Dual climate control problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual climate control problem

I'm having a similar issue as many in this post on my 2013 XSport. Driver side blows hot, passenger cold (when set to heat). Also, the passenger side does not defrost very well.

Any suggestions on which blend door to check/change first based on my symptoms?

Thanks!
I just happened to fix mine last night. I used this tutorial to do mine. If you happen to have a 1/4" electric ratchet I think you could save a lot of hassle in getting the rear screw in and out. I managed to do it by flipping between a few ratchets and sockets . I also pulled that main wire over the corner of the cabin filter bin because it gave me better visibility.

Plugging the wiring into the new actuator was the hardest part for me but start to finish was about 45 mins.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just happened to fix mine last night. I used this tutorial to do mine. If you happen to have a 1/4" electric ratchet I think you could save a lot of hassle in getting the rear screw in and out. I managed to do it by flipping between a few ratchets and sockets . I also pulled that main wire over the corner of the cabin filter bin because it gave me better visibility.

Plugging the wiring into the new actuator was the hardest part for me but start to finish was about 45 mins.

Thanks, Mike. Did you find it necessary to remove all the trim he referenced in the video, or is it possible to get to the actuator without removing all the extra trim?

Unfortunately, I don't have an electric driver, but I have a good assortment of 1/4" extensions, universal joints, etc. that should get me by (probably with a lot more swearing). :)

Thanks, Mike. Did you find it necessary to remove all the trim he referenced in the video, or is it possible to get to the actuator without removing all the extra trim?

Unfortunately, I don't have an electric driver, but I have a good assortment of 1/4" extensions, universal joints, etc. that should get me by (probably with a lot more swearing). :)

Oh I had plenty of that!

IMO you may be able to reach it by only removing the glove box but it's worth the extra 5 mins to pull the additional trim out. I was able to balance my iPhone on top of the big steal bar and use the flashlight to see pretty well with the extra trim removed.

Oh I had plenty of that!

IMO you may be able to reach it by only removing the glove box but it's worth the extra 5 mins to pull the additional trim out. I was able to balance my iPhone on top of the big steal bar and use the flashlight to see pretty well with the extra trim removed.

I got my blend actuator changed out this weekend. Took me about an hour. I first attempted to do it without removing all the extra trim. I got the screws out of the actuator, but there was no way I was going to disconnect the plug, so off the trim came.

At any rate, I'm back in business. Thanks for the info!!

My blend door opens and closes but when i put heat on its cold on passenger side also cold on defrost on that side.

My blend door opens and closes but when i put heat on its cold on passenger side also cold on defrost on that side.

Welcome to the forum. I have merged your thread with an existing one on that issue.

Before starting a new thread, we ask that you use the forum search function to keep the same topics together.

Thanks and best of luck with the repair.

Wife had the same issue on her Edge. Unplugged the actuator and plugged it back in and it worked fine. Hers was drivers side, that's the one I unplugged for reference.

2014 Explorer with dual climate is not adding any heat to the passenger side regardless of whether it's in dual mode or not. Only cold air comes out on the passenger when the AC is on and ambient air when the AC is not on.

I assume there's a motor driven louver that's allows more and more heated air depending on the setting? I'd like to fix it myself if I could rather than just taking it to Ford.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

^^^ Your thread has been moved to this one on the same issue. Good luck.

Perfect - thanks Peter.

Hello, I am looking to replace the driver side blend door actuator on my 2011 Explorer. I have found videos/pictures for replacing the passenger side, but nothing on the driver side. I am having difficulty in locating it (I know it is somewhere near the centre console, to the right of the accelerator, but I can't see it). Does anyone know of any sources for pictures or videos for replacing the driver side blend door actuator?

Thanks,
Mike

Hello, I am looking to replace the driver side blend door actuator on my 2011 Explorer. I have found videos/pictures for replacing the passenger side, but nothing on the driver side. I am having difficulty in locating it (I know it is somewhere near the centre console, to the right of the accelerator, but I can't see it). Does anyone know of any sources for pictures or videos for replacing the driver side blend door actuator?

Thanks,
Mike
Having the same issue. I’m going in this weekend and will post a video here and tube. Amazing that no one has posted yet for drivers side actuator...

Having the same issue. I’m going in this weekend and will post a video here and tube. Amazing that no one has posted yet for drivers side actuator...
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Here is a picture I recently posted in another thread with actuator issues. Not sure if will help. I also believe there is a thread concerning the driver's side problem.

Peter

2011_explorer_componentviews_11.png

Using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right) I also found this post about a TSB on the issue. Issue with 2011 Explorer A TSB is only performed for no cost if the vehicle is under warranty.

Peter

I have also had this exact problem on my 13 explorer. I have replaced the passenger side blend door 2 times now in 6 months. Wondering if im missing something? Dose it require and reprograming afterwards?

I have a 2014 XLT, My sync tech touch screen control.

All the air comes out the dash vents. Regardless of what I press it always just comes out the dash vents. I can feel a little air on the floor, none at the window vents. I have read somewhere on line that it is most likely is a control module up under the dash on the drivers side somewhere? Does anyone have more information about this? I know it is not the blend door, I have equal heat/air on both sides. Just can't adjust where the air comes out at. Hoping someone can help me with more info and the procedure to replace this module. I already have a feeling it is not and easy replacement.

XLT.jpg

All the air comes out the dash vents. Regardless of what I press it always just comes out the dash vents. I can feel a little air on the floor, none at the window vents. I have read somewhere on line that it is most likely is a control module up under the dash on the drivers side somewhere? Does anyone have more information about this? I know it is not the blend door, I have equal heat/air on both sides. Just can't adjust where the air comes out at. Hoping someone can help me with more info and the procedure to replace this module. I already have a feeling it is not and easy replacement.

View attachment 170160

Still sounds like a blend door since there are 4 of them. Look at c236 of the diagram posted above.

You have fresh/recirc air, right cold/hot, left cold/hot and direction controls.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the air comes out the dash vents. Regardless of what I press it always just comes out the dash vents. I can feel a little air on the floor, none at the window vents. I have read somewhere online that it is most likely is a control module up under the dash on the driver's side somewhere? Does anyone have more information about this? I know it is not the blend door, I have equal heat/air on both sides. Just can't adjust where the air comes out at. Hoping someone can help me with more info and the procedure to replace this module. I already have a feeling it is not an easy replacement.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Back