Casper - 98 XLT diagnostics/repairs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I introduced myself yesterday morning before I decided to dig into the headlight situation. I went in armed with the knowledge that the multifunction switch (wiper/signal/high beam combination switch) on the column was the likely culprit. I had to prove it to the hubby though.

Took my tool kit out and started tearing down the dash. I won't go into details bc there are dozens of posts here re: this exact issue. Before I got very far I had to check all fuses, as some dim wit had wired two sets of aftermarket fog lights straight to the main headlights. I demanded the previous owner fully remove them prior to purchase.

My tip for digging into this project is to have some pliers available in case your tilt wheel stem has never been removed. There's a nice little flat groove on it allowing it to be unscrewed. I greased it before putting it back in, so that it would be easier to turn next time.

So, I got the MFS out and decided to take it apart and check it out. There was a ton of corrosion, so I took some very fine grit sandpaper to the contacts. I discovered a little removable plastic card with two contacts on it, one of them was obviously fried. I cleaned it, added some dielectric grease, and put it back inside the switch.

I put the switch back together, but I pushed that little card in too far, I'll explain here in a minute. Put the switch back on the column, replaced the column shrouds and tilt wheel stem and metal guard under the steering wheel. I put the keys in, turned it to on position, then hooked the battery back up. Presto! Lights!!!!!
Then the battery started smoking. Ugh.

Turned it off and unhook battery quickly. Assuming the lights were drawing too much voltage without the engine running, hooked battery back up without key in. Started Casper up, still lights. As soon as MFS was pulled to check brights, there was a crunch. .. where I had placed the card too far into the switch with the lever in the wrong position. Duh.

Lights went out, brights began flickering with jiggle of stem. Looked up a new (not used, brand spanking new) mfs on eBay --- $25!!!!! Ordered immediately.

My question --- I purchased the sploder with the rear view mirror unhooked and had fallen off the damaged windshield. Would this cause an open circuit and make the battery fry since it controls the automatic headlight function? I left the battery unhooked while I wait impatiently for my switch and my new front brake rotors and pads. Hoping if I put the mirror back up before I replace the mfs, the new mfs will not fry....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks.She is a work in progress costing me thousands ! I have much more work to do.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

asilverlake%20024.jpg

Ok i will stop LOL i am being a photo *****.I am just so proud of it.

@98 MERC I've seen your truck on YouTube before, nice nice truck.

As for the OP, you've got a nice truck there, certainly has potential, I picked up a 2nd truck the 2nd of this month if memory serves, 2000 with the V8.

IMG_20170320_190756_407_zpsjltmzwlf.jpg

ROFLMAO!!!!!!! LOVE that last under the hood photo!!!! SOOOO clean and purty!!!! I'll get some more pics of mine soon. I am a possessed lady saving parts and adding up pennies hahaha. I can never make up my mind what to do first after the caliper, MFS install, and windshield. If the dang windshield doesn't fix my leak issue Imma be pretty disappointed.

@RandomNerd2000 , nice! Yeah I'm excited to get it on the road ASAP. I've been without "my own" truck/suv for 2 months now and I am tired of the tiny sports car. I feel like I'm in a go-kart and gonna get run over, not to mention I can't see over all the trucks. In these parts, rule of the road is this: "He (or she) who has the biggest truck has right of way, except to old folks or children crossing the street, tractors, and horses."

@98 MERC I've seen your truck on YouTube before, nice nice truck.

As for the OP, you've got a nice truck there, certainly has potential, I picked up a 2nd truck the 2nd of this month if memory serves, 2000 with the V8.

IMG_20170320_190756_407_zpsjltmzwlf.jpg

Thanks man.Yes i have a youtube page.pontiachotshot. I have cold start videos of the truck etc.Are you a subscriber ? whats your screen name ?

ROFLMAO!!!!!!! LOVE that last under the hood photo!!!! SOOOO clean and purty!!!! I'll get some more pics of mine soon. I am a possessed lady saving parts and adding up pennies hahaha. I can never make up my mind what to do first after the caliper, MFS install, and windshield. If the dang windshield doesn't fix my leak issue Imma be pretty disappointed.

