Bad gas ... problem is back update | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad gas ... problem is back update

sickwilly

Reaction score
City, State
Middle Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Exp Sport Trac
After successfully burning a half a tank of gas I filled up yesterday with 100% gasoline. Paid a premium for it, assuming by problem the other day was bad gas.

Drove and got some mexican food, no issues.

Today on the way to work the ST started stalling again. No codes registered. Limped home.

Here is the new data to consider.

1. When I filled up the pump did not stop until it show some gas out of the filler tube onto the side of the ST.
2. Like last time, after filling up and the ST cooling down, it stalled the next time I went to drive it.

I guess I need to read and learn about the gas tanks.

Help, I am getting new-used-car-itis pretty bad. There is a decently priced FJ around the corner from my house. I would like a couple year old F-150 but I am paying for college and expect to for the next 7 years!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So when I bought the 2003 I swapped out many parts from my 2005 that was totaled. I had to get a new gas cap because of emissions for the 2005. The gas cap for the 2003 looked pretty old and crappy.

As part of investigating this issue I now see that Rock Auto has different part numbers for the 2003 and 2005 sport trac. Could this just be a gas cap issue?

So when I bought the 2003 I swapped out many parts from my 2005 that was totaled. I had to get a new gas cap because of emissions for the 2005. The gas cap for the 2003 looked pretty old and crappy.

As part of investigating this issue I now see that Rock Auto has different part numbers for the 2003 and 2005 sport trac. Could this just be a gas cap issue?

No.

Hate to jinx myself, but after burning off about a half gallon (easy to do in a ST) and the truck is running like a top.

I did also get the correct gas cap and ditch my old Flex Fuel gas cap from my totaled 05.

Put 20 gallons in and rock and rolled. Stopped at 20 gallons because of the BP rewards program. I would have preferred to let the tank stop it and see if my prob is an over fill. However, I was not willing to pass up $.45 cents off per gallon for 20 gallons just to find out :).

Best evidence so far is a topping off or gas cap problem causing too much vacuum and causing my stall.

Just to follow up before exiting the forum, no additional problems since changing the gas cap. I have towed my boat, run around, commuted, etc, and not problems.

I did decide to upgrade to a newer truck for other reasons, but not this problem.

Good to hear. So, the gas cap was the problem?

Back