• Register Today It's free!

Which is the best year

wellcraft

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I have a 1999 ford explorer with the 4.0 that we bought brand new with only 130k miles in it but its showing it's age and the transmission will need to be rebuilt at some point as it mixed coolant with transmission oil, I took care of that but having issues with the OD very frequently, im just using it around town and don't hit the hwy to often so k don't have to worry about the OD light blinking. I also started hearing a noise wich I believe it should be the timing belt and did some reseach and it looks like its very hard for a diy'r to do, i read that its even haRd for some ford mechance to do it right. I dont want to get rid of it as we have owned since new and had plans to give it to my son when he turn 15, he is just 10, lol but I think I'll have to get rid of it sometime.

Anyways, I have a f350 dually with the 6.0 that we use to tow a fifth wheel and a loaded optima for my wife. We don't really need another car but I would like to keep a reliable suv to use when we go on vacation and bmx racing events and other things as I don't really like to go in the truck and the optima it's small when we go on vacation, the explorer was perfect. We also had a e150 conversion van that I loved but sold it and I regret it now.

So my question is as I don't want to put money in the 99 explorer, what would be the best year for the 5th generation explorer?

I just started toying with this idea and really like the looks of the newer explorer, would consider the 2011 as I don't want to spend a lot of money in this and don't really need a big engine, I don't need leather but I do like options.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody likes the new style, lol?

Looks are subjective.
If everything else meets your need, such as the 2016 Sport did for me; you should get one.

I like the look of the 2016+ because it has more of a Land Rover look. But the 2017 has the sync 3 which is a massive upgrade for the usability/responsiveness of the infotainment/navigation. The upcoming 2018 has a new suite of tech/safety packages, and subtle aesthetic changes.

If you want some info to help you make your decision I'll tell you this. I think the current gen Explorers are the best looking SUV in its respective market segment. That's probably the main reason we went with the Explorer. Coming from a 1999 Pathfinder, the new Explorer handles ridiculously flat for a truck that big. The powertrain is reliable with plenty of power(the sport is an animal) and won't leave you stranded, but to be honest, build quality/quality control of the minor things is kinda meh.. In my experience, rattles will sometimes appear and disappear randomly after a couple days/weeks/. There are also panel gaps everywhere. In general, it just feels like the way everything was put together isn't as "tight" as other vehicles, being that we have a Nissan, Honda, and Benz. It's not really a deal breaker and you may not even care, but it's just something worth noting.

Also, ground clearance isn't very good for an SUV. It's more than a sedan, but compared to the older models it's pretty abysmal. It will never be a climber, but they can be decent offroad given the ground clearance. If you do take it offroad, the Traxda lift kit would be a good thing to look into. Also, you can cut the little plastic airdamn in the front since it serves no purpose.

In terms of what year to get, I honestly wouldn't really want a 2011, being that it is a new model and changes are made each year to fix problems which the 2011 debuted with (just like any model year), but hey, your choice. 2012/13 would make feel safe :)

Anyway, this was just some info I thought I'd share, hope I could give an unbiased viewpoint.

Clearly, 2017 is the best year.

;)

Truth be told, I bought a 2017 and thus my first ever new car, because I wouldn't settle with any other year. Every other car I've purchased in my life has generally been 2 years or more old when I bought it used, so that's special.

But but but what if I bought a 2016 in 2017? I'm confused :dunno:

Thanks guys, I would probably buy a new one if didn't have a brand new sedan for my wife, I have a f350 dually truck and an air-cooled bug that I used occasionally. We can't afford a new one, that's why the question. I like the new style more like the rest of the generations, actually I don't like any explorer after 2001 until 2011.
We would like one for long trips, vacations and to go to our sons BMX racing events and our old explorer has been great for that.
I read somewhere that the 2011 had some issues and that's what I would like to avoid. We might consider selling her car if we find a great deal in a 2016.

I got my 2016 Limited 4x4 as a CPO with 42K miles. They then upgraded me to a 7 year 100K b2b warranty in negotiations. I paid $29.5K before sales tax. I think that was a good deal, but not a great deal. I have been looking and most like mine are in the 31K-33K range with those miles.

The best year would be the one where the paint doesn't fall off the hood. I would recommend you do not buy any Ford Explorer.

IMG_1975.JPG

The best year would be the one where the paint doesn't fall off the hood. I would recommend you do not buy any Ford Explorer.

View attachment 96921

LOL, good Friday laugh.
A rusted out hood would be the least of my worries.

I recommend you buy a Chevy Traverse, join a Chevy forum. Is your crying about your hood in this thread going to magically make it painted as good as new? Please help the OP, if you cant then dont respond.

View attachment 96921

So, you're saying buy a 2014 Ingot Silver Sport?

LOL, good Friday laugh.
A rusted out hood would be the least of my worries.

Some more Friday humor. You should be very worried if your 2011+ Explorer hood starts to rust because the hood should be made of aluminum and shouldn’t rust. :)

I had a Chevy once and took it to the car wash for the first time. I hit the hood with the spray and watched all the paint peel right off of it.

You just never know what is going to happen. All it takes on a hood is a little bit of grease off of someones hand for the paint not to adhere.

I would say, if you're going to go used, 2013-15. I have learned, the hard way, to avoid the first year of a new body style, and the second year is generally only moderately better.

I got my 2013 in January, with 55k on it, for $22k. I bought a Ford ESP, that covers me until 2022 or 131k miles. It's in the shop now for two known issues.

I had a 2011 Optima. My Explorer drives better, rides better, handles better, and going through curves on on/off ramps, it doesn't have as much body roll as the Optima. I am more comfortable, and it's more stable, than the Optima ever was.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Long story short, Dealer gave us a lease with 0 down and next payment at 36months (which would of been the total of all month's.... Ya he filled out the paper work wrong and I was so burnt out dealing with him I said pick up the car or honor the contract. It would of been great to have the car and just have one lump sum at end.... :). He picked up the car......

I started looking, and I had a thought about getting used. I kinda like the look of the 14 over the new, I was wondering if all the years are the same or do some years seem to shine/ stand out as better? I figure you guys would know way more about explorers then I....

I have never owned one before, I have owned and do own fords just never a Explorer.... I am speaking of the Sport tho. Then again that is all I have ever driven, so I am not sure if that is any better then a limited with same motor.....

Thanks

J.

Back