Completed Project - Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread | Page 48 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Hello everybody! It's time to start the SAS on my Explorer. It will be an awesome project and the first project of this type and size that I have ever undertaken. Up to this point the sliders where the hardest thing that I have made myself. I am open to any suggestions and or insights from anyone as the project gets underway. I have bought every last part for the build minus the hard brake lines (axles, and from master to the frame) and the flexible lines that go down to the axles. Those are all easy to make so I am not worried about it for now until I get the axles put together and can see what i want to do with those.

Now for a list of things I will be doing with the project:
1995 F-150 8.8 - I bought this used rear axle that I will strip, lock with a Detroit, convert to Explorer Disc brakes, and mount to the truck. Factory rear sway bar will be used. I will be doing a spring over conversion and will also be remaking the rear V8 anti axle wrap bars to help the leaf springs out with the leverage and TQ the V8 37's and 5.13's will put on them.
1976 F-150 HP Dana 44 - I bought this used axle and will be stripping it of the Ford factory wedges, trussing, and building custom glorified radius arms. Like DB_1 runs and like Rubicon Expresses makes. Front will also have a Detroit Truetrac LSD in it as well. This Dana 44 has 1/2" thick axle tubes.
Fox 14" Remote reservoir coil-overs - I will be building shock hoops for these coil-overs, bracing them, and tying them together across the top of the engine with removable double lock tube clamps.
1995 F-150 Steering box - This will be mounted inside the frame rail and used with the factory PS pump and will build a custom steering link from the box to the column. I picked this 1 to keep it ALL Ford and 2 because they are fairly cheap and easy and can be tapped for hydro assist at some point if I want or need it. In order to fit this steering gear I also have to remote mount my oil filter so that it has room. I will be getting rid of the factory oil cooler and have a Trans Dapt remote filter relocation kit.

Project Parts Section:
-37X13.50 R17 Interco M-16's
-Fox 14" Remote reservoir coil-overs with Eibach Springs.
-Detroit Locker for the 8.8
-Detroit Truetrac for the Dana 44
-Yukon 5.13 gears for both front and rear.
-Both axles will receive ALL new bearings races and seals u-joints etc.
-All wheel studs front and rear and spindle studs have been replaced for safety reasons. To cheap not to.
-Already had EBC brakes on it so those pads on rear will be reused and new EBC 7000 series pads for the front have been purchased.
-New front rotors wheel bearings and new Spicer ball joints, going to reuse the warn locking hubs as they work great and are in good order and easily changed later if i wanted.
-1978 Ford T-Bird calipers have been bought in place of the factory F-150 ones. They are 17% bigger in piston size so will give me a little more brake up front to help stop those 37's.
-Trans Dapt Oil filter relocation Kit and addition mount to hook to the block at a 90*.
-Currie Johnny Joints and Rubicon Express Clevite bushings for the all the link ends.
-GM 1 ton tre's for the steering with a high angle tre at the pitman arm.
-Front axle truss. (wasn't impressed with it at all so will be making some changes)
-Extending current Expedition rear drive shaft and will have a custom double cardon one made for the front.
-Metal used: 2"X.250 wall DOM for lower links, 1 1/2"X.250 wall DOM used for upper links, 1 1/2"X.375 wall DOM used for trac bar, and ALL tabs and brackets will be made out of 1/4" Flat plate by me.
-Double lock tube clamps for the shock hoop cross brace that uses 2 3/8" bolts on each. These are so It can be removed.
-All Grade 8 hardware will be used.
-All flexible brake lines will be braided stainless steel Teflon lined hoses.

I like to follow others projects and often find myself wanting more pictures so bare with me there will be A LOT of pictures of the build. I hope you enjoy lots of pictures as much as I do.

First some pictures of what the truck was! Then onto some parts pictures. Build will start shortly.
1998 XLT Explorer. 5.0L with the 4R70W trans. I have the 4406 T-Case. 3.73 gears with rear LSD. Goodyear 31's. Rock sliders and front skid plate. Links to those builds are in my signature.

P1020388.JPG

P1020410.JPG

P1020476.JPG

P1020488.JPG

And here is some video links! :) There are a few videos of me wheeling in CO with nssj2!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the steel one would work on either a 2wd or 4wd, plus I'm thinking it might give you a little more space too because of the wall thickness of steel vs. cast aluminum? And you can easily modify it if you needed. I wouldn't be able to ship it till next Tuesday though.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I believe the steel one would work on either a 2wd or 4wd, plus I'm thinking it might give you a little more space too because of the wall thickness of steel vs. cast aluminum? And you can easily modify it if you needed. I wouldn't be able to ship it till next Tuesday though.
Awesome Thanks! I'll run over to Ford and if they are unable to get it etc then I'll let you know. And yes agreed even if it was hit it would just bend. :)

@mounty71 What oil pan are you running now?

