PTU Problems | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

grey oil = needs new PTU, black oil = change oil if you want.

Grey means the insides are being chewed up.
The oil gets dark in these very quickly, unless you change it out every oil change from new its going to be black, once every 20K or so should keep it looking slightly less dark. I just loosen the drain plug and let a few drip outs into a cup once in a while to see how it looks and stick my finger over the drain hole to keep it from leaking then inspect the magnet on the drain plug and clean it. I wouldn't drain more than half a teaspoon at most since they don't hold much fluid to begin with.

Well, you can add me to the list with a bad PTU. 2014 Limited with 23000 miles. I bought it with a branded title. The dealership wants $2000 to replace it.

Well, you can add me to the list with a bad PTU. 2014 Limited with 23000 miles. I bought it with a branded title. The dealership wants $2000 to replace it.
Welcome to the Forum Herb.:wave:
Sorry t o hear about your issue with the PTU. That seems to be a very unusually low mileage for a failed PTU. Are you sure it isn't just leaking seals? One small consolation would be that if the dealer replaces it you will have a 24 month unlimited mileage warranty on parts and labour.

Peter

The seal is certainly bad, but the grease/oil is grey and looks like the PTU will go bad even if the seal is fixed.

The seal is certainly bad, but the grease/oil is grey and looks like the PTU will go bad even if the seal is fixed.
May as well go for the replacement in that case. I wonder why it 'went' so soon. Could it be related to the reason it was issued a "branded title"?

wasn't supposed to be, but who knows. Pretty upset with myself and the car at the moment.

I have a 2012 Explorer with 80,0000 miles. I bought it to the dealer for my 'Works Package' and was advised the PTU was not serviceable. I asked my independent mechanic and he was unable to replace the gear oil.

It is s
I have a 2012 Explorer with 80,0000 miles. I bought it to the dealer for my 'Works Package' and was advised the PTU was not serviceable. I asked my independent mechanic and he was unable to replace the gear oil.
It is serviceable. I posted a thread on here that detailed how. Do a search. Essentially, you use a Mity Vac to suction out the old fluid through the fill hole.

It is s

It is serviceable. I posted a thread on here that detailed how. Do a search. Essentially, you use a Mity Vac to suction out the old fluid through the fill hole.
If that is the case, could the seal be replaced on the PTU and keep replacing the grease?

If that is the case, could the seal be replaced on the PTU and keep replacing the grease?
False economy. A significant part of your $2,000 quote is labor. I doubt they would only replace the seal, but if they could, you'd still be looking at $1,200 - $1,500 since the labor is the same effort to remove the unit, and reinstall.

Your fluid is gray. You are on borrowed time. The PTU is $700. Find an independent shop and you can probably save a few hundred $.

The engineering of this part is incredibly poor, and the heat stress on it is high.

My 2014 Limited 3.5 with 44k miles went to the dealer today. I suspected the PTU based on the leakage and thread here. Yep, they confirmed it and replacing the PTU under the powertrain warranty. I should get it back tomorrow as they had to order in the part.

Welcome to the Forum Walt.:wave:

Peter

Isn't the PTU covered by the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty?

Just wondering why Herb was going to have to pay around $2,000 if it's under warranty?
I can only guess that perhaps no one thought to check on that. It actually didn't ring a bell this time with me until I read your post. Not sure why I didn't catch it.

Peter

I can only guess that perhaps no one thought to check on that. It actually didn't ring a bell this time with me until I read your post. Not sure why I didn't catch it.

Peter
I have those senior moments also Peter lol. It's apparent the dealership didn't bother to tell him he is was covered,sounds like trying to make some extra cash for the service dept.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2016 Explorer Platinum. The PTU exploded (literally) while travelling on the highway at 65 mph. Ford fixed the PTU, but now the vehicle shudders in 6th gear at about 65 mph under load. I've had it back to the dealer 10 times now. They still cannot identify the issue. It did this shudder twice right before the PTU blew. Happened on 4/1/17 and its now 8/24/17 and still not fixed. And it still smells horrible inside the cabin. I can't remove the odor. This all occurred at 24k miles. Anyone ever heard of this before?

Back