Questions on towing with my AWD 2010 Ford Adrenalin | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions on towing with my AWD 2010 Ford Adrenalin

Replayman

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2010 AWD Adrenalin with the class lll/lV tow hitch. I would like to tow my race car occasionally to and from the track. But I recently went on the Uhaul website and they don't rent any car carriers to any Ford Explorers...due to past "legal incidents".
So this leads me to think, is my car capable? I was thinking of adding an aux trans oil cooler and also a larger capacity trans. oil pan to be on the safe side.
Any thoughts, suggestions? Can anybody recommend a cooler or pan? Has anybody had good/bad experience towing? I was wondering if the AWD system is good or bad for towing?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The AWD system and 4x4 system are the exact same, the difference is strictly marketing. Our vehicles are more than capable of towing, just do a search on the subject. I towed a 18' camper from Salt Lake to Yellowstone. Just make sure you leave the overdrive off and do yourself a favor and buy a trailer brake controller to save your brakes. Call the Uhaul directly, I'm sure the website has outdated information from the early 2000s Firestone/Ford fiasco.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

A STA with the V8 should have almost a 9000 lb tow rating. I always tell the guys at u haul that i drive a f150 for the same reason. The desk jockies dont care. And the guys hooking you up dont know any better.

almost...it is sad though that the second Gens weren't excluded from their towing bans.
http://prntscr.com/fwp2pg
fwp2pg

A STA with the V8 should have almost a 9000 lb tow rating. I always tell the guys at u haul that i drive a f150 for the same reason. The desk jockies dont care. And the guys hooking you up dont know any better.
If by close to 9,000, you mean 7,120 you're correct. Being AWD his max is looking like 6,990.

What's your race car weigh? How far is the track? Frequency? You're ST might very well be up to it. I wouldn't be concerned with the u-haul issue, it's about liability, and not capability.

I was so depressed when I ran into this issue last year. I ended up having a friend with their truck pick up the Uhaul trailer, as when I called the desk to ask, they said no deal, no matter what. I returned with it attached to my Adrenalin, no hassle, especially returning after hours. I have hauled my 1984 rx7 with Uhaul trailer with no issue for hours on the road. I now own my own trailer/brake booster/weight distribution kit (FYI, do yourself a favor and get the weight distribution kit to save your rear suspension, and give yourself more towing capacity!).

Back