2016 with AC issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 with AC issues

bcampbe7

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Purchased our 2016 on 3/16. At that time, the vehicle had 43k miles. It now has just over 45k. Hasn't been warm enough to run the AC much till lately. Wife came home a couple days ago and informed me that the AC didn't feel all that cold. Sure enough, vent temps weren't cold at all. Checked R134 pressure and low side was down around 20psi. Added R134 to get it to around 35psi (80* outside temp). Now the vent air temp is much cooler (46*F), but I am concerned that the R134 was that low to begin with. I am also concerned that 46*F vent temp is too high with an 80* outside temp.

Fast forward to today and the low side pressure was low again and vent temps weren't cold. Losing R134 from somewhere, but not sure where yet. Will try dye and see if I can locate the leak.

I know this is a newer vehicle, but are there known issues with the AC system? I am not finding much in my Google searching, but (admittedly) my Google-foo skills aren't the best.

I did see what appeared to be some sort of leak on a tube towards the front of the engine bay on the passenger side. Not sure if it is AC related tubing or not though. This tube had an oily residue in the circled area.

FullSizeRender_zpss1vujhvk.jpg

FullSizeRender%202_zpsytmxdlxr.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Being that you are a Forum member already, the best place to start your searches would be here, in the Forum since it is Explorer specific. The 'Search' feature is in the upper right. I did a couple quick searches and didn't come up with anything to indicate that this, losing pressure, is really an issue. As for the pictures you posted, I'm not going to be much help. I think if it was A/C related it may get cool to the touch when the A/C is on. Just a guess though. Perhaps another member may have more knowledge on that that. Good luck.

Peter

That line is an A/C line. Since these vehicles use electronic power steering there should be no confusion now.

If it's oilly then its a good chance that's a leak spot. But I would double check with die or a sniffer.

If that turns out to be it just get another line and replace it making sure you lubricate the orings on each side with PAG oil.

Vacuuum out the system and then refill.

Part looks like item 9 ($30) on tasca parts:
http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part.../hvac-cat/condenser-compressor-and-lines-scat

So I wanted to update this thread...

I received the identified hose from Tasca and performed the replacement. Very straight forward job, once the R134 is evacuated. The hose in question is easily accessible and I had it swapped in less than 15 minutes. Pulled a vacuum and the system held for an hour without issue. Recharged with proper amount of R134 and so far, so good. Haven't had a really hot day yet, so we'll see how the AC performs when it gets hot, but with temps in the 80's, the AC has no trouble keeping the cabin temp at 69-70 (where we leave it most of the time). Vent temps are noticeably cooler!

Back