Power Steering Assist Failure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Assist Failure

Should Ford pay for cost of PSA failure?

• Total voters

Frank from Valpo

Reaction score
City, State
Valparaiso
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
My Powering Steering Assist (PSA) went out while driving my Ford Explorer XLT. Got it to the dealer and though the diagnostics indicated a failed electronic component in the power steering box, they said I have to pay nearly $2000 (material plus labor) to replace the entire drive train because it's not covered under 5 year warranty and that box is built into the drive train, They said I must have hit a pothole. Anyone have similar problem?
I believe this was poor design by Ford that is causing a public safety issue. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Frank.:wave:
Are you sure they said they have to replace the entire drive train? That doesn't seem to be right. Many members have steering failure which required replacing the steering rack but not the drive train. Take a look at this thread and see if that is similar to what you ae experiencing; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...11-2015-explorer-power-steering-issue.320445/
Are no longer under the factory 3 year, 36k mile warranty?
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/question-on-steering-recall.429672/

Peter

Pricing at dealerships is around $1,800 installed. I think you misunderstood or they used the wrong term. The steering rack is inside the vehicle under the dash (steering wheel is connected to it). It is not part of the drivetrain.

did they give you a written quote with a breakdown of the prices?

How many miles? How many months old? What components do they say need replaced?

My 2011 exhibited all the signs of a failing power rack. After a TSB reprogram, it locked up again, then drove fine. IT was well out of warranty. They refused to do anything more - said there were no codes present. Ended up trading it off.

Back