Glasken

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys, oddball question for ya:

Would it be possible to add a double cardan cv h yoke to the transfer case side of the rear drive shaft in a 1993 4 door explorer?

Stay with me a second...

So I did a SOA conversion, and because I didn't check my math when we welded the new perches I have about a 7* positive angle on my pinion (pinion is pointing up at the xfer case). My rear driveshaft is a conventional double yoke, which means there will be some issues with the angles from the xfer case to the pinion being different.

The late Broncos and early 90's f150s have a double h yoke on their driveshafts. Can anyone think of any negatives to adding such a yoke to the xfer case side of my driveshaft to eliminate the pinion angle issue (rather than cut and reweld the perches, which would be the correct thing to do). Adding the new h yoke would also have the effect of a spacer to shore up any reach issues with the SOA.

The H yoke from a Bronco or early f150 has the same dimension bear cap holes and snap rings as the first gen explorer: http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p975_ford_cv_h_yoke_1330_series.html

Looking forward to your opinions, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Provided the yoke fits my driveshaft, this is what I am hoping the setup would look like after adding the h-yoke:

driveshaft1.jpg

My driveshaft currently has a connection that looks like the bottom one in this image, and would like to add the h-yoke as shown on top:
DRIVE_SHAFT_009.jpg

Hope that helps clarify my intentions are. Thanks!

You can use shims to correct the angle.
SPRING%20PERCH_zpsxqudcezo.jpg

I believe a 1995ish ranger double cardan shaft bolts up. You would probably need to lengthen it. Check at your local junk yard.

95&96 sport 4wd come factory with a rear double cardon shaft. You could get one then have it extended.

I have had double cardon joints at the transfer case on both shafts for years with no issues.

Whats the angle degree at the T-case flange? As long as your within 4* of each other, you should be fine. If over a 4* difference, those pinion shims do work well, and come in a variety of degree sizes. You can add to front to raise, and add to the rear to lower, the diff flange.

Whats the angle degree at the T-case flange? As long as your within 4* of each other, you should be fine. If over a 4* difference, those pinion shims do work well, and come in a variety of degree sizes. You can add to front to raise, and add to the rear to lower, the diff flange.

I'm sitting at about 8* off relative to the tcase.

Small update: I went ahead and ordered the 95/96 explorer h-yoke and an extra u-joint. Will see if that solves my problem or not. Will be back in a bit with the results. Thanks for the advice everyone!!

You can't just add a double cardan to your single joint shaft.
carden.jpg

If all you ordered was the h part, you should probably cancel your order.

The route I would take is to get a junkyard shaft that bolts up, have it rebuilt, and probably lengthened.

That was the question I was originally asking. Care to explain why adding the missing pieces wouldn't work?

Dbl C has a bearing joint in the center of the shaft end. I think it needs this for the extra U-joint / H to work properly.

I see what you mean. Looks like the shaft itself also has a piece that fits into the middle bearing. Guess like I'm headed to the scrapyard again.

Ended up taking my stock driveshaft to have the correct double cardan joint welded on, and the shaft itself resized. Fits really well so far. We'll see how it works on the trails.

bump how did it work out ?

I make those parts. Well I did till they where shipped to Mexico. got some laying around here about to get rid of that troublesome front driveshaft on mine.

bump how did it work out ?

After the mods, there are no more vibrations from the rear at speed. Very happy with the job by AZ diff and driveshaft.

Since the driveshaft was modded, we made a few changes to the rear including new spring perches, 1 more inch of lift, and a corrected pinion angle. Drives much better on the highway.

Back