2017 Explorer Platinum Purchase Report | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Platinum Purchase Report

StevenC56

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Platinum
We took possession of our 2017 Explorer Platinum on Friday evening 3-31-2017! It replaced our 2007 Lexus GS350 which has been the best vehicle we have ever owned. We had the Lexus for almost 10 years. Although the Lexus had only 75K miles, it was showing signs of age and was getting a bit loose and quite a few rattles had developed in the last couple years. This is the longest we've ever kept a vehicle in our 40 years of marriage. Having worked in the automotive industry as a service tech for 22 years and now 17 as Tech/Service manager at a Motorsports dealership, I know how age can be even more of a factor than mileage when things start to deteriorate and fail. We decided it was time to part with "Frosty" before any issues popped up, and while the trade/sale value was still decent.

After a couple months of discussion and looking at all cars and SUV's, we decided an SUV was what we wanted this go around. We did have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe for right at 3 years from 1999 to 2001, but other than that my wife has driven only cars as her primary vehicle. We looked at pretty much every SUV within our price comfort zone. (and a few outside if our price range as well)

We had originally thought we wanted a smaller SUV that would be easier to drive. Lexus NX my wife thought. Then we realized just how small they were, and took them off the list. Our vehicles need to make us feel good, and have to be pleasing to our eyes. They are more than just transportation to us. We drove a couple Edges and a Lincoln MKX. The Edge Sport looked nice and had the features we wanted, but the ride was a bit harsh. The MKX was more refined, but out of our price range when equipped comparable to the Edge. Didn't really care for the grille on the Lincolns either. Looked at the Toyota Highlander, BMW's, Lexus RX, Infiniti's, GMC Acadia, Caddy XT5, Kia's, Hyundai's, Hondas, Acura MDX, Mercedes-Pretty much everything. Nothing was really getting us excited visually.

All the European brands end up out of our price range when you add all the tech packages, and although the fit and finish sets the bar on the luxury brands, we know all too well how they seem to always be in the shop for glitches and electrical woes having owned a 2003 BMW 530i for close to 4 years.

We haven't owned a Ford product since we first were married. My Grandfather was a Ford lover back in the day. That was the preferred family brand and my choice back in my hot rodding days. Had a 1970 Torino GT that I spent way to much time and money on, but it did help me develop my mechanical skills. Then at the age of 20 I got a job as a technician at our local Chevrolet dealership, and it was all Chevy's for the next 22 years. First vehicle purchase after leaving the Chevrolet dealership was a 2001 Olds Aurora between the Tahoe and the BMW 530i. I still drive a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado for my primary vehicle. Had a 1990 Z71 and a 2006 Silverado prior to my current 2016 truck.

We seemed to be drawn to the look of the Fords. Made contact at our 2 local dealers. 1 was quite responsive, the other one not so much. 2 other Ford dealerships within 25 miles just didn't seem to want to commit on price until we came in. At 60 we're not going to play the Dealership BS game. We went to responsive local dealership to check out a couple Edge Sports they had, and then found out there was a recall for the driver's airbag and none of the Edges were available to drive of buy in the color we wanted. (White Platinum) Would have been nice if the Sales Manager had told us that before we came in, and we felt like he held that info back to make sure we come in. That's where we drove an Edge Sport plus the Lincoln MKX, but we were not impressed with this dealership for a lot of reasons. Had contacted a few other dealers out of town, and got the best response and feeling from the Ford Store in Morgan Hill. They notified us about the recall and said it could be a while before that was resolved. When we mentioned the Edge Sport's somewhat harsh ride, they suggested the Explorer Sport and said they would make us a stellar deal on one. Hadn't really thought about the Explorer. Larger vehicle than we had planned on for sure. We seemed to be drawn to the look of the Explorer the more we looked. After putting all the options we wanted on the Sport, the price jump to the Platinum really wasn't much. The Platinum started to look very attractive. But how would it drive and feel? Too big? Fuel mileage not terrific. The Ford Store told us they would extend the same pricing they offered on a Sport to a Platinum or any other vehicle on their lot for that matter. Made an appointment with our Sales Consultant Logan Summers to drive both an Edge Titanium, and an Explorer Platinum. We took the Lexus to Car Max and got a purchase price of $11K from them. The Ford Store was very interested in our trade, and they asked us to bring it for evaluation.

