaning? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Obsessed with cleaning?

The definition of true love.....cleaning inside your hubcaps, inside your doorjambs, under the kick panels, taking a Q-tip to the air vents and climbing underneath to hose down your spare with tire wet.

Am I the only one nuts enough to clean places like these? How about you? What have you cleaned that usually gets overlooked? :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grant, keep up the good work!!! I know the people over that board are crazy, IMO. I wouldn't spend $400+ on just towels alone. But hey, I got sucked into getting $50 Klasse wax system from CMA. Let me tell ya, that wax is awesome!!! I layered like 3 coats of SG and it looked shinier than the brand new ones on the car dealer lot.

Anyways...like I said, I'll be spending all day Tuesday detailing my car but this time, I'm gonna do something different. I'll be claying, AIO, and SG as usual, but I'll layer 2 more coats of SG (total of 5 coats) and I'll be layering a coat of #26 on it. I think it'll give it a more shine. Grant, what do you think?

I'll post some pics Thursday.

EDIT: Just noticed something...3 more posts to the century mark!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by aldive
Hihn, does the oven cleaner remove any paint it gets near?
Having a rough day with those fingers? ;)

It didn't remove any paint from the engine block, so I don't guess it would remove any from anything else in the engine bay either.

detail

I litterally crawl under my X with some simple green and armorall....even the wheel wells....lol

Yob and Al,

Four Wheeler had one of those tips submitted by readers who uses oven cleaner on some part in his engine that had baked on buildup, and he says to spray off any overspray onto paint, since it will remove wax and/or streak paint. It'd make sure to clean it off just as a precaution. If it can remove 500 degree baked on grease, it could prolly harm your paint somehow.

Billy,

Sounds like a good setup! What clay will you be using? I found the Mothers one at Advance, so I bought it. I Dawn washed and cut about a third off the bar (plenty to do the Explorer) and went to work. I didnt really like the Mothers QD that was supplied with it. I guess it does teh job right, but I really got sick of the smell. Next time I will use Meguiars. But after I was done I could for sure tell a difference, since the paint was totally smooth, and when I started applying #7, it went on and came off much easier than usual. Afterwards I applied #26 to the hood and Eagle One WET to the fenders, doors, and liftgate. I think thats what I did anyway :confused:

But, if you clay and AIO, wouldnt that remove the 3 coats of SG you already have on, or do you mean you will AIO and then put on 5 coats? And if you put on the #26, and you wanted to put on more SG later on, you would have to AIO again, right? (Got that? ;) ) I would see how I liked the 5 coats of SG before I put #26 on. It'll come out sweet either way you do it. Good luck buddy!

Grant

Originally posted by yob_yeknom
Having a rough day with those fingers? ;)

It didn't remove any paint from the engine block, so I don't guess it would remove any from anything else in the engine bay either.

LOL! :rolleyes:

Jeez this thread is giving me tooo many ideas for things to do on a bored summer day. I REALLY need to find a job lol. I went to walmart this morning to look for a mother's day card (they were all out :rolleyes: ) but I found myself in the Automotive section looking at different cleaners. So some things Im gonna need to try are clay bar and Eagle one. Neither of which I've done before so any help would be appreciated. Also is it hard to do the clay bar by hand?

Grant,

I bought Clay Magic, since it was $10 at Auto Zone. it's a blue clay bar. Since I'm at school right now so I haven't worked on the car. My first impression of the clay is that it is very soft, unlike Mothers. But I'll see how it works out Tuesday. I used Mothers back in November and my grandfather mistaken that was a piece of garbage so he threw it away.

About the clay part, yes, it'll strip the AIO away. I'm doing it is because it has been 6 months without detailing other than washes and also because I felt contaminents on the hood, which stuck there even after washing it so I'll be using the clay. If I put #26 on there and wanting to put another coat of SG on it (Yeah right...more when there are 5 coats already?!?!?), then all I have to do is dawn wash and then lay more SG on it, or you can wait for a few months since canauba won't stick around that long, especially in the summer. But I'll see if I need #26. I haven't bought the wax yet so I'll see. If I do need it, I'll go get it and layer it. Either that or I'll layer Gold Class wax on there.

Ok89,

You're a little late to buy something for your mother. Haha...don't worry, I bought my card last night. Anyways, the clay is very easy to use. Like what Grant said, cut a third of the clay and start claying. If it's dirty, just ball it up and flatten it and continue where you stopped. Remember to keep the surface lubricated when clay is going through the area or it'll start stripping your clearcoat away. For me, I put Klasse's All In One wax on there, then start layering Sealent Gloss on there. I'd recommand the wax system because it's just like Zaino, but without as many steps and it's synthetic so it'll last for a long time. But it will cost ya. I bought mine for $50 but you can wax that thing at least 40, 50 times because it is recommanded that you use about 2 oz. each per car.

alright im confused. What do I use to keep the paint lubricated? (something i can buy at walmart or Autozone would be best) and what clay do i use?

Okay , I don't feel so wierd. I wax my door jam's lift gate jams , fender jams , under hood and the inside edge of the flares. Under the hood I use either Meguirs interrior protectant stuff. Or Armour-All tire stuff. BTW Armor-All tire spray sucks on tires cause it makes them all stickey and sand sticks to your tires. I am back to using Meguirs Endurance on tires.
I use a squeegie on my exterior glass after washing. Keep's em crystal clear. Those are my only " secrets "

Originally posted by ok89
alright im confused. What do I use to keep the paint lubricated? (something i can buy at walmart or Autozone would be best) and what clay do i use?

