• Register Today It's free!

trailer Wiring

crispins

Reaction score
City, State
Pigeon Forge, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport trac
I am picking up a new (to me) 14 foot jet boat in the morning.

What is the deal with wiring it up for a 7 pin plug?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The deal is it is harder than wiring it for a 4 flat, and a 7 pin is totally overkill for a 14 foot john boat. Go to etrailer and put your vehicle in. The wiring kits usually have instructions.

The deal is it is harder than wiring it for a 4 flat, and a 7 pin is totally overkill for a 14 foot john boat. Go to etrailer and put your vehicle in. The wiring kits usually have instructions.

I meant 4 pin.

Also I thought I saw that the Sport Trac was Pre-wired for the harness, is this correct or not?

My 03 and 05 were. I would assume the 01 is too. The 4 flat sits under and just to the drivers side of where you would bolt on the hitch ball. Do you see any sings of it down there. Maybe the bracket got bent or broke and someone tucked the wiring up over something on the bumper.

If your wiring is gone, you just need a basic 4 flat kit. You can get one in the trailer section in any auto parts store, academy sports, or your local tractor supply. It will come with instructions, or you can get a lot from the internet. It is not hard.

Your ST will tow a 14 ft john with ease from the bumper. The only issue you could run into is having too much angle on the trailer which can cause it to sway at high speeds. If you find putting the boat on the bumper causes it to be too high in the front, you may look for a under bumper hitch -- which might be nice to add because soon your boating 2ft-itis will mean there are larger and larger boats behind your ST. Ask me how I know :)

The 2001 Sport Trac has the 4 pin connector under the bumper.

I used this setup with an additional wire for the back up lights to trigger the reverse solenoid brake lockout on my trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/57184-4-Way-...TF8&qid=1493387244&sr=8-3&keywords=curt+7+pin

https://www.amazon.com/58000-Mount-...TF8&qid=1493387244&sr=8-4&keywords=curt+7+pin
I found the connector!! I wish I had known it was there before pulling the boat home 3 hours in the downpouring rain.

Also it is NOT a John boat, it is a Jet boat, much more fun IMO!

It weighs about 1,600 lbs wet with trailer.

It towed no problem.

Sadly I am getting rid of my Sport Trac end of this year (along with everything else that I own) so I really do not want to put any money into the truck than I need to so using the bumper hitch will have to do.

Pic of the boat.

a7cc9baffbbc464fb2c9dc222b4e9234.jpg

Looks fun. Enjoy.

Back