What does everyone want to see in the redesign of the Explorer? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What does everyone want to see in the redesign of the Explorer?

If the Explorer was redesigned in 2019 for 2020MY, what would you want to see?

• Self driving tech

• Hybrid/ Plug in hybrid

• Fully electric

• Body on frame

• FWD based + AWD + 9 speed transmission

• RWD based + AWD + 10 speed transmission

• Second generation Ecoboost 3.5L

• V8

• Unibody

• Adaptive suspension (Probably magnetic dampening)

Results are only viewable after voting.
om my goodness... we're on page 2 and no one has said....

"an engine with an external water pump" LOL

Oh yeah! Definitely an external waterpump! Hopefully no PTU problems either!
When Ford redesigns the Explorer, if the rumors are true, a RWD based platform will result in longitudinal engine position and in these designs with Ford, the waterpump is always on the outside.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had them on the 2014 MKT and don't have them on the Platinum and to tell the truth I haven't missed them at all. Actually this is the first I've even thought about them after getting the Explorer 3.5 months ago.

Peter

But Peter you do not drive that much :)
I really love LED headlight conversion kits.

Brian

Oh yeah! Definitely an external waterpump! Hopefully no PTU problems either!
When Ford redesigns the Explorer, if the rumors are true, a RWD based platform will result in longitudinal engine position and in these designs with Ford, the waterpump is always on the outside.

Exactly!!

But Peter you do not drive that much :)
I really love LED headlight conversion kits.

Brian
Yes that's true but much of the driving was on unlit country roads to get to the 417 to drive into Ottawa for hockey games..

Peter

Don't all EcoBoost engines have internal water pumps regardless of whether it's mounted transverse or not?

Don't all EcoBoost engines have internal water pumps regardless of whether it's mounted transverse or not?

Only the transversly mounted ones on the FWD based vehicles due to packaging limitations. I only heard about internal waterpumps for the V6. I'm not sure about the 4 cylinder motors. As for the other models like the F150, the waterpump is thankfully outside.

Only the transversly mounted ones on the FWD based vehicles due to packaging limitations. I only heard about internal waterpumps for the V6. I'm not sure about the 4 cylinder motors. As for the other models like the F150, the waterpump is thankfully outside..

Thanks. I was curious about the F150. It was confusing because when I google for "f150 ecoboost water pump" I was finding contradictory information. It seem as though some F150 owners mistakenly think its on the inside with the timing chain.

rear wheel drive with a transfer case that i can shift with a lever. ford is not making anything that i would except f-150 f-250. i have a stable of fords but not anything newer than my 2006 f-250.
roscoe

rear wheel drive with a transfer case that i can shift with a lever. ford is not making anything that i would except f-150 f-250. i have a stable of fords but not anything newer than my 2006 f-250.
roscoe
That may appear in the Bronco but I doubt given the success the Explorer is having in sales I doubt you'll see your desired transfer case in the Explorer. We'll like see in July or August when the scheduling begins. The Order Guide may be available before that.

Oh yeah! Definitely an external water pump! Hopefully no PTU problems either!
When Ford redesigns the Explorer, if the rumors are true, a RWD based platform will result in longitudinal engine position and in these designs with Ford, the water pump is always on the outside.

In addition to:
  • A better designed front end suspension that can handle at least mild off roading
  • No exhaust leaks into cabin
  • Conventional power steering with fluid, not electric
  • Paint issues eliminated on hood and elsewhere
  • All water leaks eliminated
  • Better overall QA/QC that would result in overall better build quality

In addition to:
  • A better designed front end suspension that can handle at least mild off roading
  • No exhaust leaks into cabin
  • Conventional power steering with fluid, not electric
  • Paint issues eliminated on hood and elsewhere
  • All water leaks eliminated
  • Better overall QA/QC that would result in overall better build quality

#1 and #3 aren't going to happen, the rest might.

Just remake the 2nd Gen with a coilover suspension, 5.0L Ti-VCT or 3.5L Ecoboost for powertrain, rwd or selectable 2wd/4low/4high for the drivetrain.

There, Done.

:smokin:

#1 and #3 aren't going to happen, the rest might.

I agree. A McPherson strut just doesn't provide any good clearance or durability. Great handling characteristics though, and I'm fine with that personally.

Conventional power steering has more feel but over time, it gets a little loose and the amount of power it saps from the engine just isn't worth it.

Conventional power steering has more feel but over time, it gets a little loose and the amount of power it saps from the engine just isn't worth it.

After owning several cars with conventional power steering and understanding that it can get loose over time, I have never lost power steering in any of those vehicles while driving them, so long as the engine was running. After reading the thread "2011-2015 Explorer Power Steering Issue", in addition to the thread "Power Steering Recall - Ford Refuses to Service", I'm now questioning the reliability of the electric power steering mechanism in the Explorer. If I'm driving it, more than likely I could get the car to a safe stop, but not so sure what would happen if my wife or someone with little experience was driving it.

would like to see body on frame two door with two more doors suicide like supercab engines in line with body a transfer case that the owner can control no computer.

would like to see body on frame two door with two more doors suicide like supercab engines in line with body a transfer case that the owner can control no computer.
That might be nice for a few folks but not the majority. That is why Ford moved the Explorer to what it is today. The new Bronco might be closer to what you want.

maybe ford ought to look back to when the explorer was number 1 in sales

Like Peter said, what you are wanting is not what 95% of the buying public wants today. I'm pretty sure the sales numbers on the current Explorer are still stong.

You're like Santa. :D How accurate would you say these "predictions" are? I was really hoping for the RWD based + 10 speed due to the fact that the police use the Explorer and because of this, that and the power bottleneck of FWD. Either way, I can go to bed happy. 2020MY is probably the time I'll upgrade. I hope they don't phase in the goodies like they did with the F-150.

I would like to see a RWD and 10 speed as well. I think that could lead them to producing either a V8 high performance model or at least a 450+ ecoboost version.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely need the footwell reworked, I love the truck but it kills me that on anything over a 30 minute drive I have nowhere to put my left foot. My 200K single cab work ranger is somehow more comfortable for long rides even though the ac cuts in when it feels like it. Thinking of upgrading to a new F-150 to defeat this.

Back