Alright...get the clay at Wal-Mart, it's called Mother's Clay or something like that. It's the only clay at Wal-Mart. While you're there, get Maguair's Quik Detail spray. That's the lubrication to the clay. Wash and dry your car first then spray some quik detail on a little area then slide your clay across the surface. Hope this helps.

billy you've reached the 4 digit post mark!!!! lol lata man

LMAO!!!!! Nice to know there are people out there that are more obsessed with cleaning than I am ;)

Geez, there's so many useful things in here, where to start? Okay, firstly, what's #26? Some kind of wax?

Nice pics of all the X's (even Perry's,lol). Oven cleaner, eh Yob? What brand? Did you cover the battery and such? If yes, with what?

I tried the clay bar deal once and didn't like it because I couldn't see any noticable difference. I know very little about 'exfoliating' the paint to get the impurities and oxidization out....any suggestions? I know that I've put 1 coat of Liquid glass, two coats of IBIZ (mercedes stuff that they sell at the All Ford nationals), and one coat of turtle wax on in the last two weeks to try and cover up some scratches (Yob knows what they look like, lol), but no dice. I also tried some of Turtle wax's polishing compound, but all it did was scratch the he!! out of the paint :mad: . Any suggestions on products that I can find locally?

Black magic makes a low shine cleaner for the dash that smells like cherries..I find it works pretty well. I was using Tire wet on my Goodyears, but even letting it sit overnight to set would still leave little smudge marks all over from driving it the next day (tires flinging the stuff all over), so I stopped using it. Besdies, after the first rain it would be all gone and the rub marks from rocks will show up clear as day.

Glad to see that you all take pride in your X's enough to keep them spotless-makes me proud to know you guys ;)

Here's my baby at it's shiniest:

Attachments

• bjrear.jpg
    bjrear.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 260

I just have to throw this out. My '95 X, owned since '97, has been washed externally about 20 times. Internally, about 10 times. Waxed twice. Polished wheels 3 times.

Yes, I'm lazy and cheap.

Robb

PWI

Originally posted by morrisey0

PWI

LOL. I see you have started your new thing huh?

Originally posted by morrisey0
I just have to throw this out. My '95 X, owned since '97, has been washed externally about 20 times. Internally, about 10 times. Waxed twice. Polished wheels 3 times.

Yes, I'm lazy and cheap.

Robb

PWI

BUT you have the LADDAR mod! C'mon!

Spas,

When I clayed I didnt really notice much of a visual difference, but I could for sure feel a change. Once I sprayed the lubricant on the paint I rubbed the clay back and forth lightly in overlapping strokes and I could actually feel the paint getting smoother. I went back and forth until it was totally smooth, and then buffed the quick detail spray off. Whenever I applied polish afterwards, it went on much smoother than it ever had. But if you have tree sap or some sort of contaminate on the paint that washing wont remove, clay should take care of it. I was unable to get some tar off the fender though, so it may not get everything off.

#26 is a wax made by Meguiars. I got mine at Auto Zone for around $10 I think. It works really well and can bead water for quite a while, and it can be layered.

A regular wax wont take scratches out or really cover them up, they just make the paint shinier so I guess its less noticeable. To take out light scratches and swirl marks, you are going to need a swirl and scratch remover. Some polishes may help reduce them also, if they have light abrasives in them. I havent found any good locally available swirl/scratch removers. The onyl thing that I noticed any difference with was Meguiars Scratch X. It didnt really remove any of them, but it made the paint look newer and sort of wet.

And I would for sure stay away from 'compounds'. A rubbing compound will wreak havoc on your paint, and I believe its only used in very small areas to sort of even out the paint if theres a scratch or something there, I'm not sure. I imagine a polishing compound would have the same effects. I have a jar of rubbing compound in my detail cabinet, but it was only to take the oxidation off the rims and trim on the project F250.

But good luck and have fun!

All this can be done without a buffer correct? Today and tomorrow (and maybe the next day) I'm working on my room (getting everything organized) and cleaning out my walk in closet that I havent been able to walk in for over 4 years. But next week I plan on doing this.
My X has small swirls in it from the brush at the coin wash. How do i remove these?

Before clay barring should I wash with dishwashing soap or will normal car wash soap be fine?

Are these the correct steps?
1) wash entire vehicle
2) dry entire vehicle
3) mist small area with quick detailer
4) rub small area with clay
5) repeat steps 3 & 4 until all painted surfaces are done
6) wax

Before clay barring should I wash with dishwashing soap or will normal car wash soap be fine?

AUGH! DON'T EVER USE DISHWASHER SOAP ON YOUR VEHICLE!!! That's one of the WORST things you can do to your paint, especially on an X as newer as yours! (by new I mean "newer than the first two changes that Ford did to the Explorer") I don't even use a brush on mine anymore simply because brushes trap a lot of dirt particles and they always scratch the paint. I know my jet wash doesn't allow hand washing, but no one's ever stopped me from doing it anyway-just grab a bucket and a chenille mitt (usually less than $5) and set the hose on soap to fill up the bucket. MUCH better than a brush and/or dishwasher soap!

thanks, LTD-maybe I will give the clay another shot....The Meguire's scratch X (scratch "X", lol-get it?:rolleyes: ) worked wonders, but you can still see the scratches in bright sunlight-I doubt they'll ever truly disappear. I returned the polishing compound-maybe I'll give that #26 a shot too ;)

Zaino recommends using Dawn dishwashing detergent on your vehicle ( to remove all wax ) prior to using their goods.

Back