HVAC module scan? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HVAC module scan?

rayethan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mercury Mountaineer
Does anyone know if the free scanners at Autozone/Advance Auto etc can read the Ford HVAC module? My A/C isn't working and I suspect it the Evaporator Temp sensor has failed. My FORScan for Android won't read it. It will read the PCM, and that PID isn't there. Or is the only way I get this sensor read is by going to a real mechanic or the stealership? (Is there a free version of some Windows scan software that will read it?)

Thanks,
Ethan

Does anyone know if the free scanners at Autozone/Advance Auto etc can read the Ford HVAC module? My A/C isn't working and I suspect it the Evaporator Temp sensor has failed. My FORScan for Android won't read it. It will read the PCM, and that PID isn't there. Or is the only way I get this sensor read is by going to a real mechanic or the stealership? (Is there a free version of some Windows scan software that will read it?)

Thanks,
Ethan
Try this if its Automatic AC
  • The self-test can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within 2 seconds. The display will show a flashing blower icon for 20 seconds, after which all vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no on-demand DTCs present. If DTCs are present the EATC module will display "00 00" and then on-demand DTCs. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • If any DTCs appear during the self-test, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.
  • If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.
  • To exit the self-test and retain all continuous DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The EATC module will exit the self-test and retain all continuous DTCs.
  • To exit the self-test and clear all continuous DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The EATC module will exit the self-test and all continuous DTCs will be cleared.
  • Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the self-test is exited the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the temperature blend door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
  • Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.

Try this if its Automatic AC
  • The self-test can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within 2 seconds. The display will show a flashing blower icon for 20 seconds, after which all vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no on-demand DTCs present. If DTCs are present the EATC module will display "00 00" and then on-demand DTCs. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • If any DTCs appear during the self-test, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code Index and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.
  • If a condition exists but no DTCs appear during the self-test, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System Is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.
  • To exit the self-test and retain all continuous DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The EATC module will exit the self-test and retain all continuous DTCs.
  • To exit the self-test and clear all continuous DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The EATC module will exit the self-test and all continuous DTCs will be cleared.
  • Always exit the self-test before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the self-test is exited the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the temperature blend door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
  • Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.
Thanks for the extensive reply. But, I can't get that to work for my 2008. It seems that for the 2008, accessing the self diagnostics for the EATC is a mystery.

I'm just going to buy a modified ELM327 with the HS/MS CAN switch.

The OBDlink MX and Forscan will read EATC codes.

Back