16/17 poor choices of options/packages | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

16/17 poor choices of options/packages

luc

Reaction score
City, State
Salinas Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4WD
2016 XLT 4WD
I was in the market for a 16 or 17 Gen5 and test drove quite a few. XLT, Limited, Sport,etc
My major issue with packages and options is that the only instrument cluster that i want and like is the traditional double gauges, ( tach and speedo) with the 4.2" screen in the middle. Can't stand the the single speedo gauge in the center.
I also wanted heated seats but NO leather
Long story short, the cluster that i want only come in the Base and XLT and to have the available option of heated cloth seat in the XLT, you need to first select another package that include the "upgraded" single gauge cluster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't really checked out the packages right now but I guess you seem to be out of luck. The Platinum has the dual clusters with a center screen but it isn't available with cloth seats. I see you ended up with an XLT. I'm guessing it has the heated cloth seats and the cluster you didn't want. Unfortunately there are only so many options that are offered. My guess is that it's to cut down costs. I don't recall any others complaining about it though.

Peter

I haven't really checked out the packages right now but I guess you seem to be out of luck. The Platinum has the dual clusters with a center screen but it isn't available with cloth seats. I see you ended up with an XLT. I'm guessing it has the heated cloth seats and the cluster you didn't want. Unfortunately there are only so many options that are offered. My guess is that it's to cut down costs. I don't recall any others complaining about it though.

Peter
No, the reverse, got the XLT without heated seats but with the "correct" instrument cluster
2 reasons for it:
1/ As i said i can't stand the central single cluster and you have to look at it all the time
2/ Its a lot easier to put heated pads in seats than trying to retrofit an IC and in California i would only be using them a few times a year
Beside that, i love the truck, smooth, quiet, good handling and good looking
That said, Im still keeping my 1995 4WD XLT with 285,000 miles.
Can see myself 4 wheeling with the 16' and there is something to be said for a body on frame
I'm in the process of retro fitting the towing package and yes, I know what the factory package include.

So why didn't you buy a XLT with the cluster you want and have an upholstery shop add heated seats for about $300?

Edit, you posted while I was typing.

No, the reverse, got the XLT without heated seats but with the "correct" instrument cluster
2 reasons for it:
1/ As i said i can't stand the central single cluster and you have to look at it all the time
2/ Its a lot easier to put heated pads in seats than trying to retrofit an IC and in California i would only be using them a few times a year
Beside that, i love the truck, smooth, quiet, good handling and good looking
That said, Im still keeping my 1995 4WD XLT with 285,000 miles.
Can see myself 4 wheeling with the 16' and there is something to be said for a body on frame
I'm in the process of retro fitting the towing package and yes, I know what the factory package include.
Okay that makes sense. Keep in mind the unless the Explorer was equipped with the tow package that it is only rated to tow 2000 lbs. as posted in other threads.

Peter

Yes, the factory tow package adds a lot.

Yes, the factory tow package adds a lot.
But save for the tranny, and nobody really know the difference, pretty easy to retro-fit for not much more $ than the factory option
Since all the wiring is already there ( talking about my 16' XLT here) you need:
Oil cooler
oil filter adapter
water lines from cooler to lower hose
lower hose
Radiator
valence duct
The lower valence need to be cut for the duct but the marking for where to cut is already there on the back
Tow switch
Tow switch panel
4/7 pin bumper/hitch harness
hitch
rear bumper fascia
About $800 in parts
Please, I know about the 2000lbs/5000lbs argument, so no need to repeat it here
Obviously, I don't include labor cost since its a pretty easy project for me

About 800 bucks in parts and that's not including labor? It was about 570 bucks for the 'factory option' and that includes the tranny. Not much more for the factory option? If your figures are even close, you are spending over 200 bucks more...and you don't get the tranny. So, I repeat, the factory option adds a lot but, I will now add, for a lot less doing it yourself.

I also experienced tradeoffs before I bought the sport. I liked the Platinum instrument cluster better, the outside chrome accents, but preferred the interior "carbon" trim of the sport with the red accent stitching. Hated the pleated stitching on the Platinum and the wood grain. For me that was my deal breaker against the Platinum. And yeah, saved some money going "down" to the Sport, but very happy with it in the end. I'm basically driving a cop car, and if you watch Travelers on NetFlix, that is the new Explorer Platinum in black :)

But save for the tranny, and nobody really know the difference, pretty easy to retro-fit for not much more $ than the factory option
Since all the wiring is already there ( talking about my 16' XLT here) you need:
Oil cooler
oil filter adapter
water lines from cooler to lower hose
lower hose
Radiator
valence duct
The lower valence need to be cut for the duct but the marking for where to cut is already there on the back
Tow switch
Tow switch panel
4/7 pin bumper/hitch harness
hitch
rear bumper fascia
About $800 in parts
Please, I know about the 2000lbs/5000lbs argument, so no need to repeat it here
Obviously, I don't include labor cost since its a pretty easy project for me
Wow, that's alot more than what you made it out to be on the other thread.
Not including labor, this DIY (not for everyone); is more expensive than the factory add-on.

Back