2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 59 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the Forum Roy.:wave:
I know that initially one of the 'fixes' involved having a 're-flash' done instead of replacing the steering rack but that did not prove to be successful. I don't know if a re-flash was ever done/required after the rack was replaced.

Peter
Thanks Peter. It seems reasonable that I would have to tell the computer there is a new steering box, but they also said that the local shop probably couldn't do it and that I would have to take it to Ford...I'm about done with the local dealership here so I want to make sure I have to do this before I contact them again. They have been less than helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter. It seems reasonable that I would have to tell the computer there is a new steering box, but they also said that the local shop probably couldn't do it and that I would have to take it to Ford...I'm about done with the local dealership here so I want to make sure I have to do this before I contact them again. They have been less than helpful.
If you go to the following post and click on the link in it you will see that on page 5 of the document there is no mention of doing any re-flash in the section that deals with replacing the steering rack (2.3 hrs). http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...er-steering-issue.320445/page-40#post-3436987

Peter

The module does need to be programmed when replaced. Here is a copy of my OASIS report showing the notes when mine was done the 2nd time. This needs to be done in IDS do if your independent doesn't pay for IDS, they can't do it.

Also, you will need a new alignment if they didn't do one.

Screenshot_20170322-120453_zpskl5abd2n.png

The module does need to be programmed when replaced. Here is a copy of my OASIS report showing the notes when mine was done the 2nd time. This needs to be done in IDS do if your independent doesn't pay for IDS, they can't do it.

Also, you will need a new alignment if they didn't do one.

Just spoke with Ford service manager and he told me that you have to re-calibrate the rack after installation. The shop says that they are getting a no communication error with the EPAS so they can't even start the calibration and the power steering isn't turning on. Did yours need to be reprogrammed before it would communicate with the computer?

Just spoke with Ford service manager and he told me that you have to re-calibrate the rack after installation. The shop says that they are getting a no communication error with the EPAS so they can't even start the calibration and the power steering isn't turning on. Did yours need to be reprogrammed before it would communicate with the computer?

No idea, mine was under warranty both times so they did everything.

Good day all, I have a 2014 Explorer Sport with roughly 100,000 miles. My front end started to squeak when I would turn the steering wheel right or left about 5,000 miles ago. One morning, after starting the car I could not move the steering wheel right or left, it eventually freed its self and the squueaking noise has turned into a grinding sound. Now when I enter a rotary (round about) I can take my hands off the wheel and the car continues to stay in the turn. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have it going into my local mechanic tomorrow for a new steering rack replacement, I just feel a failure of this sort should not be happening at 100,000 mile. In fact I have never had to replaced a steering rack in any of my Fords.

I have it going into my local mechanic tomorrow for a new steering rack replacement, I just feel a failure of this sort should not be happening at 100,000 mile. In fact I have never had to replaced a steering rack in any of my Fords.
You are one of the lucky ones. There are others that had their steering rack replaced long before they got to your mileage. Just check out some of the posts. Also check out post 1164 above for additional info such as the module reprogramming requirement.

Peter

Explorer left me stranded today....

noticed yesterday the steering was acting funny. this am i woke up to go to work and i could not turn the steering wheel at all. there was a warning about the steering and that it was turned off by the car.. tow truck is on the way...

any history of these issues with our 2014 explorer sports??

thanks everyone.

noticed yesterday the steering was acting funny. this am i woke up to go to work and i could not turn the steering wheel at all. there was a warning about the steering and that it was turned off by the car.. tow truck is on the way...

thanks everyone.

Yep, use the search function. I believe there is a TSB on this.

thanks everyone.
Your thread has been moved to this existing one found using the Forum's 'Search' function. There's not much here that hasn't been discussed. Please report back with what the dealer did to repair. Thanks.

Peter

2014 was not included in the recall but that would be your EPAS failing and needing replacement. Covered under 3yr/36k.

Your thread has been moved to this existing one found using the Forum's 'Search' function. There's not much here that hasn't been discussed. Please report back with what the dealer did to repair. Thanks.

Peter
search function does not work well

2014 was not included in the recall but that would be your EPAS failing and needing replacement. Covered under 3yr/36k.
i have a 6 year 125k mile i should be good then right?!

Yesterday, I turned the steering left to the stop, to do a u-turn. When I touched the gas, it first felt like it couldn't move forward, and then it felt like the steering wouldn't turn. It took a minute to get the wheels to turn again. That's the first time I've had any steering issue, and I'm wondering if it's this problem, or something else because it was turned to the stop.

My 2015 Ford Explorer just started today with a fault codes or displayed them on display. 27k miles

Steering assist fault code and the terrain fault code both displayed while I was driving down the road which caused a definite issue. Glad when it acted up I was about 3 blocks from my house and the curve had a gravel driveway straight ahead of the curve which my car went directly into. Was able to get it home, but now the steering is really locked up and codes just keep coming up.

Anyone else had this issue and what is the repair or service that needs to be done?

My 2015 Ford Explorer just started today with a fault codes or displayed them on display. 27k miles

Steering assist fault code and the terrain fault code both displayed while I was driving down the road which caused a definite issue. Glad when it acted up I was about 3 blocks from my house and the curve had a gravel driveway straight ahead of the curve which my car went directly into. Was able to get it home, but now the steering is really locked up and codes just keep coming up.

Anyone else had this issue and what is the repair or service that needs to be done?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Looks like your post was moved here. As you can see this issue is not unique and has been around for a while. Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lane Keeping System Malfunction loss of steering ran off road

Hey, just had this happen and curious if anyone has any info about it. Ford said they haven't heard of any issues and the local dealer was clueless as well. Have never had a problem with the car and out of nowhere a warning sign flashed on the dash that said "Steering Fault Service Now" with no symptoms. Then, a minute later the steering locked up and ran us off the road. No damage, but scary cause it could have been bad. When the steering locked up, a message came up that said "Lane Keeping Sys. Malfunction Service Required". Any of you have any info? Thanks

Back