bigred4x4

Off-road enthusiast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
chesapeake virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt 4x4
Ok so at first I had a ghost window that would roll down by itself(driver window) and trying the button to roll it down would cause the 4wd lights too blink sporadically as the window would roll down little by little I replaced the the accessory delay relay and the battery saver relay which seemed to clear up the problem mostly for about a week now the 4wd lights flash six times and sometimes go crazy with clicking coming from inside dash also hear a lot of clicKing when I first start the vehicle my abs light came on for a drive and hasn't come back since Iv checked all connections and there are no fuses blowing it was intermittent at first and within a week now it is constant and I can't figure it out the only thing it's doing now is no 4wd (flashing lights) and funky driver window ANY IDEAS!!!??? Another weird thing I might add is the no seat belt chime came on while I was wearing my seat belt and that chime has never worked since I've had the truck (10 years) it's a 96 xlt 4wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like another GEM going south. A few other members had this issue recently. GEM controls windows, 4x4, wipers....other things too. Best bet is to find one in a pick and pull from a 96, that matches the code on yours. Maybe a 95 would work but certainly not a 97. The GEM is to the left of the radio when you remove it.

From the research Iv done that's what I'm thinking I'm gOing to try and replace the gem and probably the Tod relay and tc shift relay, And go from there. I will post back with results.....maybe a few days or more.

Does any body know if I'll lose my keyless entry and remote entry functions by replacing the gem as far as codes for key pad and transmitter communication

Nope - those codes are stored in the RAP module, not the GEM.

Ok so I've been doing some trouble shooting until I can get my hands on a gem I tested all of the fuses for power all checked out except fuse 28 on interior panel which reads just over three volts on one side and dead on the other manual says it is for memory seats and gem what would cause this? Also I got it to shift into 4 auto but did nothing in 4lo then it went back to flashing and not working at all the more I messed with it and thanks for the info on the rap module found a cool write up on here on how to retrieve factory code and programming key fobs without tools pretty neat !

I also might add that when I located the gem to get an idea of what it looked , like I noticed condensation build up on panel behind it guessing because of the ac duct running right over top of it maybe this could cause some issues.

Handle the GEM carefully, looking for evidence that water got inside. If you have a leak there and water is getting in, a replacement might fail due to the same problem.

Maybe your duct needs a break patched, or some insulation throw around it there, or the GEM protected in a plastic bag before mounting it, or popped open and coated with conformal coating on the circuit board and silicone dielectric grease around the connectors to try to waterproof it, or a combination of remedy attempts.

I don't know what to make of your fuse, pull it out to see if it's blown. Otherwise I don't see any way that one side could read 3V and the other, nothing, and the only idea I have about how it could read that is if the GEM had a short circuit in it that blew the fuse and is backfeeding 3V from another circuit it's connected to, out through its primary power feed. If that is the case, unplugging the GEM should remove the 3V.

If you feel in a destructive mood, it would be interesting to see a good picture of what the inside of yours looks like, or maybe they snap apart non-destructively, I don't know but suspect that they might.

Well the funny thing Is the fuse was not blown and I couldn't get a reading of the exposed terminals on top of the fuse could only get voltage by sticking probe into the slot when I get a new gem I will post pictures of old one torn apart and installation of new one and waterproofing is a good idea I'll post that too when I'm done with the final install have had intermittent problems for awhile I'm thinking that condensation from constantly running ac in this humid weather lately might of killed it finally

Ok so I pulled out the gem to get the number took it apart and noticed a burned looking section on the board tried to clean it and clean connections also pulled the shift relay which had some corrosion on the pins put it back together and crossed my fingers but still no 4wd but every thing else seemed to work (for now) I'll be getting the new gem on Monday and will update

I have pictures but have never posted pictures here before how do you do that?

Go to an image hosting site like www.imgur.com

Click the green "New Post" button

Browse or Drag your images into the box

Right click on the uploaded image on the new page, and Copy Image Location - This wording or other imgur features vary by browser

Back on this forum, click the Image icon above the posting window
7RBJFaq.png

Paste the Image Location in the box. Done.

There is also an imgur Apple and Android app, but I've never used them.
http://imgur.com/apps

Also, if you want to be sure your GEM is working perfectly download forscan software (free). It works great with the 96. It gives access to all modules. You will be able to see all the GEM data (there is lots of it!)

Update! Just received and installed gem and still no 4wd nothing has changed except maybe the power window problem funny thing Is on the drive to the mailbox I was able to get it to go in 4 auto but not 4 lo so I guess I'm gOing to pull the sensors and shift motor I tried for scan "bad Chinese clone elm327 detected " so going to have to get another connector when it starts after resetting the module it clicks slowly 4/5 times then the 4wd lights start flashing then flash as soon as the key is turned after that

Pulled shift motor worked "sensor" back and forth since it's a non serviceable sealed unit and could not clean contacts beat on the motor a little and cleaned hall sensors that did have a decent amount of metal sludge on it put it back together reset the computer and .....well it works I'll see how long it last Will update!

Back