What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 43 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

I see a lot of you guy's paying $100 or more on labor for mud guards. I installed a set of weathertech mud guards on my sport, and it's a pretty quick install. No drilling necessary.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New Westin Contour Bull Bar and Unity SAE clear fog lights (I live on the coast, they're needed).

ExpNuLights2.jpg

ExpNuLights1.jpg

Now I have to remount the front plate.

thanks for the info. I actually have an appointment set up for monday and was planning on matching the rears. very reputable shop local to me, I asked them what factory was and they said on all the fords when people come in asking to match they use 20%.

I had 35% on my F150, but it always felt too light in color from both the outside looking in and vice versa.

When I had my front windows tinted to match the rear on my 2016 they said the stock rear tint was approximately 18%.

When I had my front windows tinted to match the rear on my 2016 they said the stock rear tint was approximately 18%.

I believe you are correct. I had them do 20%, which is a verrry close match to the rears, but in bright daylight the rears are just a tad darker.

Whats interesting though is that from the outside they look almost identical with the rears being slightly darker, but from the inside the fronts look darker that the rears. Not sure if its because the aftermarket is a film on the glass and the rears are manufacturered with a tint. Anyone else notice this?

I've always done 35% on the fronts to stay legal, but after having an F150 with 35% it wasn't dark enough because of how much glass there is. the 20% on the explorer is definitely the proper shade for me, and I have no issues with visibility at night or with foul weather.

20170417_162044_zpsqznosz6w.jpg

20170417_162052_zpshzuv088d.jpg

Nice guys, it's a pleasure to look at each page on this thread with so many different little mods that make a visual difference.

I carry a lot of stuff for the dogs, and they're with me part of every day. I got tired of having stuff floating around, or having an organizer tied to one of the tie downs at the back, so I built a cargo box. It's not the greatest craftsmanship, because I am not good at cutting long, straight lines. Sometimes short straight lines either. :(

I finished it yesterday. I built it out of 3/4" and 1/2" MDF, painted it black, and covered the top with black rubber runner from Lowe's. The same thing lines the drawers.

It's 44" x 40". I didn't want 44" long drawers, so I made them 24", and the 20" at the back has a hinged door, that will eventually have a lock. I fold the seat forward to access it. It's covered with my existing cargo/pet liner.
IMG_20170420_105300.jpg
IMG_20170420_105311.jpg

The white stuff is some Gorilla glue that squeezed out from under the rubber runner.

It looks a little beat already. This is actually the second attempt. The first one was way too big. This one is 5 1/2" tall. I took the first one apart, cut everything down, and put it back together.

I am planning to install laser jammers on front and back. Does anyone know in which part of the front grill would fit them the most, not to get too much noticed.
I carry a lot of stuff for the dogs, and they're with me part of every day. I got tired of having stuff floating around, or having an organizer tied to one of the tie downs at the back, so I built a cargo box. It's not the greatest craftsmanship, because I am not good at cutting long, straight lines. Sometimes short straight lines either. :(

I finished it yesterday. I built it out of 3/4" and 1/2" MDF, painted it black, and covered the top with black rubber runner from Lowe's. The same thing lines the drawers.

It's 44" x 40". I didn't want 44" long drawers, so I made them 24", and the 20" at the back has a hinged door, that will eventually have a lock. I fold the seat forward to access it. It's covered with my existing cargo/pet liner. View attachment 96676 View attachment 96677

The white stuff is some Gorilla glue that squeezed out from under the rubber runner.

It looks a little beat already. This is actually the second attempt. The first one was way too big. This one is 5 1/2" tall. I took the first one apart, cut everything down, and put it back together.

Lucky you and your dogs, they must be really happy having their own glove compartment space.

Wife and kids kept complaining that the passenger side "40" second row seat was hard to fold up. After reading as much as I could on a Flex forum (doesnt seem to be many issues on the Explorers) I decided to spray all the "coil" mechanisms on both "40" and "60" second row seats with white lithium grease. After closing the seats fairly hard numerous times I have success. My 12 year old can now fold the seats up all by herself whereas I could hardly do it before.

Spent yesterday morning installing H & R spring, then the afternoon in the alignment shop.

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

......... It's covered with my existing cargo/pet liner. ..........
Looks like the 2nd row seats also have a cover.

Peter

Makes a difference, huh? Going to change he wheels?

I do plan on changing the wheels when I find the some I really really really like, then use the stockers as "winter wheels". One question for you; when you lowered yours did you adjust the headlights? I drove mine last night for a few minutes and noticed the lights seen just a bit high since the back end is lowered more than the front.

Not at all. The guys who installed my springs did a great job on them because the front has the exact same gap as the rear. 2" to be precise.

FRONT
IMG_1531.JPG

REAR
IMG_1532.JPG
I do plan on changing the wheels when I find the some I really really really like, then use the stockers as "winter wheels". One question for you; when you lowered yours did you adjust the headlights? I drove mine last night for a few minutes and noticed the lights seen just a bit high since the back end is lowered more than the front.

Not at all. The guys who installed my springs did a great job on them because the front has the exact same gap as the rear. 2" to be precise.

FRONT
View attachment 96690

REAR
View attachment 96691

I understand that the front and rear has the same gap, but with the stock springs the front to rear gap was not the same. The rear end sat higher than the front end (when stock), I'm just very **** (or maybe a a$$whole) when it comes to my cars. The H & R springs lower the rear end more than the front to achieve the "level" look.

I understand that the front and rear has the same gap, but with the stock springs the front to rear gap was not the same. The rear end sat higher than the front end (when stock), I'm just very **** (or maybe a a$$whole) when it comes to my cars. The H & R springs lower the rear end more than the front to achieve the "level" look.

I spoke to my mechanic. He told me that he made some small modifications to my car so that the rear and front sit more evenly. Sorry I can't explain more but my auto skills are limited to filling up the tank and windshield washer fluid.

DMG632 is right. The stock ride height has a bigger fender gap at the rear (about 1" more than the front). The H&R springs lower the rear by a larger amount than the front to make the gaps even, which would change the angle of the headlights.

I'm guessing the reason the rear is normally higher is to compensate for extra passengers and/or cargo. With an even/level situation adding passengers and/or cargo would lower the back end and thus raise the level of the headlights.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like the 2nd row seats also have a cover.

Peter

Yup. That's where they typically ride. The other is partly an "if I need them to be back there" and partly just carpet protection from cargo.

Back