Livernois tune experience | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Livernois tune experience

did any of you guys did a before and after dyno?
I'm interested in a tune for a 2016 NA,3.5 and have asked them for a dyno graphs of their various octane tune to see the HP and TQ curves compared to stock.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did any of you guys did a before and after dyno?
I'm interested in a tune for a 2016 NA,3.5 and have asked them for a dyno graphs of their various octane tune to see the HP and TQ curves compared to stock.

I didn't, but Livernois has no shortage of videos of EcoBoost 3.5L engines before and after tune. Here's someone's 16 Explorer Sport with CAI, exhaust, plugs, thermostat, 3bar MAP, tune:

+105rwhp, +105 rwtq

Lol same thing here. This thing squats and goes! A neighbor has a new Grand Cherokee SRT, would love to see how the 3-row Ford does against a 500hp Chrysler... besides drinking all the fuel in the world.

It would be significantly closer, but the SRT should still pull a tuned Ex Sport. They run low 4.4 0-60's stock and a 13 flat quarter mile. The fastest I have seen for tuned Ex Sports is 4.5ish 0-60 and mid 13's in the quarter mile. If you have all the bolt on's in the video above it should be neck and neck.

Installed the Livernois tune package over the last few days (Windstorm CAI, Evenflo 160 degree thermostat) and today I received and loaded the 87 octane (that's what I had in the tank) performance tune and 3-bar MAF sensor. VERY happy with the results. Acceleration was smooth as silk. Sport mode was noticeably more powerful. As promoted by Livernois, shifting was much quicker and more solid. The "hard shift" mentioned in previous posts was only noticed one time during an hour of so of driving and occurred only when I slammed the pedal down to WOT when some fool though he was going to pass me at a high rate of speed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WRONG. The shift was merely super quick and solid, feeling like a bump- not a big deal. As Livernois stated when I received the tune file, this behavior is expected initially and mellows and the transmission learns my driving habits. In Sport mode the engine braking/ downshifting was definitely more noticeable (a good thing). I love the audible inhale of the engine from the Windstorm CAI. Installation on everything was a breeze. The CAI is straightforward. As mentioned in other posts, buy a gallon or the orange pre-mixed antifreeze prior to the thermostat swap- I lost almost that much during the the swap. MAF sensor takes minutes to swap.
REALLY looking forward to upgrading to 93 octane and swapping tune files. Not looking forward to the guilt of driving like a jerk until the novelty wears off! Will update post with impressions of the big daddy tune file.

Installed the Livernois tune package over the last few days (Windstorm CAI, Evenflo 160 degree thermostat) and today I received and loaded the 87 octane (that's what I had in the tank) performance tune and 3-bar MAF sensor. VERY happy with the results. Acceleration was smooth as silk. Sport mode was noticeably more powerful. As promoted by Livernois, shifting was much quicker and more solid. The "hard shift" mentioned in previous posts was only noticed one time during an hour of so of driving and occurred only when I slammed the pedal down to WOT when some fool though he was going to pass me at a high rate of speed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WRONG. The shift was merely super quick and solid, feeling like a bump- not a big deal. As Livernois stated when I received the tune file, this behavior is expected initially and mellows and the transmission learns my driving habits. In Sport mode the engine braking/ downshifting was definitely more noticeable (a good thing). I love the audible inhale of the engine from the Windstorm CAI. Installation on everything was a breeze. The CAI is straightforward. As mentioned in other posts, buy a gallon or the orange pre-mixed antifreeze prior to the thermostat swap- I lost almost that much during the the swap. MAF sensor takes minutes to swap.
REALLY looking forward to upgrading to 93 octane and swapping tune files. Not looking forward to the guilt of driving like a jerk until the novelty wears off! Will update post with impressions of the big daddy tune file.

Nice review. I feel the same about mine. Any plans of installing a downpipe? You should if you haven't. It's quite pleasant.

Nice review. I feel the same about mine. Any plans of installing a downpipe? You should if you haven't. It's quite pleasant.
Given my obsession with the xSport, I'm sure it's just a matter of time. You went with downpipe, but maintained factory cat back, correct? I assume it changed the exhaust note? Do you know if it added any power benefits or did you install at the same time with the rest of the Livernois package making it difficult to discern?

Given my obsession with the xSport, I'm sure it's just a matter of time. You went with downpipe, but maintained factory cat back, correct? I assume it changed the exhaust note? Do you know if it added any power benefits or did you install at the same time with the rest of the Livernois package making it difficult to discern?

Original exhaust with Thunderstorm downpipe. Nice little tone on start up and low tone afterwards. Nice tone when you punch the gas as well.

