Casper - 98 XLT diagnostics/repairs | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I introduced myself yesterday morning before I decided to dig into the headlight situation. I went in armed with the knowledge that the multifunction switch (wiper/signal/high beam combination switch) on the column was the likely culprit. I had to prove it to the hubby though.

Took my tool kit out and started tearing down the dash. I won't go into details bc there are dozens of posts here re: this exact issue. Before I got very far I had to check all fuses, as some dim wit had wired two sets of aftermarket fog lights straight to the main headlights. I demanded the previous owner fully remove them prior to purchase.

My tip for digging into this project is to have some pliers available in case your tilt wheel stem has never been removed. There's a nice little flat groove on it allowing it to be unscrewed. I greased it before putting it back in, so that it would be easier to turn next time.

So, I got the MFS out and decided to take it apart and check it out. There was a ton of corrosion, so I took some very fine grit sandpaper to the contacts. I discovered a little removable plastic card with two contacts on it, one of them was obviously fried. I cleaned it, added some dielectric grease, and put it back inside the switch.

I put the switch back together, but I pushed that little card in too far, I'll explain here in a minute. Put the switch back on the column, replaced the column shrouds and tilt wheel stem and metal guard under the steering wheel. I put the keys in, turned it to on position, then hooked the battery back up. Presto! Lights!!!!!
Then the battery started smoking. Ugh.

Turned it off and unhook battery quickly. Assuming the lights were drawing too much voltage without the engine running, hooked battery back up without key in. Started Casper up, still lights. As soon as MFS was pulled to check brights, there was a crunch. .. where I had placed the card too far into the switch with the lever in the wrong position. Duh.

Lights went out, brights began flickering with jiggle of stem. Looked up a new (not used, brand spanking new) mfs on eBay --- $25!!!!! Ordered immediately.

My question --- I purchased the sploder with the rear view mirror unhooked and had fallen off the damaged windshield. Would this cause an open circuit and make the battery fry since it controls the automatic headlight function? I left the battery unhooked while I wait impatiently for my switch and my new front brake rotors and pads. Hoping if I put the mirror back up before I replace the mfs, the new mfs will not fry....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love it when a project comes together ! No better feeling then that.I have never used my e brake.I have no idea if it works and i am not going to press that pedal.I might have my mechanic press the pedal when its at his shop so if it sticks then he can fix it on the spot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 01 I have, I'm absolutely certain the ebrake doesn't work on it, the cable broke, and is hanging down there, no clue why, isn't a rust bucket.

Hahaha my husband's 97 XLT has no ebrake either! However, I actually need mine, as there is no front drive shaft and park is controlled through the front diff. Sigh. I'll get these quirks worked out one by one!

I probably should've asked about that when I got the truck, but it was a price drop point and I don't use it so, my V8 has both so I got lucky

Our first SOHC XLT had a broken driver's side parking brake cable when we got it. We didn't really use it, but it had to get a GA state inspection (salvaged SC title) to get it registered and I figured they'd check it. The "inspection" was a joke. I met the guy in a parking lot. He didn't even look at the truck, filled out some forms and took my money. The brake cable was a ***** to replace, but I didn't really know what I was doing at the time and couldn't figure out how to release the tension on the piece that went to the parking brake pedal.

As far as replacing the parking break shoes - I did this job on our '00 AWD Mountaineer (just in case I ever ended up removing the front driveshaft). Afterwards I decided if I ever have to do this job again I'll pull the axles first, inspect the rear end internals, replace the axle seals and change the gear oil while I'm at it. It is quite difficult to change the rear parking brake shoes because of the weird retainer hardware, the multiple springs and trying to work behind the axle flange. It's a major PITA.

Yeah, the emergency brake is a kinda known issue...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/emergency-brake-not-working.446534/

Mine had it when I got it. I paid an A-hole too much to sort it out for me. Was not aware of the Forum then...

Super reference article, thanks much @Spuddy. I'm hoping it will be a simple fix, since the yuppy who sold me my truck says he replaced rear brakes. .. thinking he didn't hook something up right. Who replaces one front rotor and not both, and wastes an entire set of pads on a warped rotor? Or has no clue the front drive shaft is missing? Or bottoms out the durn bleeder valve and strips it? Come on guys. I'm not a genius when it comes to vehicles but my goodness, even this "stupid girl" knows better than the above blunders.

Oh, and I did briefly inspect the cable while I was counting bolt pattern for drive shaft. Seems to be intact, and feels right when lever is depressed. No fiddling on Sundays though, that's the rule around here. I suppose I'll just take this beautiful day to go play with the ponies. :-D

My V8 truck, the cable feels like it's hooked up, but it's really stiff, and I haven't romped on it to break it yet, probably should tackle the cable in the 01 sooner or later.

I am waiting on the glass tech to get here and install the windshield. I'm going to snap a photo of the broken glass and water damage. I've managed to get rid of the mildew smell and staining by taking a 10% bleach solution to the headliner and carpets. I need to take the air compressor to my sunroof drains as well, but I do not think any of the dampness in the liner is from the sunroof. Guess I'll know sooner rather than later.

After that just waiting on my new calipers to arrive. Once front calipers are replaced, I'll investigate the e-brake more. One little project at a time...

