Window Side Vents / Deflectors | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Side Vents / Deflectors

@ Summers22 - Correct. I even have pics of them on my '16 Exp Sport in the media gallery. Check them out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone using the Weathertech In-Channel Deflectors? I had them in my 2014 Pilot (love the look) but they would on occasion cause issues when closing the window. Any issues using the in-channel models or should I buy the 3M tape-on deflectors?

I have them on my 2017 sport. The deflector would hit the window when closing at first, but after a couple days they stop hitting. I don't really open my windows that often so they had some time to find it's sweet spot. No issues with hitting anymore,

Anyone using the Weathertech In-Channel Deflectors? I had them in my 2014 Pilot (love the look) but they would on occasion cause issues when closing the window. Any issues using the in-channel models or should I buy the 3M tape-on deflectors?
Using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature, I found this thread and merged yours with it. Many topics have already been discussed here.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I did try the search function first but I must have used a word or character that excluded this thread. Thanks for digging up the info and merging!

Scott T.

Check out the media gallery. I have pics of my Weathertech in-channel visors installed. No issues on my 2016 Explorer Sport.

[/QUOTE]
Hi, pacman9270, I was looking at your media pics and I noticed you had wallpaper on your interior screen. Did you create that? I have downloaded some but I was wondering where you got yours. (The screen that has "black panther "). Thanks.

Hello, just recently purchased a 2015 ex XLT. I'm looking for some vent visors w/ matching brand bug shield. Heard a couple bad things about the in-channel vent visors with the automatic window up switch. I really like the look of in channel but i don't want issues? Has anyone had any problems?

Hello, just recently purchased a 2015 ex XLT. I'm looking for some vent visors w/ matching brand bug shield. Heard a couple bad things about the in-channel vent visors with the automatic window up switch. I really like the look of in channel but i don't want issues? Has anyone had any problems?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature (upper right). There isn't much that hasn't already been discussed here on the 5th gen Explorer.since it came out 7 years ago. Both types of visors have been used successfully. Good luck and enjoy your ride!

Peter

Thank you, this is relatively new to me.

Hi, pacman9270, I was looking at your media pics and I noticed you had wallpaper on your interior screen. Did you create that? I have downloaded some but I was wondering where you got yours. (The screen that has "black panther "). Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Yes. Use a thumb drive formatted to FAT32. Some files will not work. I can't remember what the file extension was. I believe is was a .jpeg.

Any issues with the power windows afterwards on the in-window channel vent visors? Just bought a 2017 Platinum and looking to make some minor changes/additions. Installing a set of AVS in-channel vent visors in the in-laws Buick was a disaster!

Any issues with the power windows afterwards on the in-window channel vent visors? Just bought a 2017 Platinum and looking to make some minor changes/additions. Installing a set of AVS in-channel vent visors in the in-laws Buick was a disaster!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Check out post #195 and a few subsequent ones. Most members seem to have no issue with them. FYI, I found 42 posts in this thread with the word WeatherTech in them. Didn't check them all.

Peter

I currently have the Ford OEM Window Deflectors / Window Vents on my '16 Explorer. I've never really been in love with them since I put them on, as I have the silver car with the top of the window line going down the car - the car window frames/pillars are black and make a nice clean line of black down the side of the car with the silver above it (I hope that makes sense). With the Ford vents with the double-sided 3M tape, the top of the vents is higher than that nice black line, thus breaking up the "clean look" of it. (I'd take a picture but I already took them off).

So, aside from the OEM deflectors breaking that line, my front passenger door deflector started peeling off, flapping around while driving, so it gave me an excuse to replace them with the Weather Tech in-channel vents, which I bought months ago. I'm just now getting around to wanting to put them on SO I pulled off the Ford OEM Deflectors - and, of course, 1/2 the 3M tape stayed on the car - so now I have a nice, sticky outline of gooey tape, tape residue around all my windows. Before I put the Weather Tech deflectors on, what is the best way to remove all the tape goo and remaining tape "foam"? I have Goo Gone but I'm not sure if it's safe on car paint.

Does anyone know the best way to remove a LARGE amount of 3M double sided tape residue without harming the finish?

Goof off. It is safe i use it with no worries...

Goof off. It is safe i use it with no worries...
Thanks. I did some research AFTER I posted this (I'm a little backwards at times) and that's what many sites said - Goof Off (but not Goo Gone, it's too harsh) supposedly works well or just plain ole WD-40 is also supposed to work as well. I was hoping someone had some ideas that would be less messy and less toxic (can't stand the smell of WD-40!).

Thanks. I did some research AFTER I posted this (I'm a little backwards at times) and that's what many sites said - Goof Off (but not Goo Gone, it's too harsh) supposedly works well or just plain ole WD-40 is also supposed to work as well. I was hoping someone had some ideas that would be less messy and less toxic (can't stand the smell of WD-40!).

Not less messy, but definitely less toxic, and I've found it works well on everything I've needed it for, including double sided tape. I got it at Ace Hardware initially.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product...fl_title_23?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3TX4YUK2VIRSQ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have installed the in channel air deflectors from WeatherTech in my 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum. They fit just fine and they only took 15 minutes to installed them. Never had a problem with the sensors in the front windows. When installing them I just pulled on the deflectors while bringing up the window and didn't touch the window for 72 hours and they work just fine. I have used WeatherTech air deflectors in my 2012 Explorer Limited , 2013 Explorer Sport and now in my 2016 Platinum Edition and I can honestly say that they are the best air deflectors in the market.

Here are some photos of the window deflectors already installed in the 2016 Explorer Platinum,

View attachment 87919

View attachment 87920

View attachment 87921

View attachment 87922

View attachment 87923

View attachment 87924

View attachment 87919

View attachment 87920

View attachment 87921

View attachment 87922

View attachment 87923

View attachment 87924

Nice pics. Does anyone have any pics of their explorers with either the OEM stick ons or weathertech in channels? Im on the fence on both and want to get one soon for my 2018 xlt. Do the stick ons sound noisier? Just want to see more opinions.

Back