As for the power, I installed the entire package at the same time; Tune, 3 Bar Map Sensor, Windstorm CAI and Downpipes. I can feel the difference immediately as you described it. I haven't taken it out on a track yet but intend to do so soon at the Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, WI just outside of Milwaukee, WI and an hour and a half from me. However, according to Matt at @Livernois, with the set up that I have, I will get about +110HP and +100 WTQ. It's also the same exact set up as @ken60631 has and he ran a quarter mile at 13.506 seconds at 101.44 mph. I'm new to this sort of modding (was a serious ****** bag of a ricer in my twenties LOL) but am mature enough to appreciate what I have and am excited to see what it can really do.

In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying being a ****** bag around town and racing all sorts of cars in between stop lights. I've so far taken on about 2 dozen cars including ricers and have beaten them all (for about 2 or 3 lights). And on the highway, I love it when cars try to pass me and I smoke them when they try except for a Dodge Durango SRT. He passed me, I overtook him and then he matched up with me and I kept up with him speed for speed for about 5 miles then I had to slow down. He gave me a thumbs up as he kept driving though so I thought that was pretty cool :p

"And on the highway, I love it when cars try to pass me and I smoke them when they try "
Are you serious??????????
So you are one of those a%&ole that step on the gas when you try to pass them????

"And on the highway, I love it when cars try to pass me and I smoke them when they try "
Are you serious??????????
So you are one of those a%&ole that step on the gas when you try to pass them????

What?! Of course you step on the gas when you try to pass them?! What's your point?! I'm merely sharing a story about how I admittingly have been driving like a douchebag lately since my car is all tuned. Are you trying to insult or make fun of me?! Have you read any other of the threads I've been contributing to?! JHC

What?! Of course you step on the gas when you try to pass them?! What's your point?! I'm merely sharing a story about how I admittingly have been driving like a douchebag lately since my car is all tuned. Are you trying to insult or make fun of me?! Have you read any other of the threads I've been contributing to?! JHC
lmao...he must be one of those drivers who switches lanes doing the same speed when passing

So who has the down pipes in addition to the fatback? Is it worth the additional cost, dyno, seat of pants?
That could be next purchase. Installed cat back and performance springs, this thing is a beast. May lose slightly to Jeep SRT (had one), but seats more and I am getting almost 26mpg on highway and 21+average. Got about 9 city with Jeep.

anyone familiar with the JMS Chip for a tune?

I get 14.4mpg. But I have to say, I do push it towards it's limit just about every day for the past 365 days. My previously tuned (not Livernois) Flex lasted only 6 months before transfer case fell apart and gear slippage.
I am being diligent about using all synthetic fluids and detergent gasoline with my xsport.

anyone familiar with the JMS Chip for a tune?

I have never heard of it and I think you're first to bring it up here. Whats it's about?

Most seem to migrate to Livernois given that they are a brick and mortar business with good tech support.

The only ONE time I know anyone using the JMS chip was on a 2015 Ecoboost Mustang. The motor let go while on a roadcourse... enough said for me. I did the Livernois tune on my 2015 Mustang, with 350hp and 375lbft (from a 4-banger), VERY happy with results!

Hi all. The OP on this thread made the following statement in his first post after installing his tune. "I hope the "turn bog" is gone"

What is the turn bog he speaks of, because it sounds an awful lot like a problem I am having with my Explorer.

Thanks in advance

Hi all. The OP on this thread made the following statement in his first post after installing his tune. "I hope the "turn bog" is gone"

What is the turn bog he speaks of, because it sounds an awful lot like a problem I am having with my Explorer.

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I have no idea what the OP was talking about. I run my bone stock.

Peter

Thanks for your reply. When coming out of turns, when I hit WOT, it sometimes stumbles for a second or two before getting power. The dealer has already replaced my Throttle body. Still could recreate the problem afterward. No indicator lights when this happens. On a hunch, I disabled traction control and over multiple wot launches, coming out of turns I have been unable to recreate the issue. Upon re-enabling traction control I was able to recreate the issue almost immediately. I was wondering if this is the "turn bog" he speaks of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for your reply. When coming out of turns, when I hit WOT, it sometimes stumbles for a second or two before getting power. The dealer has already replaced my Throttle body. Still could recreate the problem afterward. No indicator lights when this happens. On a hunch, I disabled traction control and over multiple wot launches, coming out of turns I have been unable to recreate the issue. Upon re-enabling traction control I was able to recreate the issue almost immediately. I was wondering if this is the "turn bog" he speaks of.
I guess it could well be especially if the 'issue' goes away when you turn TC off. Never occurred to me that might be it. The Explorer also has Curve Control which operates by reducing engine power and, if necessary, applying brakes to one or more of the wheels individually.

Peter

Back