Swing out tire carrier for 4th gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swing out tire carrier for 4th gen?

Jacob Linder

"Roadhouse" - Peter Griffin
Reaction score
City, State
Chickamauga, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06' Explorer EB 4x4
I know 4th gens aren't the center of attention when it comes to offroading. But I do a fair bit of trail riding and I don't carry a spare underneath for fear of destroying it. Anyone know any ideas how to fab a swing out that you can weld\bolt onto the frame? not a huge fan the trailer hitch mounts... but if anyone knows of some quality ones post them up :)

EDIT: Swing out hitch mount that are quality... Having access to my rear is a MUST!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know 4th gens aren't the center of attention when it comes to offroading. But I do a fair bit of trail riding and I don't carry a spare underneath for fear of destroying it. Anyone know any ideas how to fab a swing out that you can weld\bolt onto the frame? not a huge fan the trailer hitch mounts... but if anyone knows of some quality ones post them up :)

EDIT: Swing out hitch mount that are quality... Having access to my rear is a MUST!

Easiest solutions to this are either to put your spare in the cargo area and ratchet strap it down (either on its side or vertically), or get a roof basket and put it up there.

edit: I see you already have a roof rack so probably already do something like this. For a swing out you might be able to adapt a universal carrier like this to work: http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=23513

A rear tire carrier for your truck will be a custom unit...possibly starting with an S10 Blazer setup and modifying to fit.

Maybe even start with something like this...
IMG_6453.jpeg

IMG_6454.jpeg

https://www.carid.com/fab-fours/bla...?view=800577&gclid=CICt3qOv3NMCFYOCswodmAQKbw

...and mod it to fit.

It's a decent chunk of cash to just cut up though!

A rear tire carrier for your truck will be a custom unit...possibly starting with an S10 Blazer setup and modifying to fit.

Maybe even start with something like this...
IMG_6453.jpeg

IMG_6454.jpeg

https://www.carid.com/fab-fours/bla...?view=800577&gclid=CICt3qOv3NMCFYOCswodmAQKbw

...and mod it to fit.

It's a decent chunk of cash to just cut up though!
So the pics you posted up was the initial design of what I want to do. I'm wanting to keep the stock bumper though. under the rear bumper cover the frame sits riiiiiiiight on a sweet spot to where the base could be welded and hinge attached while just cutting out a piece of the bumper cover. While the other side just hosts the locking mech for the latch.

So the pics you posted up was the initial design of what I want to do. I'm wanting to keep the stock bumper though. under the rear bumper cover the frame sits riiiiiiiight on a sweet spot to where the base could be welded and hinge attached while just cutting out a piece of the bumper cover. While the other side just hosts the locking mech for the latch.

That sounds like it would work well. Post updates if you decide to go forward, this sounds pretty cool!

That sounds like it would work well. Post updates if you decide to go forward, this sounds pretty cool!
Unfortunately for myself I'm not a metal fabricator. I have 0 knowledge on welding. It seems fairly simple though as far as the design goes. I really would like to see this work out myself. It's rare to see actual modded 4th gens!

Sounds like a good reason to learn how to weld :).

Unfortunately for myself I'm not a metal fabricator. I have 0 knowledge on welding. It seems fairly simple though as far as the design goes. I really would like to see this work out myself. It's rare to see actual modded 4th gens!

Sounds like a good reason to learn how to weld :).
I've thought about raiding harbor freight for some beginner welding stuff and learning but I'm afraid i'll suck at it lol

I don't think this is the kind of project that you want to learn how to weld on. Just sayin' lol

The welding is just part of it, you need to fabricate a bracket (that will poke through the bumper cover) to support that hinge.

I don't think this is the kind of project that you want to learn how to weld on. Just sayin' lol

The welding is just part of it, you need to fabricate a bracket (that will poke through the bumper cover) to support that hinge.
Oh this is definitely something I won't be tackling myself. I might assemble it, but no way I could bring myself to actually try to weld this myself for a starter project LOL!

I've thought about raiding harbor freight for some beginner welding stuff and learning but I'm afraid i'll suck at it lol

Fair enough. My first welding machine and welding practice was with a Harbor Freight 90 amp wirefeed welder. Lots of trial and error till I had some formal training, lol.

If you are serious about learning you might look and see if any community colleges in your area have welding classes, that's how I started out and it was well worth the time.

Oh this is definitely something I won't be tackling myself. I might assemble it, but no way I could bring myself to actually try to weld this myself for a starter project LOL!
Did you ever build your swing out tire carrier? I’m looking at doing the same thing. Maybe cut into the uprights below the tail lights to mount the spindle and lock.

Any luck on this?

Hitchgate™ Solo
I have seen one of these on a third gen on instagram. Kind of expensive though

Back