Update: I'm going to rename Casper. New name: Annabelle... NOT so friendly ghost... Switch fixed headlight issue. Had to cancel Safelite due to herniating a disc in my neck when I tried to put the tire back on. I know, wimp. I didn't used to be so weak, but when chronic illness takes over, once simple tasks become giant mountains to overcome.

Put the mirror back up temporarily in the meantime. I think some water is getting through the cracked windshield and affecting the auto-lamp sensor? Sometimes the headlights like to just turn themselves on, out of the blue, without key or start or anything. I'll just walk outside and see the lights on! Possessed I tell you... Unhook ground on the battery to reset, hook it back up, then its fine for a little while. I'm going to take note next time it rains and see if the two show correlation.

In other and good news, received front calipers and installed. THAT was fun. NOTE: Be sure to install new brake calipers with bleeder valve ON TOP, brake line in banjo screw on BOTTOM. Maybe I'll get a photo next time I have the wheels off. Guess what happens if you install these on the wrong sides, upside down? (laugh away, I found it quite entertaining myself) NO BRAKES, and you go through 2 big bottles of DOT3 brake fluid... SO! If you're new to wrenching on your own vehicle, that's my tip of the day. Explorer calipers are symmetrical and CAN BE MOUNTED INCORRECTLY. Once the calipers are mounted correctly on the proper sides, vacuum pressure will finally hold and stop squirting out slime at you. It's no wonder the rotors and calipers were messed up, they were previously installed incorrectly as well!

We are roadworthy now, tags, title, insurance (holy cow thanks Farm Bureau for a $27/mo policy!!!!!!), lights, brakes, mirrors.

I picked up a door handle on eBay for $6 shipped for the passenger side front door. Handle and shroud were completely gone. Couldn't find the durn handle rod for a few minutes, then realized some person had maybe installed a new window track or motor, and locked the rod outside the track which does in NO way allow the handle rod to reach the handle. During that project I had to breakout my shmexy miner-esque streamlight head lamp as dusk had fallen quickly upon my "it'll just take 5 minutes" project. Unscrewed 2 of 3 window track mounts VERY carefully, and gingerly pushed the handle rod to the inner door side of the track. BINGO. It fit in perfectly, and all the plastic doo-hickeys were in place as well as the tiny metal lock grommet to keep the handle attached to the rod. Didn't even try the handle until 2 days later, but worked like a charm and now my husband can let himself out of my vehicle. LOL

I also splurged a teeny bit and picked up a couple little horsey decals for the back. I really like how they look on the back glass!

20170415_130547.jpg

Then I pulled out the pet barrier I have been carting around, the supports were rusted solid and I hadn't had a chance to fix it. I took a bunch of liquid wrench to the two supports, sat on the barrier part in the trunk of the 'sploder, and took a pair of vice grips to wiggle the supports out so I could install the thing properly. Came out really nice, I think!

20170415_130453.jpg

Now I'm taking a break for a couple weeks to have physical therapy on my neck, then the first week in May I'll be back at the projects! Happy Easter all!

I'm pretty sure not just the top of the windshield seal is leaking. I have got to wait for a break in this rain and get out the air compressor to clear my sunroof drains. Casper-Annabelle is leaking like a sieve. Sigh.

I took the compressor to the sunroof drains. No change in the small drip from the drivers side front corner of the liner around the sunroof. Ugh. I'm starting to think I need to pull the liner out and have a look at the roof... maybe one day...

Found a local salvage yard with a spare carrier/winch, stock bottle jack, tire iron and handles... why the heck do people remove these things from a vehicle???

Also found that the headlight issue of turning on without the truck on or not turning off was magically fixed when I put on a $7 pair of battery terminals. And the idiot that had the truck before me had tried installing a headlight switch, gotten frustrated, and sold it to me at what I thought was a steal.

Have Safelite scheduled again for early June. Fingers crossed the new windshield fixes my leaks...

Well, looks like Casper is either going to get a new Ex body, or I'm going to use for daily until I save for a real truck. The damage to the windshield is likely from a previously installed glass that cracked bc the A pillars and roof were not properly fixed after a tree or roll over accident. No rebuilt title, no total out on insurance record, just one accident reported. Anyone got a 98-01 4wd body in good shape that needs a good drivetrain? I am so sad bc I really love this SUV.

In other news, he's been parked for a couple days due to a busted radiator. Found a good 2 core heavy duty replacement, should be here late this week. Ordered a new water pump from RockAuto (LOVE THEM) while I've got the cooling system unhooked. Pretty much saw the cooling system failure coming, put a Failsafe thermostat in a couple months back and noticed an overwhelming amount of sludge build up in the housing and reservoir. So, if I find a good body for a good enough price, my purchases will not be in vain.

And again thanks to this awesome forum, was able to surprise the man of the house by installing a new Pioneer head unit to replace the shoddy Kenwood in his 97 Explorer. Didn't realize it had premium sound system with disc changer in his console since I don't fiddle with his truck... I wired everything up, tossed the shoddy previous harness, made sure I wired up the dimmer properly, and turned the truck on. Unit powered up but no sound... after just a few minutes reading here and some sleuth work on the wiring in his truck, BINGO! Light blue stock amp wire! THANK YOU FELLOW SPLODER FANS.

Back