• Register Today It's free!

fuel system problem?

1mounty

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 mercury mountaineer
i have a 97 mountaineer. Every time i go on a long car ride and stop at a stop sign, stop light, gas station and etc... i come to a stop and it starts running rough and acts like it wants to die. it has not died on me yet but it comes close. then when i try to go it hesitates to go or it slowly starts to go and after like 3 or 4 seconds it takes off. Any idea what it could be all that is done to it is its straight piped with a Y but i wouldnt think that would be it.

also sometimes when i come to a stop and have the steering wheel to the left the front brakes like grab really bad or does something funky. i thinks its a bad sensor and wondering if i could clean it or i have to buy a whole new?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your EGR valve operation. EGR should not be open at idle; if it does it cause those symptoms. Good luck.

Are you sure it's the brakes grabbing and not the front driveline binding (if you have 4WD, that is)?

Are you sure it's the brakes grabbing and not the front driveline binding (if you have 4WD, that is)?

Could be it not entirely sure how could I check it out and it's awd

Check your EGR valve operation. EGR should not be open at idle; if it does it cause those symptoms. Good luck.
Could it maybe be the MAF also? And if so which would be the easiest to check out first?

Check fuel psi at the rail when engine is warm, ide should be 30+ psi, little engine Rev...if it drops below 30 then you need a new pump, if it's original then it's the pump!

Clean your IAC valve

I think it is sticking, here is a how to. Pay attention to the plunger rod inside, and look closely at it. Use a small needle nose pliers to move the rod back and forth, spray a little cleaner and do again until it feels freed up. There is a small rubber seal that needs to be pretty clean of soot also. Not fully explained in the how to.Be sure not to put it on backwards.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-iac-valve-cleaning-thread-w-pics.84220/

Op doesn't mention CEL or codes. Definitely something to check out.

Back