• Register Today It's free!

Best after market radiator brand?

3xowner

Reaction score
City, State
Western US
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Explorer EB 4SOHC RWD
I have a slow leak from an upper seam neck the upper hose inlet neck....

tired of dealing with seeing a little coolant on the ground...
seems the Original part was XL2H 8005-DA or 8005(RAD-132) and now the part number is XL2Z8005DA ?
I have the heavy duty towing package and the SOHC set up auto trans....

in looking for a radiator, these for the SOHC engine are just too much for a Motorcraft, like 500-700.
Napa has their brand for 175
ORiellys has the Murray brand for 153-170
rock auto has OEM at 506
Pepboys has a Spectrum Premium for 132 on promo
rock auto also has the Spectrum Premium for 99 (spectrum seems to have the distribution in parts stores)
Rock auto also has these brands around the 90-110 dollar range, APDI/PRO , OSC , Denso

.... any opinions or experience with these brands ? pros and cons?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it Spectrum Premium, or Spectra?

I haven't had to replace my radiator, but I did buy a Spectra fuel pump assembly because they're the only ones who make that part for the 1996. I was reluctant to use it because it was made in China, but it was that or a Motorcraft for $350 and I wasn't willing to drop that $$ on a truck that is borderline passing smog. Build quality was excellent, been running for a year now with no problems.

One thing I'd add is that a lot of the aftermarket parts on old-old-old cars like ours are made by more or less the same company, with different house brand / nameplates attached.

"Best" is a relative term - You can spend under $100 or up to around $300 (maybe more).

For me, good quality and fit at a good price is "best". I've used CSF brand radiators in 3 of my Explorers to-date (Two 5.0L's and 1 SOHC). I paid somewhere from $80-$120 for them with free shipping. They look and fit identical to OE and I haven't had a problem with any of them (oldest one probably going on 5 years now). They're single row, but that's what my OE's were, so I don't have a problem with that.

I put a Spectra two row radiator from Rock Auto in my 5.0L AWD Limited three years ago and have not had any issues at all out of it.

I replaced my radiator 4/17/15 with a Spectra Premium due to header leaks on the old one and an AC Delco 16 psi cap 12RB from Rock Auto for 164.96 total with shipping of 31.97 included. I want to say a cap was included back then but anyway, the cap I got was faulty. I picked up another at local NAPA and all was well again.
Fit was good, same as OEM. No complaints.

EDIT: Its a two year warranty, so nothing great there.

yea, I meant Specta. Seems that this brand is the one they sell at NAPA, Autozone, and Pepboys.

I am going to reach out to Green Sales Company in Cincinnati to see how much they got the Motorcraft one for... nope they did not have it.

anyone else know if there are any other companies selling old inventory from dealers like Green Sales does?

well griffin did not even list 2000 explorers...

I decided to get it from autozone... 122.24 plus tax.
CU2309 Spectra....

pep boys 122.24 and rockauto 108 (with shipping) were teh cheapest.
autozone is right down the street and I always borrow tools from them... so i called and asked them to price match which the did.

hopefully picking it up later this afternoon :)

I had a radiator from Carquest installed. Mechanic had some issues getting some hoses to seal, but he finally got them to. He was going to just get another one from Carquest if he couldn't get them to seal anyways. Besides the small sealing issues, it works fine.

A co-worker bought a radiator from Carquest for his Dodge Ram. No issues. Works fine.

well griffin did not even list 2000 explorers...

I know that, that's why I linked to them, because they specialize in building custom radiators..."Custom Radiators" in big letters right across their home page.

well I installed it and same quirk as the first one I tried from the salvage yard... the right side (pass) upper bolt hole does not line up. the fan has good clearance on the shroud right now, but I know I need to secure it more.

first I should not have been stupid enough to try a bone yard unit but it looked decent and seemed to be OEM, lesson learned that a part like this is not worth trying as it leaked too. lost about $20 bucks plus time and gas money returning it for "credit". I guess if i had not been so headstrong on sticking with OEM for such a simple and easy to replace (1.5 hr max) plastic and metal part... I would have been better off.

the new spectra looks good in place so i left as is. I will either better secure it down with a zip tie or may even drill in a new hole to teh cross frame there as to then allow the bolt to secure down normally. Compared things slightly, but when I ran into this bolt alignment, I just did not want to keep removing the new unit in and out as to lessen chance of damage. I too it out once as to inspect the flange on the frame to make sure the rubber mounts there were seeded properly as they are about 3/4 inch think... yes there were.

a few notes:
the plastic pet **** was different.... has two fins now so as to twist by hand.... I did like the OE that had maybe a 17 mm hex shape... but even OEM was tempting to over torque and damage... I had done that once before.

the radiator upper support bolts rubber grommet is all rubber on the Specta, OE was rubber surrounding a metal oval collar. I only noticed this later and wish I would have swapped the OE into the Spectra.

Moved the front upper plastic v shroud over to new and the transmission line bracket to the Spectra rad.

I guess if it was any newer of a vehicle, I may have considered getting a better radiator... a 2 row version. Being here in hotter SW US I would think it makes sense to get the extra volume radiator... I tow, just not a lot at the moment, but always think to push that limit of 5000+ lbs.

"Best" is a relative term - You can spend under $100 or up to around $300 (maybe more).

For me, good quality and fit at a good price is "best". I've used CSF brand radiators in 3 of my Explorers to-date (Two 5.0L's and 1 SOHC). I paid somewhere from $80-$120 for them with free shipping. They look and fit identical to OE and I haven't had a problem with any of them (oldest one probably going on 5 years now). They're single row, but that's what my OE's were, so I don't have a problem with that.
i have been looking at the CSF brand for mine but the only reason im replacing my radiator is for it to stop losing coolant (dumping it) and so my heater works. does the heater work great with it? does has it overheated at all?

Back