Arrived Sunday March 12th and Logan had both the vehicles staged and ready. Logan is fantastic young man. (Boy are we getting old) He has knowledge and integrity that unfortunately is not what most sales people his age have. With me, saying that "I don't know the answer but I'll find out" goes way farther in my book than trying to act like you're an expert by making up BS answers to everything. We were quite comfortable dealing with Logan. We never once felt anything but total honesty from Logan, his manager Michael Tran, and our finance manager. All straight shooters. We drove the Edge Titanium first, and although the ride was smoother than the Sport we drove at our local dealer, the vehicle was just lacking something. My wife didn't like the bumps on the hood on all the Edges we drove, they seemed to be somehow distracting to her. They had just sold their Platinum in Platinum white the day before, so we drove a red one. My wife drove first, but I think the size was a bit intimidating and she had me switch to drive it after just a couple miles. I really liked the feel of the Platinum. Solid and somewhat firm, but supple and not harsh at the same time. Just goes to show you how a little more weight on a vehicle allows the designers more room to refine the suspension dynamics. I had my wife take the wheel a second time, and she got more comfortable and enjoyed the Platinum's handling and feel. They had 2 more Platinum White units on the way, but is was going to be close on their arrival to get the current $2K rebate Plus 0% interest for 5 years that was ending 4-3-2017.

They looked at our Lexus and said they would match Car Max's offer. We only had 7 days to take Car Max up on the offer, but The Ford Store was OK with us using the Lexus until the new unit arrived, and would still give us the 11K trade in for it provided the condition remained unchanged. We put a deposit down to hold 1 of the units.

Both unit's finished production and were delivered to the Milpitas holding area on Monday March 17th. They finally arrived at Ford Store Morgan Hill last Wednesday the 26th. One of the units had 6 miles, the other had been driven by Ford and had 101 miles. We chose the unit with 6 miles. We were going to try to collect it that day, but had a family emergency come up. After work Friday the 31st we drove to Morgan Hill and picked up "The Beast". Logan took us through the delivery and the Finance Manager Tony Castro gave us a competitive price on the PremiumCare ESP "0" deductible 8 year 100K miles. No other add ons or services. Got a $2K rebate from Ford and our 11K trade in for down payment. Ford Credit 60 months 0% and the first payment is deferred 90 days. Really pleasant experience and highly recommend The Ford Store Morgan Hill especially Logan Summers.

My wife drove all the way home, starting out a bit slow and cautious. After about 20 miles I noticed she was getting used to the new Explorer and she exclaimed that "it drives like a dream". We tried the adaptive cruise control which is really quite cool. The blind spot warning and auto high beams work excellent as well.

We have quite a bit more exploring to do with all this tech, but my wife seems quite pleased and me too. She's getting quite comfortable driving "Beast" for almost a week now. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and comments here over the next 8-10 years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I wish you the best of luck in looking out "8-10" years with the EX.
While I have no regrets jumping on the Ford bandwagon, I have my reservations on the reliability.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I wish you the best of luck in looking out "8-10" years with the EX.
While I have no regrets jumping on the Ford bandwagon, I have my reservations on the reliability.

Well, all vehicles tend to be pretty reliable these days compared to 15-20 years ago. Plus we are easy on things, take really good care of them, and we purchased the 8 year PremiumCare warranty. I don't think there would be as many of these on the road as we've noticed if the reliability was that bad. I've talked to half a dozen owners in person in the last couple months, and they all had positive comments.

Well, all vehicles tend to be pretty reliable these days compared to 15-20 years ago. Plus we are easy on things, take really good care of them, and we purchased the 8 year PremiumCare warranty. I don't think there would be as many of these on the road as we've noticed if the reliability was that bad. I've talked to half a dozen owners in person in the last couple months, and they all had positive comments.

If you got the ESP then you'll be fine. We got our Platinum a couple of months ago and we love it. My wife is a big fan of the cooled seats whereas I'm a big fan of the powerful engine.

Ok, so you're banking on ESP to cover you; would you be so sure without it?
What is your plan to mitigate and to deal with the carbon buildup that is likely already occuring on the back side of your intake valvles due to the 3.5EB being direct injected?
How about all of the electronic modules and the fact that once your APIM goes, there goes your HVAC control (not including GPS and radio), as I can live without those two looking ahead into 8yrs or more?

Ok, so you're banking on ESP to cover you; would you be so sure without it?
What is your plan to mitigate and to deal with the carbon buildup that is likely already occuring on the back side of your intake valvles due to the 3.5EB being direct injected?
How about all of the electronic modules and the fact that once your APIM goes, there goes your HVAC control (not including GPS and radio), as I can live without those two looking ahead into 8yrs or more?

You act like it WILL go out. How many APIMs have gone bad with Sync 3? How many have gone bad or I should say have people been complaining about since the 14/15 timeframe? The whole APIM fiasco was really a MFT issue, not Sync 3. Saying that will go out I feel is the same risk as a PCM, TCM or any other module (very low at this point).

Why do people continuously bring up this Carbon buildup topic? I hear it every now and then but I don't read about engine failures. I don't read about it on the Ford forums or the truck forums. I don't hear about it from techs that I talk to, service advisors and any of my "connections" if you will within Ford. I'd run a good fuel and just not worry about it personally.

The one thing I would do that has been discussed on here is to change the PTU fluid every year. Some say up to 30k but then have already said it's black. I'd just do a 1 year fluid change or every other oil change.

