Hood Struts ?? | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Struts ??

That would buy me a ton of broom sticks lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ordered mine today! (in black)

Looks like 9 of the black hood struts have been ordered and only one of the stainless steel ............... I guess I'm the odd ball with the Stainless. I spoke to Redline and my strut is boxed and will be picked up tomorrow.

Now who will do the first review of the hood struts?

I'm going to wait to hear some real world reports. I can't imagine anything being off but you never know.

Let us know how they work and let's see some pictures.

It looks like the struts will be delivered tomorrow, I'll post install pics.

As mentioned, those are the final costs in Canadian dollars based on the $139.95 Elite model.

Peter
Okay. I ordered the black ones. Thanks.

I just received mine today. Easy install, took 20 minutes or so, most of that time was looking for my trim tool. Now I have to get used to closing the hood since it doesn't slam down. The passenger side comes close to several small rubber hoses (I think they are the washer fluid lines)

The struts are thin, I hope they last the test of time.

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0896.JPG

Ok, I'm not first but I just installed my set. These are the black ones.
Install took 15 minutes, the directions are pretty good. Here are pics of the process. You will need a 17mm and 13mm socket, trim remover or cat law tool and a razor blade.

Edit: I removed the existing prop, probably not a good idea but I removed it any way. As noted by Platinum above you can't slam the hood shut any more but not a big issue for me.

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

IMG_1441.JPG

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

Note: I installed the struts upside down! D'oh! I fixed them them the next day after the owner of Redline contacted me about my error. That's what I call service!

Install took 15 minutes, the directions are pretty good. Here are pics of the process. You will need a 17mm and 13mm socket, trim remover or cat law tool and a razor blade.

Edit: I removed the existing prop, probably not a good idea but I removed it any way. As noted by Platinum above you can't slam the hood shut any more but not a big issue for me.

View attachment 98122

View attachment 98124

View attachment 98125

View attachment 98127

View attachment 98129

View attachment 98130

View attachment 98131

View attachment 98132

View attachment 98133

View attachment 98134

What's the silver canister in the last picture next to your new hood strut.

What's the silver canister in the last picture next to your new hood strut.

That's my oil catch can, its a JLT brand. It catches residue before it goes into the turbos. I empty it out every 2500 miles or so. Is it necessary? That's debatable but I fell better with it installed.

That's my oil catch can, its a JLT brand. It catches residue before it goes into the turbos. I empty it out every 2500 miles or so. Is it necessary? That's debatable but I fell better with it installed.
Very cool. I was thinking of doing the same thing at one time. I'd like to see the write up on that one. Did you have to tap into both intake tubes going to the turbos?

Very cool. I was thinking of doing the same thing at one time. I'd like to see the write up on that one. Did you have to tap into both intake tubes going to the turbos?

I pics of my installed can here:
www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-jlt-oil-separator.404902/page-3

Took about 20 minutes. Note, I wound up enlarging the hole on the supplied bracket as it sits too tall and hit the hood liner. I made a hole the same size immediately above the hole that came with it using a step but, took 5 minutes. That moved enough so the hood clears it fine.

View attachment 98134

I hate to be that guy but I think you installed them upside down. The gas cylinder is supposed to be at the top, connected to the hood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay. I did not have a smooth install. I'm pretty handy and just couldn't get these to install correctly. When trying to install the strut to the bracket, I couldn't get the thin end (non-cylinder) to snap into place. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, but had no problem snapping the other side in. I had the same troubles with the second strut.

I tried to force it onto the ball joint and bent the metal clip inside. I'll have to email Redline for a replacement. Thankfully they just unscrew from the strut so should be a simple replacement.

Back