2016 / 2017 bug deflector / hood protectors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 / 2017 bug deflector / hood protectors

Summers22

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Limited 4x4 3.5
Please post pics of your 2016 or 2017 hood protectors (not 11-14). The aftermarket styles for sale have no pictures available installed. OEM hood guard pics are fine, but at least those pictures can be found online. Please let us also know the brand and model number. Admin, please do not combine this thread with others. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think that the hood has changed from the 2011 models. The OEM part number from 2011 - 2015 was VBB5Z-16C900-C ($79.00). In 2016 it changed to GB5Z-16C900-A ($92.86). The deflectors look the same but perhaps the mounting has change with the Explorer 'refresh'.:dunno:

Peter

Maybe the hood hasn't changed, but the grille, headlights and entire bumper have. Its hard to know what exactly an aftermarket hood deflector will look like since the entire front end is different.

Here is the AutoVentshade Aeroskin hood deflector model # 322120 :

2061-8b8647c03165f6332165ff09a9c4db2c-big.jpg

OEM hood deflector:

s-l1000.jpg

Sorry - no pics but I did purchase one from Weathertech but did not install it. It sticks right to the hood/paint and I'm not sure I want to do that. I may send it back and order a different one based on the options posted in this thread.

Can you just lay it on there while someone holds it? That is the one I was leaning toward getting. Thanks!

Sorry - no pics but I did purchase one from Weathertech but did not install it. It sticks right to the hood/paint and I'm not sure I want to do that. I may send it back and order a different one based on the options posted in this thread.

I'll see if I can get a pic for ya. It will still have the plastic protective film on it.

Here ya go - not great but you can get an idea.
Bug 1.jpg
Bug 2.jpg

Thanks! So it would be held on by double sided 3M tape only? There is no gap at all between the hood and deflector?

Thanks! So it would be held on by double sided 3M tape only? There is no gap at all between the hood and deflector?

Yeah it uses the 3M tape. The only gap is the thickness of the tape - roughly 1/8" to 3/16". Like I said I'll be sending it back because I don't want to stick it to the paint. If you like the Weathertech I'll make you a good deal on it.

Send me a message, I'm interested, thanks

Bought the Weathertech and will post pics when its installed. Thanks 1stXLT !!!!!

Well the WeatherTech arrived damaged....so I ordered the AVS Aeroskin which appears to be identical to the WeatherTech. It attaches using only double sided tape. I will get some pics up next week.

Here is the AVS Aeroskin on my 2016 white platinum :
20170507_101347_zpstuqaxlfw.jpg

20170507_101336_zpsgwbt3c0w.jpg

20170507_101357_zpsjgfrpeys.jpg

Back