Potential new owner......help me decide. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Potential new owner......help me decide.

s7cky

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Mustang
Hi, I am currently deciding on whether to buy my first Ford Explorer. A long time American car enthusiast ( I live in the UK ), I have owned a number of American cars over the years. In fact my first was a 1956 Ford Fairlane. I currently own a 2.3 ecoboost Mustang and a 2001 Corvette C5. I have owned the Corvette for nearly 12 years, it is totally unmarked and very carefully cared for. The Mustang is a 2015 in yellow. Both are obviously left hand drive...although it is possible to get the Mustang in right hand drive now in the UK.....but most enthusiasts such as myself much prefer left hand drive.

The Ford Explorer is not available in the UK, so the only ones available are ones that have been imported, and even then only in very small numbers. I have the chance to buy a brand new 2017 ( I would imagine 2016 built ) XLT 3.6 FWD. I have viewed the car once and it looks lovely but am still a little undecided. Coincidentally I am currently in the States on holiday and managed to rent an Explorer so am using our holiday as a means to give the Explorer an extended test drive.

However, after reading on the forum the number of issues the Explorer has had with the throttle body, I am concerned as to whether I should buy or not. The Explorer will have a 12 month warranty, but will not be covered by a Ford warranty as it is not being sold by Ford direct.

I have been in a similar position before. I really wanted a Dodge Challenger but read about the rust issues that model has. Infact, after reading about those issues decided against the Challenger for that reason. I understand that for the most you only hear about faults on forums (rarely the good points), but am obviously still very concerned. What I need to find out is what your opinions are of the percentage of Explorers that have had this ETB fault.

All feedback appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's going to be a hit or miss.
There are drivers such as myself (knock on wood) that hasn't experienced and major issues; but a hell of a lot of minor though.
Try not to look at the negatives too much and buy what you like and will enjoy.

Ford sells a quarter of a million Explorers just about every year. The problems you hear about are but a microcosm of that number. I would say that your chances of having any major issues are very low. By the way, nothing is sold by Ford directly. Are you talking about a Ford dealer or, is this a used Ex?

Ford sells a quarter of a million Explorers just about every year. The problems you hear about are but a microcosm of that number. I would say that your chances of having any major issues are very low. By the way, nothing is sold by Ford directly. Are you talking about a Ford dealer or, is this a used Ex?

He said it is a used vehicle and from the other wording, I am guessing that it is being bought from a non-Ford dealership. As for the rest of your statement, very true, people generally join forums to complain about issues.

Hi, it is actually a brand new Explorer. But being sold by a 'third party', technically it may be classed as second hand. It has around 40 miles on the clock.

Well the original post said used and has been edited, but any rate my prior post stands.

Hi, the original post said brand new 2017 but likely 2016 build.
If you get a chance to see the Window Sticker, the build date will be on it.

Peter

The Explorer will have a 12 month warranty, but will not be covered by a Ford warranty as it is not being sold by Ford direct.

This part, I have a problem with. Where did you get the idea this Ex wouldn't be backed by the manufacturer's warranty? From the seller? That's a big red flag to me. It should still have the 3 year 36 mo. and 5 year drive train and emissions on it if it is a '17 model. This 'third party' seller bears some investigation and so does the Ex. Have you had a 'carfax' done on the Ex? Why don't you have the seller provide you with one. I would be looking for evidence of this being a 'flood vehicle' as well. Something just doesn't smell right here.

As a person who has an Explorer and took it to the dealer over 10 times for various issues, and this was from a 2011 Explorer. Despite that fact, I would buy another Explorer. You just can't beat the great combination of the solid good looks, great technology, and decent luxury all in one package. There are issues like any other car but I would definitely get the Explorer. Even better, if you had time to wait, go for a redesigned Explorer in 2020.

This part, I have a problem with. Where did you get the idea this Ex wouldn't be backed by the manufacturer's warranty? From the seller? That's a big red flag to me. It should still have the 3 year 36 mo. and 5 year drive train and emissions on it if it is a '17 model. This 'third party' seller bears some investigation and so does the Ex. Have you had a 'carfax' done on the Ex? Why don't you have the seller provide you with one. I would be looking for evidence of this being a 'flood vehicle' as well. Something just doesn't smell right here.

I think it's because he's buying it from the UK and the same protections don't apply.

As a person who has an Explorer and took it to the dealer over 10 times for various issues, and this was from a 2011 Explorer. Despite that fact, I would buy another Explorer. You just can't beat the great combination of the solid good looks, great technology, and decent luxury all in one package. There are issues like any other car but I would definitely get the Explorer. Even better, if you had time to wait, go for a redesigned Explorer in 2020.

I think it's because he's buying it from the UK and the same protections don't apply.

Sounds like a crap shoot to me. He's looking for advice on this purchase and if what you say is the case, I would find an alternative if one is available because this deal stinks, IMO, of course.

Yeah, is there no comparable vehicles to an Explorer in the UK??? One that has a full warranty?

Hi, thanks for your input. Back to the UK tonight. Think I will wait a while before deciding what to do. Thanks again.

Having lived in England, your really going to have a hard time at the pump with an Explorer -- eats too much gas, and UK gas is so expensive! Plus isn't there some sort of gas tax based on the economy of your vehicle? Apparently the throttle body issues only affected the non Eco-boost engines. I'd be concerned about any breakdowns and getting parts there.

I do get the uniqueness of it all, but I would imagine from a UK perspective it would be considered a "ghetto Land Rover". Audi Q7 is great and ironically, probably better bang for the buck there, and with warranty.

Back