Dual Moon roof Rattle | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Moon roof Rattle

Not to beat a dead horse of a thread, lol, but I too have the rattle. I'm pretty sure mine has nothing to do with the glass panels as I have carefully inspected them and tightened anything associated with them. I have pinpointed the source on my Ex to be the sunshade roller itself. I only get the rattle sound on bumpy roads (basically everywhere in NY/Long Island) when the shade is fully closed. As soon as I partially or fully open the sunshade it is quiet. It must be the sun shade roller assembly. Short of replacing it, has anyone fixed it in any way? I'd rather not have to fully drop the headliner if I don't have to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's worth making a drip to the dealer to have them look at it. I was 1000% sure it was my sunroof as it would stop rattling when I pressed my hand up against it, but it turned out to be the roof rack. I keep my shade open most of the time, so I haven't experienced that issue.

In addition to my (separate) issue of a B-pillar rattle, the sunroof has been chattering since last week as well.

Got a video today. High pitched rattle to enjoy on my 40 minute commute each way.

At least the dealer can't claim to not hear it again.

In addition to my (separate) issue of a B-pillar rattle, the sunroof has been chattering since last week as well.

Got a video today. High pitched rattle to enjoy on my 40 minute commute each way.

At least the dealer can't claim to not hear it again.

Let me know how it goes - mine does this but worse.

So, after the second all-day visit, "I can't hear it." We silicone sprayed the hell out of it anyway, seemed OK for about a day before starting up again. So I got the spray out again to see where I end up.

B pillar rattle was fixed for about the same time, but we have that isolated. There's a shield on the underside that decides to shift and groan--can replicate it with my hand and my back on a crawler. Can't seem to snap it back into place to silence it.

So, after the second all-day visit, "I can't hear it." We silicone sprayed the hell out of it anyway, seemed OK for about a day before starting up again. So I got the spray out again to see where I end up.

B pillar rattle was fixed for about the same time, but we have that isolated. There's a shield on the underside that decides to shift and groan--can replicate it with my hand and my back on a crawler. Can't seem to snap it back into place to silence it.
I noticed that if I push up on the fixed glass portion of the dual roof when it's rattling it stops.

Mines going in Monday for an oil change, fix the failing park aid errors constantly (for the second time, removed front bumper cover and replaced some wiring the first time), rattling moonroof, and rattle 2nd row right seat (I have the bench). I'm at just shy of 18,000 miles.

And I thought mine had some quality issues. "I see your rattle and raise you a failing park aid!"

I think it's the fixed pane as well. Yesterday when I got into it, it rattled when the door slammed shut. I pounded and pulled, seems that it might be the front driver's side corner of the fixed pane. I am going to review the service manual today and might back out and re-tighten the bolt at the left corner.

And I thought mine had some quality issues. "I see your rattle and raise you a failing park aid!"
The "self park" feature was the first thing that failed on my 2011. They replaced the front right sensor.

The "self park" feature was the first thing that failed on my 2011. They replaced the front right sensor.

They already pulled my front bumper and replaced one of them a few months ago, I don't know what's going on now.

Well, looks like I'm driving a 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD for the weekend. Ford Dealer had to escalate parking sensor issue to Ford because they couldn't figure it out, the SA didn't have an update for me on the rattling moonroof when he called because they had spent the entire day attempting to isolate the parking sensor issue.

Man, I hate 4 cylinders. This thing needs a turbo.

Edit: the dealership (Colonial Ford of Plymouth, Massachusetts) prepaid the rental for 7 days for me. A+ Customer Service, I didn't even have to ask for the car. Not so happy with my Explorer, but very happy with the dealership.

Nice. I can't get mine back in until 7/3... two full days without the car over 3 weeks of messing around, still not even close to fixing anything.

Frustrated, but so far the sunroof has been quiet(ish) after a ton of silicone spray applications.

So, my moonroof rattle has been fixed. During a roadtrip it acted up again. Two hours of hearing that noise--not good.

But, from the R/O: "Removed moonroof glass panel and lubricated gasket. lubricated front edge of fixed glass panel. reinstalled and aligned sliding glass panel." Noise gone.