Now I'm using a dual sump pan for a Mustang.

I can ship my steel one this weekend or Monday if you still want it.

I can ship my steel one this weekend or Monday if you still want it.
Do you have the factory reinforcement pieces as well? :) If so that would be great. Wonder if my aluminum oil pan bolts are to long as well with the steel being a little thinner?

I never could find anywhere where the 2WD or AWD where any different.

I'm glad I was at home with fast download speeds so the picture loaded as fast as the text, or I would have been concerned.:laugh:
:D

I don't remember, if my new gasket came with new ones then I probably do, but if it didn't then I reused the stock ones.

Photo bucket got money hungry and put everyone's pictures basically up for ransom. It's no longer free and they want some crazy amount of money just to use their service. It's ruined a ton of online forum builds.

It's Photobucket not the forum. Pb wants you to pay for a $300 membership for hosting pics. What a crock.

So curious why did the forum get rid of all pictures that where tagged from photo hosts like photo bucket?
Pictures are working fine for me with the add ons installed using firefox as a browser on my PC

Well its been a bit since I have posted. Haven't hardly done anything with my truck just taken it out driving a few times. It turned into a busy year. But on the project front we did get the FOX coilovers installed on @sector9 truck. It has turned out great. Currently need to install the FOX bumps then we can start messing with different spring rates if needed. But has been fun to build. (been slow doing it after the kids go to bed and when we both have time to get together)

Bought another 96 5.0L Explorer and a 2007 Expedition as well. Changing some things around to free up our income. (Selling 2015 Escape)

Went and stretched the legs of the Explorer a few weeks ago. Was a great day out with the family just enjoying the decent day and a nice drive. This will likely be the last trip with just the 4 of us. We are adding a 5th member on Feb 2nd. Adding another little boy! :)
20171230_100930.jpg
20171230_101055.jpg
20171230_101106.jpg
20171230_101429.jpg
20171230_101442.jpg
20171230_102225.jpg
20171230_102649.jpg
20171230_102716.jpg
20171230_102723.jpg
20171230_102727.jpg
20171230_102740.jpg

Wow!! It really has been over a year since I have even posted. Crazy it has gone that fast.

New things here is in the last post with the pictures we where about to have my 3rd kid. That happened and all went well. Then another crazy :crazy: thing happened and we got pregnant again with our 4th only 8 weeks after having the 3rd!! :eek: :help: So with that added a bunch of time for the new one and struggles for the wife. In the first trimester she went into the hospital with severe chest pains, long story short she had gall stones. The gall bladder was removed however the gall stones stuck in her main bile duct could not as that requires X-Rays and as a best practice they try extremely hard to avoid that if at all possible during pregnancy. This all included days in hospitals, an ambulance ride to another one and a few additional days there. This cost a bit of $$$, thank goodness for our good insurance through her work. However this resulted in a very uncomfortable 4th pregnancy for her and she needed my help with 3 kids and not feeling well. Felt guilty spending time on my projects and hobbies. Now though that is all done, we had our 4th with no further issues minus a brief 24hr in the incu to stabilize his sugars. (just another $10K, lol) She then had the surgery to remove the gall stones and all is going well. All be it very time consuming with 2 kids under 1 year old. (The 3rd just turned 1 end of Jan)

Oh and in the middle of all this I am finishing 3 bedrooms in the basement and has taken even that much more time and is going slower than I would like.

Things that have not changed is the Currie Antirock bar is still in the closet as is the FOX bumps. Nothing like keeping parts shiny!!!! :thumbsup:

So yup that's where I am at. Not much with the Explorer but a WHOLE ton with life. Looking forward to finishing the bedrooms by the end of April then Me and my brothers can finish the swing set steering on Sector9's 91 explorer Secor9's truck and get all my parts installed on mine. That's our goal for this year.

20160528_110034.jpg
20160529_171756.jpg
20160624_235215.jpg
20160702_203812.jpg
20160702_211002.jpg

Well congrats on the newest child, and Momma making it through all that. 2 of them that close together, will be almost like having twins. Fun times a coming!

Now, if you would put a clamp on it, and get back to making Mods instead, I can continue to enjoy watching your rig progress into the pure awesomeness it is. K?

Great looking rig. Amazing work. Congrats. Question on your brakes, It looks like you bypassed the ABS system by re-routing the lines. Can you explain the effects and how has it worked for you by doing this? Are you getting a constant ABS light or Did you remove the ABS light from the dash?

Back