20" Tires owners what yours like. Looking for viable AWD choices | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

20" Tires owners what yours like. Looking for viable AWD choices

tripplec

Reaction score
City, State
Bowmanville, ON Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer LTD AWD
Given we have 20" Rims on this and the OEM size is 255R50/20 which sets the baseline for viable choices.

We're not looking for a winter tire but a good traction tire in foul weather is key in a tire IMO, not millage since they do nothing for you if you wrecked the vehicle because they couldn't grip.

In some searching manufacturers don't scale there sizes linearly into the 20" area. Many are skipped and some types don't even venture into it. I had looked at General Altimax RT43 simply because I sourced them for another family 4x4 and they are fabulous tire, vary reasonable in price performed very well as per ratings in the winter as well. Thread is excellent. But alas they don't venture into a solution for 20" class in fact General only has one tire in 255/55R20 of HTS60.

So If I may. Who is using what on their 20" wheels for highway All-Season Tire applications. I am not sure all 20" will be load rated for this beast but starting somewhere. The factory plate should reflect something on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm running 20" Yokohama Geolandar G055 tires on both my 2010 Sport Trac and my wife's 2011 Explorer. I'm very pleased with them so far. Good traction in all weather conditions, quiet ride, and they're rated for around 60K miles. I put the set on my Sport Trac last summer, and was so pleased with them that I put another set on the Explorer last month when it needed tires.

Thanks, Thread depth in a compatible size is 11/32" fairly shallow characteristic. Rating is at 50psi so it much be a LT tire as well

I am gathering alot of you aren't equipped with 20" Rim option as comes with the Limited.

Many good tires don't offer a viable size or 20" rim range at all. I was hoping to shorten the list.
From my own searches. These are are looking good. Although 55 series would be better for more rubber.
NEXEN ROADIAN HP 15467NXK
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Nexen/Roadian+HP/15467NXK?vehicleid=91716

I'm running the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza tires on mine, I absolutely love them. We can have bad weather here in NJ, they have been great.

A pricer tire here, at ~ $250 but 1010tires doesn't have feedback or testing ratings on it. May look around later for the rating but we're not quite ready to buy. Going to test some aftermarket rims we got to confirm fit is right then see if the 275R55/20 will fit.

From what I am used to seeing when a vehicle has 20" wheels is that they are usually the 'summer' set...and you would have a dedicated 'winter' set that is not only smaller in diameter, but width as well.

If you want to run the 20s all year, then maybe the Michelin Defender LTX M/S?...that's what I have on my wife's Explorer in 17"...great tire.

The General Grabber HTS60 is another great tire we had on her previous Explorer, great all around tire like the Michelin.

The truck has 20's all year, OEM with Blizzaks in winter and picked up a set of used 20's for summer. 2 of the tires were destroyed by the previous owner who ran them until seasons changed. The steel was poking out of one of them. At $230 a tire for replacements though it wasn't worth getting 2. So looking for a new set of 4 for summer use with the odd fluke flurries in late spring early fall.

Back