2017 brake light replacement

jpz

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsburg PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
Hey all,

We have a 2017 XLT, and I noticed today that the passenger brake light is out. I took off the light assembly, but was a little taken back when there was not bulb to replace. It looked like an entire assembly. I looked in the manual, and it says this can only be serviced/replaced by Ford.

Any thoughts? Any replace this on their own? Any clue where to buy the assembly?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all,

We have a 2017 XLT, and I noticed today that the passenger brake light is out. I took off the light assembly, but was a little taken back when there was not bulb to replace. It looked like an entire assembly. I looked in the manual, and it says this can only be serviced/replaced by Ford.

Any thoughts? Any replace this on their own? Any clue where to buy the assembly?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you out of warranty already? This should be covered by the 3 year, 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty.
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=tail light

Peter

Peterk, no still under warranty. Thanks. I will call the dealership tomorrow.

Called Ford today, and they confirmed that this is covered by the warranty. Taking it in on Monday to have it replaced. Thanks again for the information.

Called Ford today, and they confirmed that this is covered by the warranty. Taking it in on Monday to have it replaced. Thanks again for the information.
Glad I could be of assistance.

Peter

Thats the challenge with these new style LED rear lights, there is no single bulb to burn out (Benefit) but when they go it's usually the whole assemble.. (Costly)..

the good news though, is that the assemblies are usually solid state, and can be "fixed" with someone with a bit of electronics background.. I suspect there will be quite a "market" for trade-in/replace assemblies for people looking to fix them.. that or something like the local phone screen fixing stores.. bring it in, open er up, solder/replace components and away you go.

Had mine replaced the first week. Dealer said it would have been $700 us

Had mine replaced the first week. Dealer said it would have been $700 us
The price has come down substantially now. In the range of $323 to $480.

Peter

still. what amounts to less than $30 in electronics. that's a steep price to pay.

Hi, i want to change mine, it is a 2015, and i dis not see a bulb, it is like the bulb is inside the light housing, somebody knows how to change it?

Thanks

Hi, i want to change mine, it is a 2015, and i dis not see a bulb, it is like the bulb is inside the light housing, somebody knows how to change it?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Check your Owner's Manual. On page 338 of the 2nd printing is shows this;
Replacing tail/brake lamp bulbs
For bulb replacement, see your authorized dealer.

Peter

Back