33's with 3.73 gearing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33's with 3.73 gearing?

coolchris

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
what would the drive be like running 33's with 3.73 LS gearing in my v8? i want to run 33's, but i cant afford a gearswap... so now im rethinking 31's or 32's. :( will it really be that bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it wont really be that bad.... but it will be noticable.... a 33 is like 4" taller than a stock tire....... and it may goof up your speedometer and shift points also......

what do you mean by noticable? like will it be hard to accelerate from a dead stop. when im at a red light, will i be kinda slow at starting up?

yes.... the acceleration wont be that great.... however your freeway mileage will increase......

i just did some checking and ideally for near stock you should have a 4.27 or a 4.56 for the closet to stock power on the a little more power side

Don't count on better highway milage. Remember your now sittting higher(more drag), there will be more rolling resistence, and they are heavier. So it's probably a wash.

I agree with Tekeman, it takes more power (fuel) to move your bigger \ heavier rig.

Robb

BTW - Tekeman, you may want to do a little trimming on that signature. Moderators have a habit of trimming it for you if over 6 lines.

Back