• Register Today It's free!

4.0L Advice/Opinions

charbaugh

Reaction score
City, State
Little Elm, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 F250 Lariat
I'm looking to get the wife an '07-'08ish Explorer, but the 6.4s are hard to find. I have no experience with the 4.0L and wanted to get opinions on reliability, known problems, things to look out for, etc. This will be a grocery-getter with no towing needs, so I'm not worried about power or the MPG side of the discussion. I searched old posts, and that seems to be what most focus on. I'm more concerned with if the engine and tranny are solid or not. Appreciate any feedback.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

don't know why the 4.0L gets a bad rap got a 2010 w/4.0L sohc and haven't one single issue with powertrain is solid average about 18-20mpg about 99% driving is hwy driving it's got about 109,000 mile oh her. It's maintained very will too. :)

I have 2 of them, get the v8, period.
I like the v6 and probably for majority of people it works, but I feel like that 4.0 engine will go south any moment, hope not... I do not hear any noises or weird sounds. But the tranny already went at 117 k miles on the v6, the one on v8 is still strong at 245k miles. The overall feeling and acceleration is much better on the v8, you get 80 more horsepower I believe, with a little or no mileage penalty.
I did the entire timing rebuilt on the v8 for $ 700 using Ford parts, with the engine in the car in half a day.
I do not want to think about timing on the v6, probably it will be a complete engine swap.

Bump V8 and the MPG is equal or better. Our new to us V8 is coming back with good number now that warmer temperatures have appeared. 2008-2009 are the best as there have been various fixes in later 2008 year as well.

The chances of getting a 4.0L engine in good condition is slim. No way to know how it was maintained or the OCI used. If its an off lease originally it will have be in rough shape since the interval will have been long. The 4.6L V8 is a much better bet hands down.

If it wasn't for the silly Rube Goldberg timming chain design, I wouldn't be overly concerned with the V6. My 2006 has had the usual radiator issues (3), and one thermostat housing, but nothing else in 11 years and 120,000 miles.
I just can't get over what a silly design these chains are, and it's constantly in the back of my mind that someday they gonna let go on me, and take the motor with it.

And the truth is there are thousands of owners with 200k on them, and transmission. But there are also hundreds who lost both before 150k mark or even before.

Interesting story: when I was calling around shopping for the 5r55 tranny for my son's 07, they had them stock up on the shelves ready to ship, and i got one in 2 days. When I asked about the price for 6r60, they did not carry them at all, that's how little business they have for them, and they did not even bother.

I always wonder why the companies keep selling something with such a flaw. And the answer is of course $$$. They invested millions into R&D, marketing, testing, etc....
They need to sell x number of those to recup the costs they invested in it. Most of them make it past 36k or 60k warranty mark, so it's all good for Ford :)

I do as well wonder why parts withing aren't replace that cause the problem. It does not show well in reliability and repair issues in JDPower or Edmonds to name two. I looked at various year and model ratings and 2009 was the best year flowed by 2008. Oddly it drops off for the 2010 year for some reason. You'd think it would be better if not the same.

As much as I love my 06' explorer. It's also a 4.0. Just had the tranny rebuilt last week. $2700 later and even though I brought it in for that and the timing chains, they say the chains are good. I am still calling bs on it because I can here them in there rattling. I have 117000 miles on mine now. Since October I have had the front drive shaft replaced,radiator replaced, rear wheel bearings/hubs replaced. tranny rebuilt. This weekend I will be taking the front of the engine off to check the front timing components. Id say if you can. Try to find a 4.6. Though I hear those engines have problems with coolant leaks? If it wasn't for my Explorer looking like it just came from the dealer I would have never put all this money into it...

The only coolant leak I know of on the 4.6 is from the Y split on the heater hose, which is probably same as on 4.0
Otherwise, it's the first I heard of.

I have an 08 EXT with the 4.0 liter and I can tell you its nothing short of great. The 4.0 has more low end torque than my Toyota 4 liter Tacoma and has not caused me any headaches. I'm glad I don't have V8 spark plug issue. I've changed the plugs once already and it was a piece of cake. Any way I wouldn't lose sleep over the engine. The trans will go out long before the 4.0.

I have a 4.0 with 274,000 on it that runs great and barely uses any oil. I changed the timing chains, tensioners, and guides at about 250,000, and nothing was broken except the balance shaft tensioner. Otherwise, I have had very little trouble with the engine.

The transmission went south at about 140,000 and I paid someone to do a rebuild that included sleeving the servo bores. It has been solid as a rock since then.

Good preventative maintenance will go a long way with these Explorers, but you will eventually run up against the servo bore issue in the transmission and the timing chain problems in the engines.

I have a 2009 with 175000 miles and have not had a single issue. It runs great, I've put 67000 miles on it in the 3 years I've owned it.

Plasitcseng, Gadourym -

Thats great news, and I am sure theer are more cases like that. As we know, only the bad stuff gets posted.

Plasticseng -

what made you do it ?

Was it making any noise ? Also, did you pull the engine out or you had a shop do it ?

Plasitcseng, Gadourym -

Thats great news, and I am sure theer are more cases like that. As we know, only the bad stuff gets posted.

Plasticseng -

what made you do it ?

Was it making any noise ? Also, did you pull the engine out or you had a shop do it ?

I did have some rattle at startup, and I wasn't reading about any 4.0's making it as long as mine without having at least some minor timing chain issues. I decided to bite the bullet and do it before it really became a problem. I pulled the engine and did it myself. I bought an engine hoist and stand, both of which I sold to my neighbor after I was done. I also bought the OTC timing tool kit; and I still have it. It wasn't too bad of a job. Some of the guys on here have posted some great information that made it much easier. 2000StreetRod has done us all a great service with his threads.

My $0.02. I agree with Explorer_PL. Hold out for the V8 if you can. The trans and engine seem to be stronger and last longer. My 5R55S trans lost gears/bands around 126,000 miles. Shortly after the new trans went in and all was right in the world, the 4.0L engine lost time due to broken chain guides around 132,000. Ended up getting another engine. Hope it gives me a few more good years. The Eddie Bauer has been a nice addition to the family.

I'm looking to get the wife an '07-'08ish Explorer, but the 6.4s are hard to find. I have no experience with the 4.0L and wanted to get opinions on reliability, known problems, things to look out for, etc. This will be a grocery-getter with no towing needs, so I'm not worried about power or the MPG side of the discussion. I searched old posts, and that seems to be what most focus on. I'm more concerned with if the engine and tranny are solid or not. Appreciate any feedback.

My 06 w/4.0 v6 was purchased last year w/112K. I replaced trans and brake fluid as pre-caution and since have replaced struts, tires, and brakes. Present mileage is 135K and engine is faultless and body is tight. No radiator or transmission problems. The truck has chk eng light since purchase indicating need for cat converters to overcome emissions issue but, since Athens, Ga has no emissions testing, I have ignored the light. There has been no negative effect on engine performance during that time and to this date. I wish you luck in your search for a good vehicle.

Back