Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Add me to the list. 17k and tread separation in the fronts. Rotated 2x. Seems like everyone else these are too soft for the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Add me to the list. 17k and tread separation in the fronts. Rotated 2x. Seems like everyone else these are too soft for the truck.
They are passenger car tires.

I'll be replacing this month, with our Arizona heat it only increases the wear/tear on tires and not worth the risk.

We too have a 2016 Platinum with only 16k of mileage and dealer has informed us tire tread wear is to the point tires need to be replaced, even though we have had the tires rotated and no different driving conditions for the last 10 years relative to the other new cars we have had and tires lasted over 40k miles. Called Hankook and they said nothing they can do with the warranty due to tread wear. Planning to send Ford a note to let them know they are putting inferior tires on high end vehicles. Very sad!!! Will not buy another Ford if we can not get another brand of tire on initial purchase, sad because we like Ford but don't like feeling like being taken advantage of, whether we are nor not!!!

I think the Ventus S1 Noble 2 handle great but as others have noted they are a super soft tire so they don't last long.

Not my preferred tires either, but mine are holding up fairly well (swapped out during winters) and were last measured at 8/32, with about 10k miles a year duing the spring/summer seasons.

We too have a 2016 Platinum with only 16k of mileage and dealer has informed us tire tread wear is to the point tires need to be replaced, even though we have had the tires rotated and no different driving conditions for the last 10 years relative to the other new cars we have had and tires lasted over 40k miles. Called Hankook and they said nothing they can do with the warranty due to tread wear. Planning to send Ford a note to let them know they are putting inferior tires on high end vehicles. Very sad!!! Will not buy another Ford if we can not get another brand of tire on initial purchase, sad because we like Ford but don't like feeling like being taken advantage of, whether we are nor not!!!
Welcome to the Forum Richard.:wave:
If you do follow through with sending a note to Ford on this issue, perhaps you can ask them to explain why they are installing a passenger car tire on an SUV. According to the Hankook website, this is a passenger car tire and likely carries a lower load rating.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Richard.:wave:
If you do follow through with sending a note to Ford on this issue, perhaps you can ask them to explain why they are installing a passenger car tire on an SUV. According to the Hankook website, this is a passenger car tire and likely carries a lower load rating.

Peter
Speaking specifically of the tires that comes on the Sport, with a load rating of 105 (925kg per tire); that is well within spec for this SUV.
Are the other models equipped with a lower load rated tire?

I have gone through two sets of the Hankooks...the first 4 were replaced at about 12k miles when the dealer determined that the car was aligned incorrectly from the factory. The second set lasted until 30k miles...they were almost completely shot at that point. I am not too crazy of a driver and the tires get rotated every 5k miles, so I was baffled. I put Michelin Premier LTX tires on and it's a whole new vehicle! It is much quieter and handles much better than when on the Hankooks...

Dealer said that 20105 miles is good for Explorer SUV Platinum (a $55,000 SUV) with Hankook tires. Hankook tires will never be on any vehicle I buy again! This may be my last Explorer, if offered for Hankook OEM Tire when trade-in time comes in 2 years. Off to buy Michelin LTX on Monday Aug 14 2017 and No more dealings with my nearby Ford DEALER.

Dealer said that 20105 miles is good for Explorer SUV Platinum (a $55,000 SUV) with Hankook tires. Hankook tires will never be on any vehicle I buy again! This may be my last Explorer, if offered for Hankook OEM Tire when trade-in time comes in 2 years. Off to buy Michelin LTX on Monday Aug 14 2017 and No more dealings with my nearby Ford DEALER.
The dealer is not responsible for the tires on the vehicles and Hankook will not replace the tires due to treadwear so there is no reason to get upset with the dealer. If you check out the Hankook website you'll see the tires are designated as 'passenger' car tires. Chances are the dealer could probably give you a better price on the Michelins.

Peter

I have gone through two sets of the Hankooks...the first 4 were replaced at about 12k miles when the dealer determined that the car was aligned incorrectly from the factory. The second set lasted until 30k miles...they were almost completely shot at that point. I am not too crazy of a driver and the tires get rotated every 5k miles, so I was baffled. I put Michelin Premier LTX tires on and it's a whole new vehicle! It is much quieter and handles much better than when on the Hankooks...
Here's what baffles me. I just had my '20,000 mile' check-up done at just under 18,000 miles earlier today and was told my tires were not quite to half life and that at the current rate I could expect 35,000-40,000 miles out of them. Maybe it's because I don't have a sport to do burnouts? haha I doubt we put Hankooks back on it next time, though, as we get Contis and Generals at a discounted price.

All I am stating is that if our new 2020 Ford Explorer ( My Trade cycle is 4 years) has Hankook Tires I will look elsewhere for another brand of SUV. It would be Dumb to repeat this mistake again.

All I am stating is that if our new 2020 Ford Explorer ( Trade cycle is 4 years) has Hankook Tires I will look elsewhere for another brand of SUV. It would be Dumb to repeat this mistake again.
When I picked up my new 2011 Limited it had Hankook tires. Going by the unflattering reviews I had read on them I arranged with a local tire shop to trade them in on a set of Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. They allowed $80 per tire for the Hankooks. I realize that everyone has their own ideas about certain things, but for me I wouldn't let the tire brand stop me from getting the vehicle I want. I don't know how long the contract between the two parties runs. Perhaps Sgt1411 might know.

Peter

All I am stating is that if our new 2020 Ford Explorer ( My Trade cycle is 4 years) has Hankook Tires I will look elsewhere for another brand of SUV. It would be Dumb to repeat this mistake again.
Adding to what Peter said you can also have the dealer swap out the tires. Depending on your dealer you might have to pay for them for their costs (minus trade-in of the Hankook's) or if you can drive a really hard bargain you might get them swapped out for free.

I only got about 9,000 miles on my rear Metzler ME880... Oops wrong forum. :D Tires are everything in safety whether it's a single track vehicle like a motorcycle or a 5000 lb SUV. I see the complaining about wear, but not that these are unsafe. With only 1700 miles on my Explorer, I have no real opinion on these tires. But they didn't slide me off the road in heavy rain and should last longer than my rear motorcycle tire. I'll keep them properly inflated and see how they do, but I do trust Michelins and Dunlops.

Replaced the 22,000 mile (worn Out 1/32 at 22,000 miles)
Hankook VENTUS S1 NOBLE2 - SIZE: 255/50R20
with
Michelin's Premier LTX

from Tire rack Test Report's
What We Liked: Good road manners and excellent wet weather performance along with good winter traction

What We'd Improve: Not much improvement needed here

Conclusion: This tire raises the expectation of what a Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire can do in wet and winter's worst weather

WHAT a DIFFRENCE!!
Ford should have used Michelin's Premier LTX instead of the cheap Hankook on the top of the line $55,000 Platinum Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replaced the 22,000 mile (worn Out 1/32 at 22,000 miles)
Hankook VENTUS S1 NOBLE2 - SIZE: 255/50R20
with
Michelin's Premier LTX

from Tire rack Test Report's
What We Liked: Good road manners and excellent wet weather performance along with good winter traction

What We'd Improve: Not much improvement needed here

Conclusion: This tire raises the expectation of what a Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire can do in wet and winter's worst weather

WHAT a DIFFRENCE!!
Ford should have used Michelin's Premier LTX instead of the cheap Hankook on the top of the line $55,000 Platinum Explorer.
The Michelins are fabulous tires and will be on our Explorer eventually. I had them on a CX-9 and I think were some of the best tires I have ever had. I believe they
probably chose the Hankooks because their softer sidewall can give the feel of a softer ride.

Back