How to: - PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Always wanted a vacuum pump anyway, I just ordered one. Using the fill plug for filling is probably easier than through the vent, will know for sure that the unit is full.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Always wanted a vacuum pump anyway, I just ordered one. Using the fill plug for filling is probably easier than through the vent, will know for sure that the unit is full.

No doubt about that!

A few threads I've read about vac'ing out the PTU say it's tricky (but very doable) to get to the bottom of it. Here's one. I'd recommend reading this entire thread. While it isn't the same car, it's, I believe, the same PTU so all applicable to you. Good summary of tools they used to do the Job

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3360.0.html

Thanks for a great write up and some MacGyver tricks. I thought I was good by tripling up aluminum foil as a temporary fluid diversion like you did with the duct tape but, I like your 1/4" bit trick too. I'm not surprised at the oil in a supposedly lifetime fluid part. I have always been a believer that fluid isn't lifetime and regular fluid changes are important. I have always changed transmission, differential, transfer cases and engine oil on all my vehicles. With a Range Rover at 135kmiles, an Explorer Sport Trac at 95kmiles and the new 2017 Explorer Sport in the driveway, I'll keep doing what has worked for me. I have yet to have a major failure on any vehicle I owned since I started driving in 1978, maybe lucky but more likely the regular maintenance they received.

No doubt about that!

A few threads I've read about vac'ing out the PTU say it's tricky (but very doable) to get to the bottom of it. Here's one. I'd recommend reading this entire thread. While it isn't the same car, it's, I believe, the same PTU so all applicable to you. Good summary of tools they used to do the Job

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3360.0.html
Does not look at all like the Explorer, I have room to get the plug out, not really anything in the way. I also think the vacuum hose should slide in. If I can vacuum it out then sticking a hose in and pumping the gear oil in should be a breeze.

Does not look at all like the Explorer, I have room to get the plug out, not really anything in the way. I also think the vacuum hose should slide in. If I can vacuum it out then sticking a hose in and pumping the gear oil in should be a breeze.

Similar to the PTU you have as it has a plug in the middle. Mostly focus on the extraction techniques for your benefit - all I meant.

Vacuum pump showed up, could not get all the lube out, guess is about 10 ounces came out. Nasty, smelled awful, tar black just like other have said. 45,000 miles, no towing, mainly highway miles with a fair amount in the mountains. I put 12 ounces back in so about 75% has been exchanged. I think I will change it with every oil change from now on. I wish I had the guts to do the bottom drill and tap but that just seems shall we say "risky".

Vacuum pump showed up, could not get all the lube out, guess is about 10 ounces came out. Nasty, smelled awful, tar black just like other have said. 45,000 miles, no towing, mainly highway miles with a fair amount in the mountains. I put 12 ounces back in so about 75% has been exchanged. I think I will change it with every oil change from now on. I wish I had the guts to do the bottom drill and tap but that just seems shall we say "risky".

Part of that smell is simply the smell of Gear Oils but burnt gear oil.. now that's just hard to describe! Much metal in the oil that you saw? I'd say 12 ounces is a win for sure.

You are correct about the smell but the color was so black. I have changed differential fluid and it has never been that black. The guy that posted the video about drilling and tapping a drain plug speculated that the heat being located so close to the exhaust may be a factor.

100% correct, your plug is not a drain plug, but a fill plug. Once oil leaches out the plug its full. That era PTU's were constantly under filled by the way. Should be around 18 ounces.

Lexingtonian, does our 16's have an actual fill plug on the PTU?

Lexingtonian, does our 16's have an actual fill plug on the PTU?

It does. But you would have to take down the catalytic converter on the downpipe to get to it. It is behind a metal shroud and is plugged with a sensor. You have to remove the sensor and you can fill through that hole. Way easier to use the vent.

It does. But you would have to take down the catalytic converter on the downpipe to get to it. It is behind a metal shroud and is plugged with a sensor. You have to remove the sensor and you can fill through that hole. Way easier to use the vent.

OMG, what crap. This is why I love my old jeep. Thanks bro, get some sleep lol.

OMG, what crap. This is why I love my old jeep. Thanks bro, get some sleep lol.

Photos fixed in the original post.

Looks like I have the image linking fouled up. For now, to see the images, use the ecoboostperformanceforum link a couple posts above.

You have to log in to EcoboostPerformanceForum for this link above to work with photos.

Who can help me ? Win 10 and IE 10 but I can`t see the pictures here...all other sides with pictures works fine...

Who can help me ? Win 10 and IE 10 but I can`t see the pictures here...all other sides with pictures works fine...
If you are referring to the photos in the link provided in post #53 I don't think the problem is at your end. I also don't see them.

Peter

You have to log in to EcoboostPerformanceForum for photos in the link above in post #53 to work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll find a new photo provider and fixes the ones here. I apologize all!

Back