MFT Black / Blank Screen | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Black / Blank Screen

I spoke to Wynne Ford who I have done a lot of business with and the service person told me there is nothing they can do because it is 2 months past when the extended warranty expired. Is there anyone on here that has any way of contacting someone higher on the Ford totem pole to possibly get some help with the cost?
We used to have Ford reps monitoring the Forum and they then dealt with the Regional Customer Service Managers but it sound s like Ford no longer has reps supporting any Ford forums. The did have a 1-800 number that was posted with their replies. 1-800-392-FORD. You can try that.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll try the Ford number tomorrow. I appreciate the quick replies! Hopefully some type of help would be nice considering Ford is very aware of the issue concerning a $50k vehicle

I'll try the Ford number tomorrow. I appreciate the quick replies! Hopefully some type of help would be nice considering Ford is very aware of the issue concerning a $50k vehicle

If Ford doesn't help you I would suggest an APIM off Ebay or maybe through Jason (JRM061) on this forum. It will be less than $1000 and it's not a complicated install.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...A0.H0.XFord+APIM.TRS0&_nkw=Ford+APIM&_sacat=0

Also have you tried the battery disconnect for 15-20 minutes to see if that does anything?

I was almost in the market for another Ford for me but this may end my run. MFT blank screen. Took to dealer spent $70 for an estimate just to find out obviously the APIM was bad and needs to be replaced. $950 to replace out of pocket due to the fact the extended warranty has expired. That's crazy I called Ford customer service and they said they can't do anything for us. This puts me over I just want a cheap stereo with out all that technology if Ford can't back their product I won't support Ford. Good luck

I was almost in the market for another Ford for me but this may end my run. MFT blank screen. Took to dealer spent $70 for an estimate just to find out obviously the APIM was bad and needs to be replaced. $950 to replace out of pocket due to the fact the extended warranty has expired. That's crazy I called Ford customer service and they said they can't do anything for us. This puts me over I just want a cheap stereo with out all that technology if Ford can't back their product I won't support Ford. Good luck
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As for the APIM, Ford did back that up by changing the warranty to 5 years, unlimited mileage. Warranties don't usually go on forever and items do tend to break down. There was also an option to purchase an ESP but what you spent was less than what an ESP would have cost. There are some others that feel as you do but as for me I'm on my 4th Ford product (2nd Explorer) and I'm anxiously waiting to see the redesigned 2020 model as my next possible Ford.

Peter

Sounds like a good time to get a Sync 3 Nav unit with screen. Would probably end up being cheaper than a Dealer Sync 2 replacement.

Problem is mapping on the coding to turn on all the features you have.

As for the APIM, Ford did back that up by changing the warranty to 5 years, unlimited mileage. Warranties don't usually go on forever and items do tend to break down. There was also an option to purchase an ESP but what you spent was less than what an ESP would have cost. There are some others that feel as you do but as for me I'm on my 4th Ford product (2nd Explorer) and I'm anxiously waiting to see the redesigned 2020 model as my next possible Ford.

Peter

Check the date on the extended warranty we have a 2012 explorer with 86k miles on it. Very well garage kept taking care of. We are 10monyhs past coverage for the MFT junk

Haven't had an Explorer since my 02 but was looking at buying my daughter a 2011 Explorer but is the black screen thing still going on or has it been fixed? Tried reading up on it, but a lot of websites have said Ford issued upgrades to the software but then no updates after that on if the updates fixed the issues. Thanks for any help.

Haven't had an Explorer since my 02 but was looking at buying my daughter a 2011 Explorer but is the black screen thing still going on or has it been fixed? Tried reading up on it, but a lot of websites have said Ford issued upgrades to the software but then no updates after that on if the updates fixed the issues. Thanks for any help.

2011 was the first year of the Gen 5 Explorer and there were some significant growing pains with production.

Go through the TSB Thread on this forum and educate yourself.

I'm not saying all 2011 builds were bad, I'm saying many 2011's had issues beyond MFT.

I returned my 2011 Ex Limited under Lemon Laws for a number of things and bought a 2013.

IMHO I would buy 2013 or newer, the slight increase in price and extra warranty especially the 5 yr MFT warranty is worth it.

Can I suggest two options...........

First, ask your dealership Service Manager to get you in contact with the Regional District Service Manager and see if he/she will extend some assistance for this well known APIM issue.

Second, look on YouTube, there are many videos of replacing your APIM, it's not that hard, you can buy one on Ebay for $200-300.

As an example here is a Focus APIM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-FACTORY...ash=item4d4ff44dd4:g:WxkAAOSwnHZYRbA9&vxp=mtr

2011 was the first year of the Gen 5 Explorer and there were some significant growing pains with production.

