8.8 IRS LS carrier or side gears

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
Im looking for a complete LS IRS rear end with 4.10 gears or just the carrier from a IRS LS or even just the side gears from a LS IRS carrier. .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bumpy

Can the Cobra rear carrier work in an Explorer? Those might be easier to find for sale, just a thought.

I almost bought a partial Cobra IRS setup, missing the carrier and axles. I asked about pricing of those parts, and for $300 I'd like to get the IRS, but I don't have the space or time right now.

Can the Cobra rear carrier work in an Explorer? Those might be easier to find for sale, just a thought.

I almost bought a partial Cobra IRS setup, missing the carrier and axles. I asked about pricing of those parts, and for $300 I'd like to get the IRS, but I don't have the space or time right now.
Pretty sure they are 28 spline..i ordered the side gears from rock auto for $130 but dont know if they are the correct gears and would like to find them cheaper

I know the 03/04 Cobra is 31 spline, I've read of that many times. I would think the others are too. The late 80's Turbo Coupe(not first two years of), Super Coupe and XR7 were 31 splined, those hipo editions got a little extra in features. You'll find a diff soon, it'll be about whether it's still in a truck to take out etc.

I have a complete 8.8 4.10 with limited slip traction loc for $250.

I have a complete 8.8 4.10 with limited slip traction loc for $250.
Irs?

I just bought 4.10 gears for $80 and paid $250 for the irs side gears and a timkin master rebuild from rock auto..also got carbon fiber clutches from summit for $112..and i paid $100 for a IRS case,i have a 8.8 solid LS carrier just didnt have IRS side gears for it..so im $542 into this rear already..not counting seals and fluid!!!

I have opened the side gears from rock auto yet to make sure they are IRS side gears though. .

We swap solid axle differentials and IRS differentials all of the time with no problems.

We swap solid axle differentials and IRS differentials all of the time with no problems.
Dont think your understanding what the problem is..im using a solid carrier and side gears in a IRS housing. .the solid carrir and side gears dont have provisions for the IRS axles to lock in..the irs axles have a ""spring clip retainer"" not a c-clip type like solid axles do..there for you need the IRS side gears from a IRS LS..

Only difference in a solid ls carrier and a IRS ls carrier is the side gears..i didnt have the IRS side gears or a irs carrier

We have swapped these on 03 Cobras with high horsepower and never had a problem.

We have swapped these on 03 Cobras with high horsepower and never had a problem.
So you have used solid axle side spider gears/carrier in a irs case with irs axles and they have locked in?? If so how did they lock in or did you just leave them floating around??

Yes, they fit fine. Never had a problem and we install these in cars with over 400 horsepower.

Yes, they fit fine. Never had a problem and we install these in cars with over 400 horsepower.
Hmm let me go take a picture of solid spider gears and the irs spider gears..

We couldnt get the irs axles to lock into the solid spider gears,they just pulled in and out

There should be a spring clip on the end of the IRS axles.

There should be a spring clip on the end of the IRS axles.
Yes but the solid spider gears dont have the extra little groove where they lock..they are made for a c-clip to fit there

The cclip is at the end of solid axles where the spring clip on irs is about 2+ inches from end of axles

There is a spring clip on the irs axles but the cutout depth on the side gears inside the carrier slightly differ between IRS and solid axle. The irs axle would slide into the solid carrier but it would probably wiggle and leak

You can't use the IRS side gears for a solid axle diff, there isn't any space for the c-clips. But I had read of putting normal diff's in an IRS, since the axle cannot come out while assembled etc. But I'd wonder if the IRS axle would hang(the circlip hang) on the deeper/sharp groove of the normal side gears.

You will have both of them in hand soon, post a picture of them please?

You can't use the IRS side gears for a solid axle diff, there isn't any space for the c-clips. But I had read of putting normal diff's in an IRS, since the axle cannot come out while assembled etc. But I'd wonder if the IRS axle would hang(the circlip hang) on the deeper/sharp groove of the normal side gears.

You will have both of them in hand soon, post a picture of them please?
Yes ill take pictures tomorrow if rock auto shipped right ones

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool.

I hope the parts you get do the trick, and the 4.10's will get it moving quicker.

Back