@StevenC56 - I hope your wife enjoys her new Explorer for a very long time. One thing I know for sure...Life is easier when wife is happy. :)

You act like it WILL go out. How many APIMs have gone bad with Sync 3? How many have gone bad or I should say have people been complaining about since the 14/15 timeframe? The whole APIM fiasco was really a MFT issue, not Sync 3. Saying that will go out I feel is the same risk as a PCM, TCM or any other module (very low at this point).

Why do people continuously bring up this Carbon buildup topic? I hear it every now and then but I don't read about engine failures. I don't read about it on the Ford forums or the truck forums. I don't hear about it from techs that I talk to, service advisors and any of my "connections" if you will within Ford. I'd run a good fuel and just not worry about it personally.

Why am I bringing up carbon build-up issues?
I have seen blowby vapor and oil residue on the charge pipes and now that I have my blowoff valves venting to air; not only do I see the residue in and around that area; I can smell them all day long.
This is all going back through the intake manifold and you think it's going to be fine?

Why am I bringing up carbon build-up issues?
I have seen blowby vapor and oil residue on the charge pipes and now that I have my blowoff valves venting to air; not only do I see the residue in and around that area; I can smell them all day long.
This is all going back through the intake manifold and you think it's going to be fine?

Can't complain about smelling it with you modifying the vehicle (blow off valves).. It was not designed that way. And I don't believe it is really any different then all the diesels with their EGR valves and recirculating all the black soot through the intake to be burned a 2nd time.

Congrats on your new purchase, you will love it.
I'm in my 3rd Sport since 2013

Brian

Congrats on your new purchase, you will love it.
I'm in my 3rd Sport since 2013

Brian

This is a testament for them not lasting long! Be prepared to replace yours about every 1.5 years!

This is a testament for them not lasting long! Be prepared to replace yours about every 1.5 years!

The previous 2 Explorers I owned never had any problems. Both where run on synthetic oil, the 2013 had brake pads changed at 70000KM
I only changed the 2013 to a 2016 because the dealer called me and made me a better offer, take a brand new 2016 Explorer Sport for $30.00 a month payment less.
The same thing happened in May 2107, give me your 2016 sport, and take a 2017 Sport this time the payment was reduced by only $20.00 per month.

March 2013 White 2013 Sport 78000KM
Sept 2106 Silver 2016 Sport 55000KM
April 2017 Silver 2017 Sport looking forward to the dealer calling me, so I can get a 2019 Sport
All vehicles 36 month lease.

Brian

"Finance Manager Tony Castro gave us a competitive price on the PremiumCare ESP "0" deductible 8 year 100K miles"
Not including Extended warranty, correct? And what deal did you get on it?

The time period of ownership in the majority of cases has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the vehicle has been problematic. I leas my vehicles so I have them for only 3 or 4 years. No issues with the ones I've had, so your observation is totally flawed.

Peter

Why all the negative comments? The guy bought a new Explorer and he and his wife are happy with it. How bout you all sell your Explorers and go buy a Traverse or Acadia and stop all the thread crapping on this site?

FWIW I just bought a 2016 Limited 4x4 with 42k and they gave made it a CPO for free as part of negotiations, then finance upgraded that to 7 yr 100k b2b for $500. Paid $29,500 before taxes. I am sure someone can find something wrong with my deal, but I am happy with it and thats all that matters. Best of luck SteveC56 (also, my sons name is Logan Summers but he is only 5 years old!)

I'm not sure why we have a dedicated group of alarmist people around here for some reason. Given that the Explorer is SO popular, there is absolutely no proof that longevity will be an issue at all. It's not like the engines being used in the Explorer are a new design or anything. They are time tested and have lasted in explorers and in other vehicles across for Ford and Mazda lines. Although the Turbo engines are a little newer, they have been around for quite a while now too and there is no significant issues that I am hearing about that are beyond a little maintenance.

ANY car can have issues. ANY can can break down. ANY car needs maintenance. Those are facts of life. If you don't like it, buy a bicycle (oh wait.. that might need maintenance too!) Ford is the victim of it's own success in these cases because they sell so many of these Explorers, there are bound to statistically be numbers that have various faults(and people that whine about them). BUT, I don't think this is a high number compared to the number of Explorers out there on the road.

When is the last time you saw an Explorer broken down on the side of the road? I just don't think they statistically have very high numbers of breakdowns in comparison to how many are on the road.

To the Original Poster! Enjoy the Explorer! I just got mine too and I love it.

@MartinF - well said. I also just got my new 2017 Explorer on 03/18/17. I upgraded from an 2013 Escape which was the 1st Ford I have ever bought - mainly because Ford did not take bailout $$ from the feds. The Escape was great and had no issues for 4 years. I expect the same or better from my Explorer.

@MartinF - well said. I also just got my new 2017 Explorer on 03/18/17. I upgraded from an 2013 Escape which was the 1st Ford I have ever bought - mainly because Ford did not take bailout $$ from the feds. The Escape was great and had no issues for 4 years. I expect the same or better from my Explorer.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the welcome!

Back