92 Explorer no start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer no start.

akghandi

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992EB
So I just bought a 92 X EB from my boss, But I cant seem to figure out why it wont start.

story is she parked it one night and then it just wouldn't start the next day.

So far I checked spark, and made sure it has fuel.

It will try to start sometimes so I'm sure its getting fuel and spark, it just wont run.

It cranks over fine and it doesn't sound like its low on compression.

Also if I hold the throttle full open while I crank it will pop through the intake.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

an engine needs 3 things to run, air/fuel, spark at the right time and compression. if one of these are missing it won't run. you checked for spark. what color was the spark? was it a nice bright blue or more of a yellow color? you checked for fuel. how old is the fuel and is it reaching the engine? are the plugs wet or dry? have you checked for obstructions in the intake/exhaust? if all the above check out good your next step would be to check compression. welcome to the forum.

an engine needs 3 things to run, air/fuel, spark at the right time and compression. if one of these are missing it won't run. you checked for spark. what color was the spark? was it a nice bright blue or more of a yellow color? you checked for fuel. how old is the fuel and is it reaching the engine? are the plugs wet or dry? have you checked for obstructions in the intake/exhaust? if all the above check out good your next step would be to check compression. welcome to the forum.

Agreed. I'd be leaning towards fuel myself. How did you check it? Can you put a gauge on the fuel rail and record what pressure you're getting there? Also have you tried whacking the fuel tank real good? If you do that and it starts right up then it's a fuel pump. That trick doesn't always work but it's a pretty sure diagnosis if it does.

I didnt have a gauge but I can hear the pump and it seems to have good pressure at the rail.

I can hear the pump and it seems to have good pressure at the rail.
The last bad fuel pump I had on my Explorer, the pump ran, and it had some pressure, but the gauge showed that the pump was only generating 15-20 psi of pressure. The engine seems to need at least 20-25 psi to really run. I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it and see if the engine is really getting adequate fuel.

I'd see if there are any stored codes in the ecm. Use a paperclip in the eec test port and jump the self test input to use the check engine light to flash the codes. On the eec test port the top row with 2 positions, it is the one on the right and the self test input is the single gray/ silver square plug right next to it.
Had a 90 F250 not start, no check engine light until I pulled the codes. Turned out to be the tps.

I didnt have a gauge but I can hear the pump and it seems to have good pressure at the rail.
I had a 1993 explorer that would read ok fuel pressure when first started. After running a bit, the pressure would die off and the explorer wouldn't idle when stopped. A fuel pressure gauge is the only way to really see what is going on.
-------------------
I moved this thread to the under the hood troubleshooting section.

I'll try all that when I go take a look at it again. thanks guys

Back