So, my moonroof rattle has been fixed. During a roadtrip it acted up again. Two hours of hearing that noise--not good.

But, from the R/O: "Removed moonroof glass panel and lubricated gasket. lubricated front edge of fixed glass panel. reinstalled and aligned sliding glass panel." Noise gone.

Good to know, mine is back in as of yesterday for the park aid and the moonroof again. If they don't resolve the moonroof issue on this visit I'll mention that. My service advisor was going to have their body shop do the moonroof to make sure it's done properly.

Edit: they paid for a rental car (I got a 2017 Edge Titanium from Enterprise Rent-a-Car) right when I dropped it off this time, no time without a car is nice.

Mine seemed to make some noise if you put some pressure/pounding on the top driver's side corner of the fixed pane. I think that made my tech's diagnostic track easier. It was hard to reproduce until I found a common link.

Keep me posted. And a 17 Titanium Edge sounds like a really, really nice rental ride.

So, after a week, back to square one... going to try, yet again, to fix it myself.

The quality of this vehicle continues to be a failure.

So, after a week, back to square one... going to try, yet again, to fix it myself.

The quality of this vehicle continues to be a failure.

They removed my moonroof and re-sealed it twice now: it still rattles but not nearly as bad. The body shop tech said that these rattling is normal, he's never seen one not rattle. I find that hard to believe as mine didn't do it for the first year and a half I had it.

I don't know what else to do, I'm going to bring it to the Lincoln dealer that services my Z for a second opinion - the service advisor I work with there suggested I have them look at it when I was venting about it one day.

They also said they'd be happy to give me Lincoln loaners when dropping my Explorer off for service.

Having driven a 2017 MKX and 2017 Edge for the last two weeks, they both seemed to be put together much better. They also have the moonroof setup where the larger part is the front part that opens and the smaller part is the rear fixed portion, no rattle.

The moonroofs on my 2011 Explorer, 2014 MKT and 2017 Explorer have been solid. No rattles or squeaks.

Peter

They removed my moonroof and re-sealed it twice now: it still rattles but not nearly as bad. The body shop tech said that these rattling is normal, he's never seen one not rattle. I find that hard to believe as mine didn't do it for the first year and a half I had it.

I don't know what else to do, I'm going to bring it to the Lincoln dealer that services my Z for a second opinion - the service advisor I work with there suggested I have them look at it when I was venting about it one day.

They also said they'd be happy to give me Lincoln loaners when dropping my Explorer off for service.

Having driven a 2017 MKX and 2017 Edge for the last two weeks, they both seemed to be put together much better. They also have the moonroof setup where the larger part is the front part that opens and the smaller part is the rear fixed portion, no rattle.

I think I need to visit your dealer. Roadtrip, but for the rattling sunroof, and the stench that sometimes occurs on heavy/wide open throttle. If I didn't have so much invested in this car with equipment and snow tires/rims/etc I'd probably sell it and be done with Ford, entirely. This car was supposed to be a splurge and has been nothing but a massive pain, but for the few moments of shining bliss.

I think I need to visit your dealer. Roadtrip, but for the rattling sunroof, and the stench that sometimes occurs on heavy/wide open throttle. If I didn't have so much invested in this car with equipment and snow tires/rims/etc I'd probably sell it and be done with Ford, entirely. This car was supposed to be a splurge and has been nothing but a massive pain, but for the few moments of shining bliss.

I chalk it up to it being a new model (the 2016 has quite a few new components considering it was only supposed to be a cosmetic refresh), mechanically the car is fairly reliable with the exception of the throttle body issues. Pretty much every issue I've had has been solved en mass with the 2017 MY. I wouldn't right off Ford, as disappointing as it is there's plenty of problems with other brands with the same things.

I'll certainly buy another Ford, maybe even an Explorer but I definitely will never buy another car the first year of a redesign or refresh from any manufacturer. Also, my build date was a Friday - that might explain some of it too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have two other FMCs, a Focus and an Escape. Both of them have been beyond flawless.

My last Taurus wasn't too bad, but other vehicles in between left a lot to be desired. So, might be time to try something new, next time.

Back