Cracking sound climate control panel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cracking sound climate control panel

Ptgilbert5

Reaction score
City, State
Stoughton MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
I have a new to me 2017 Explorer limited, 15k miles. I've had it a week and I hear periodic "cracking" noises that seem to be coming from the climate control buttons. Everything works fine..Is this a normal noise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a new to me 2017 Explorer limited, 15k miles. I've had it a week and I hear periodic "cracking" noises that seem to be coming from the climate control buttons. Everything works fine..Is this a normal noise?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
No, I would not think that is a normal noise. I don't recall anyone else reporting a similar issue.

Peter

You're not the only one.
The cheap plastic trim, running down the entire length of the APIM to the console are held in by tabs and makes creaks and cracking noises as they expand and shrink from the temperature changes.

Thanks. Makes perfect sense given what I've experienced and your explanation. I appreciate the response!

Thanks. Makes perfect sense given what I've experienced and your explanation. I appreciate the response!
Although the explanation may make sense, I have never experienced that creaking noise in my vehicles.

Although the explanation may make sense, I have never experienced that creaking noise in my vehicles.
In due time my friend...if you own your vehcile(s) longer than 2 years.LOL
Mine started after the first winter/summer cycle and if I press on the trim I can hear the creaks.

Go around your entire vehicle and press on the plastic peices and trims throughout and you will hear some creaks and cracks and see the material flex.

I had this happen to me but I haven't heard it in a while. It will probably happen a lot in the summertime.

While I love the 3.5L EB from Ford, the overall quality; leaves alot to be desired.
Here's something I bet many owners with the new redesign is probably not aware of (unless they use their roof rails).
The painted roof rails, is not one solid piece and actually a base consisting of a painted plastic snap on cover.

Thanks for the replies. The 2017 Explorer Limited is a big!!! upgrade from the 2013 XLT I traded in...that had its quirks too! I can see that the trim running the length of the APIM on the right side leaves a gap between the control panel piece with the climate buttons and itself ... the left side is nice and snug ..an obvious space for expansion and noise...I'll see if my dealer will replace it at my first oil change, but I'm guessing it'll be something I'll have to get used to!

You're not the only one.
The cheap plastic trim, running down the entire length of the APIM to the console are held in by tabs and makes creaks and cracking noises as they expand and shrink from the temperature changes.

....... I can see that the trim running the length of the APIM on the right side leaves a gap between the control panel piece with the climate buttons and itself ... the left side is nice and snug ..an obvious space for expansion and noise...I'll see if my dealer will replace it at my first oil change, but I'm guessing it'll be something I'll have to get used to!
APIM? The APIM is under the dash on the back of the Sync3 unit (at least it was on the back of the MFT) and not visible unless you remove the unit or crawl under the dash.;) That control panel runs $900+.

Peter

APIM? The APIM is under the dash on the back of the Sync3 unit (at least it was on the back of the MFT) and not visible unless you remove the unit or crawl under the dash.;) That control panel runs $900+.

I'm sure I'm not referring to that!! I'm referring to what I thought an earlier reply was talking about, "cheap plastic trim," .. it seems to be a poorly fit piece to the right of the climate controls that goes north to south from the sync screen down to the center console. In any event, there's a gap there that surely leads to something having room to move and make that annoying "cracking plastic noise!"

I'm guessing these are pictures that include the trim piece between the center stack and the leather part of the dash. On mine there are no gaps anywhere that I can see. Perhaps the gaps you see on yours are part of the problem.:dunno:

Peter

radio trim.JPG

trim piece.JPG

Thanks for the pics. Now I have something to show my dealer as mine is clearly not as tight as that. I appreciate the help!

I got my 2017 Sport in Late February. For the first month and half, I thought it was the empty water bottle I had in the cup holder that was creaking due to temp changes (cold to warm) from the cold nights to warmed days. Then when I got rid of the empty bottle... the creaks were still there!
I too have a gap between the trim on the right side trim... starts at or below the AC and MAX AC buttons down about 6-8". That's where the creaking comes from (behind the trim).

I'm guessing these are pictures that include the trim piece between the center stack and the leather part of the dash. On mine there are no gaps anywhere that I can see. Perhaps the gaps you see on yours are part of the problem.:dunno:

Peter

View attachment 96162

View attachment 96163

Interesting and timely thread about the noise/rattle/creak coming from somewhere in the center console. About a week ago when traveling over some semi rough roads I noticed a slight, but very annoying rattle coming from either the center counsel or somewhere behind it in the dash. I have an XLT with the premium sound system that I upgraded the speakers on and watched the technician take apart the center console which has the same trim pieces between the center stack and the leather part of the dash as the Sony system. Generally speaking when I hear a rattle my wife does not and invariably says it’s not a big deal, but this time she heard it and took her guess where it was coming from and thought the noise source was the center console door over the USB’s, etc.

Two days ago I pulled out the center console which takes no more than 10 minutes, very easy to do, and looked for anything loose, but could not find anything obvious, but made some slight adjustments with some sticky felt tape pieces which did not get rid of the rattle. So, just yesterday I tapped the lower side of the center console several times and was able to come close to duplicating the rattle. Bottom-line is that at the very bottom of the trim pieces there is a very thin piece of rubber that Ford put on them, but over time they start to rattle because the plastic on them meets the plastic on the center console. The thin piece of rubber tape is not sufficient to keep them from rattling over time. I simply put some a small piece of sticky felt on the bottom of each of them where the black tape was and put them back in and the rattle is gone!

The trim pieces simply snap in and can be pulled out with a plastic inter tool that can be purchased at Harbor Freight or somewhere similar. They are somewhat delicate so be careful when pulling them out.

Now with the warm weather (finally), the cracks and creaks have lessen; but the driver's side mirror is squealing when folding (which has been this way since day one, during really hot days).

My 14' does this as well. Right above my climate buttons it snaps when warming up and cooling down. Pretty Loud. I plan on removing the panel and making small "relief cuts" in spots on the plastic to see if I can alleviate the noise.

First time seeing this on the Forums... so I thought I was all alone.
My has been doing this for a while now... usually occurs more on hot days..
Sometimes when I'm at a light and the sun is coming directly onto the dash.. it will make some noise.
I just assumed it was because of the plastic expanding and contracting.
I'm not sure if there's anything than can be done about it.

First time seeing this on the Forums... so I thought I was all alone.
My has been doing this for a while now... usually occurs more on hot days..
Sometimes when I'm at a light and the sun is coming directly onto the dash.. it will make some noise.
I just assumed it was because of the plastic expanding and contracting.
I'm not sure if there's anything than can be done about it.
My seams are all tight as shown in my previous post and I do not have this issue on hot or cold days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fit and finish on these Explorers is average at best, and very much below average at worst. On my 2014 XLT, the entire left side of the dash was out of alignment. Dealer wanted to remove the entire dash and try to correct it. I passed on that because dash removal almost always creates more problems. Plus it was a lease and I knew I wouldn't have it long.

My 2016 fit is much better, it's close to average, and the seams seem to match up better. These cars are a roll of the dice, and it I was buying a $50K Limited, I would certainly expect better. It's best to lease these cars for just a couple years. You can generally stand most annoyances for that short a period of time.

Back