Go through the TSB Thread on this forum and educate yourself.

I'm not saying all 2011 builds were bad, I'm saying many 2011's had issues beyond MFT.

I returned my 2011 Ex Limited under Lemon Laws for a number of things and bought a 2013.

IMHO I would buy 2013 or newer, the slight increase in price and extra warranty especially the 5 yr MFT warranty is worth it.

Thanks. I didn't know about all the power steering issues.

So my wife and I have a 2012 Ford Explorer 4WD Limited and we just started getting the Black Screen of Death. After reading this thread just found out that the APIM is probably 99% the issue and that Ford extended the warranty to 5 years unlimited mileage. Unfortunately, 5 years was up 2/20/17 and obviously today is 04/19/17. Is there anything we can do? I don't have $1000 to throw at a new APIM and it controls the backup camera and the navigation as well as any music at all. I have already spent a lot of money at Wynne Ford and Bowditch Ford replacing a ton of other parts and maintenance. Any help would be sincerely appreciated!!!
Goodmank, did you find a solution here? My wifes 2011 ford explorer also has the APIM died and im at a point of fixing it myself since it seems simple enough... just trying to clarify what the part No it is, where it is located (behind control unit or somewhere else?), a quick 'how to' what I might need to do to program it?

Goodmank, did you find a solution here? My wifes 2011 ford explorer also has the APIM died and im at a point of fixing it myself since it seems simple enough... just trying to clarify what the part No it is, where it is located (behind control unit or somewhere else?), a quick 'how to' what I might need to do to program it?
I don't think that you can order an APIM. When a dealer orders one to replace a defective unit the old APIM has to be returned to Ford.

Peter

The part itself was ~$600 I was quoted $870 plus $70 inspect fee we had it done paid the money. 1 day later check engine light came on we are looking for new chevy or Chrysler i've had way too many issues with this 2012 Ford explore under 80,000 miles. I can't afford to keep taking it back for service 2 to 3 times a year.

The part itself was ~$600 I was quoted $870 plus $70 inspect fee we had it done paid the money. 1 day later check engine light came on we are looking for new chevy or Chrysler i've had way too many issues with this 2012 Ford explore under 80,000 miles. I can't afford to keep taking it back for service 2 to 3 times a year.
Ah! sorry to hear that. Yea well i think we are in the same boat (car) we will get this fixed up then get it off our hands ASAP for a more reliable vehicle - or more specifically for a brand with more integrity. Its a shame, for me its not so much the mechanical issues as it is their handling of them. Fords moral compass seems to have gone downhill big time denying all fault and refusing accountability... just a take your money and run business now. Im still concerned about the fume smell in the cabin on acceleration too, cant be safe for the family

Ah! sorry to hear that. Yea well i think we are in the same boat (car) we will get this fixed up then get it off our hands ASAP for a more reliable vehicle - or more specifically for a brand with more integrity. Its a shame, for me its not so much the mechanical issues as it is their handling of them. Fords moral compass seems to have gone downhill big time denying all fault and refusing accountability... just a take your money and run business now. Im still concerned about the fume smell in the cabin on acceleration too, cant be safe for the family
It's unfortunate that some owners experience this situation with their vehicles and/or dealer. I can assure you that there are also many who do not. My dealer has been excellent and my vehicles have been great. I'm sure that if you check other manufacturer's forums that you will find the same kind of unhappy owners. I was a member of one of the Toyota forums and the same kind of posts would pop up from time to time. In any case I wish you good luck.

Peter

It's unfortunate that some owners experience this situation with their vehicles and/or dealer. I can assure you that there are also many who do not. My dealer has been excellent and my vehicles have been great. I'm sure that if you check other manufacturer's forums that you will find the same kind of unhappy owners. I was a member of one of the Toyota forums and the same kind of posts would pop up from time to time. In any case I wish you good luck.

Peter
I suppose you're right... the grass is always greener right

I also am having issues with my screen. I have a 2012 explorer XLT the screen has been black for about three weeks now. I took it to the dealer today and after sitting there for three hours they said the computer would not link to the radio and I needed a new radio. My question here is what part of my radio do I need to replace?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also am having issues with my screen. I have a 2012 explorer XLT the screen has been black for about three weeks now. I took it to the dealer today and after sitting there for three hours they said the computer would not link to the radio and I needed a new radio. My question here is what part of my radio do I need to replace?
I don't think I've heard this explanation before. Did they check the APIM? That is the most common cause for a black screen.

Peter

Back