Hey thanks !

Damn!

Everybody else's truck is much shinier than mine. Why do I keep dumping $$$ in her?

I remember. There's no explaining, it it must be love

Omg holy conversions sploder fans, I have been reading about the 5.0 AWD to manual 4WD thread. ... I'm putting those parts on my freaking list, I need that extra power and gas mileage for hauling my giant hooved critters around!

Anyone have suggestions on other mods recommended for towing 5-6k lbs?

My 98 Ex has the 5.0, and the OD off button for hauling, but no dang receiver hitch just the bumper ball. So I've got to get a class III receiver at minimum, and wire in a pigtail for trailers. Anyone added a dual connector, with both a flat 4 pin and a round seven pin? Oh yeah and a brake box of course.

I don't know yet what transmission is in it, is there one that is more recommended, and did the 5.0 for 98 come stock with a specific transmission? I'm doubtful that the original engine and trans are in mine as the odometer shows 225+k miles.

Also.... different subject. ... have tried both methods of turning off the automatic door lock option that are listed here and in the manuals, not only on my own 98 Ex but my husband's 97 Ex as well to no avail? No honks, no cycle through door locks, nothing. How am I messing up? ?? Did the keyless pad too, same results. My Ford makes me feel like an idiot. ...

Thanks in advance for all the excellent advice.

Damn!
Everybody else's truck is much shinier than mine. Why do I keep dumping $$$ in her?
I remember. There's no explaining, it it must be love.

I purchased my Exploder to have a 2nd vehicle. Something that I didn't really have to care about, and that I could drive while working on my fun car. I only have about $2k into her in total, but, I do understand the appeal of these old 2nd gens.

To add to my roadworthy list: replace right front caliper since bleeder screw is just fubared.

Also found that I will need a front drive shaft as my "AWD" vehicle is fully equipped for it, complete front diff, transfer case, but NO durn shaft. SMH.

Rotors and pads replaced. Waiting for fedex to bring my MFS switch. In the meantime, impending storms have halted attempts to remove bleeder screw.

Note: If the front drive shaft is missing that often means that the transfer case/center differential for the AWD is damaged. When the front drive shaft is removed on the AWD the truck may also slowly creep away when parked on an incline. This is due to the way the t-case works on the AWD when in PARK.

Looks nice, but I think the chrome oil cap is probably not a good idea. The engine's crankcase needs to be sealed for the PCV valve to work correctly.

@98 MERC I go by a couple different names on there, gonna be doing a channel eventually.

OP, you likely have both the original engine and trans, my 2000 has 260K on it, original engine (still really good shape IMO) and a trans about 15K ago, so you're likely all original.

Note: If the front drive shaft is missing that often means that the transfer case/center differential for the AWD is damaged. When the front drive shaft is removed on the AWD the truck may also slowly creep away when parked on an incline. This is due to the way the t-case works on the AWD when in PARK.

I figured as much on the t case being damaged. And after reading about these AWD trucks on this forum, became aware of the creepiness they come with while the drive shaft is missing. Quite amusing, I laughed over and over at multiple poster's stories of how their trucks were mysteriously moving. So so so glad for this forum. I'm upgrading to elite when I can, I've already saved much time and money by doing research here. Thanks guys!

Looks nice, but I think the chrome oil cap is probably not a good idea. The engine's crankcase needs to be sealed for the PCV valve to work correctly.

I dont know what to tell ya man.I have had that breather on for 3 years now and nothing has happend.I have no air pressure that comes out of that filler at all.No check engine light.It literally changed nothing for 3 years.It looks cool tho.

Progress! Switch arrived, installed, tested good, reassembled dash. Let there be light! :-D

Changing the rotors and pads fixed the vibration, yay!

Waiting now on windshield and new calipers. Then have to investigate rear brakes as the parking brake certainly does NOT work. Chocked with a stump for now to avoid creepiness.

Back