Drivetrain high pitch noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivetrain high pitch noise

hoffmannc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I have a high pitch noise coming somewhere in the drivetrain. It only occurs after speed is above about 30 and then disappears if the speed drops below 10 or 15. Once the noise starts, it is a fairly constant pitch but gets a little deeper but still very high if I am on the gas.

Very frustrating since you can't replicate it in the shop. I have looked at the brake shields but don't see anything. It is such a high pitch that it must be some small metal piece being vibrated by a drive shaft?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. This is on a 2002 Explorer 4wd 4.0

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a whining noise? any vibration?

can you post a video of the noise?

@hoffmannc
Support vehicle with very sturdy reliable means, all wheels off ground. Have a helper run drivetrain carefully selector lever in "3", 4X4 must be in 4X4 HIGH, not 4X4 AUTO. Get up to noise level, (30 mph?), while you probe rear differential with stethoscope. Odds are it's gear whine. If not rear, check front. Do this carefully; it helped me differentiate between differential and wheel bearing noise, was actually the wheel bearing. imp

Back