Front bumper snap on tow cap replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front bumper snap on tow cap replacement

Flashalexb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
So I took my 2011 Ford Explorer through the car wash and when I got home, I noticed the small 1 inch circular cap in the front bumper that covers the emergency tow hook insert is missing.

What's the best way to go about replacing this? The dealer wants $100 but I feel like that's a lot for a small plastic piece. Granted it will probably need to be painted. My explorer is Kona Blue.

Are there any websites where I can order this small circular cap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I took my 2011 Ford Explorer through the car wash and when I got home, I noticed the small 1 inch circular cap in the front bumper that covers the emergency tow hook insert is missing.

What's the best way to go about replacing this? The dealer wants $100 but I feel like that's a lot for a small plastic piece. Granted it will probably need to be painted. My explorer is Kona Blue.

Are there any websites where I can order this small circular cap?
The part you are looking for is 17A900, Front Bumper Cover, Trim Cap.
You are correct in that it has to be painted to match.
FordParts.com does not show a price but a Ford Wholesale site shows it as $23.65. I assume with painting charges you will be close to that $100 mark.

http://www.wholesalefordparts.com/s...odel=20107&modelYear=2011&ukey_category=29434

Did you call the car wash place to see if they might have it?
God luck.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I went back to the car wash immediately after and the next day. No luck.

The part is so small, I bet I could get a small thing of touch up paint and attempt to paint it myself. Worst case scenario, the dealer has to sand it down and repaint it themselves. Thoughts?

Thanks Peter. I went back to the car wash immediately after and the next day. No luck.

The part is so small, I bet I could get a small thing of touch up paint and attempt to paint it myself. Worst case scenario, the dealer has to sand it down and repaint it themselves. Thoughts?
I think you would likely be better off with a small spray can if it is available. Don't know if anyone would notice if you didn't clearcoat it. I picked up one of those touch-up pens but I don't know if I'd want to use that for this purpose. If you can get it for the price quoted on that one site, you could always get a second one if the first doesn't turn out.
I'm actually surprised that it fell out at a car wash. The cover seems to be in there fairly tight.
I had a faulty front right sensor replaced on mine and it had to painted at the body shop. Not sure what the cost was since it was done under warranty.

Peter

I wonder if my warranty will cover it. Worth a shot

This happened to me, too.

Peter, thanks for the link but I am going to ask my dealer if he'll cover it under warranty at my upcoming oil change.

A similar problem happened on my Corvette (C5) in that when the pop-up headlights are up, there is a plastic plug on the side of the headlight to access the motor adjustment for the headlight. The plug fell out of my passenger side headlight. GM issued is TSB to replace the plug under warranty (GM Service Bulletin No.: 990842005, NHTSA ID Number: 607587).

$100 painted is pretty steep....

Did a search but just came up with threads for the cover for the tow hitch.

So, one day a few weeks ago, I see the little round cover over the front tow eye socket is missing. I didn't hit anything. It was there at lunch, and not there later in the day.

So I go looking on the parts fiche. I know I will have to paint the replacement. I'm expecting around $5 or $10 for a 2 cent plastic part, just because Ford can.

I think the part number I'm seeing 17A900 is just the little plastic disc. And it's priced at $51.35!!!

Anyone bought one of these? Am I reading correctly? If so, I'm thinking some scumbag saw the same pricing and decided to steal mine rather than buy their own.

So I call the local dealership. They say $19. Well, that's a great deal......

And of course it's an unpainted part, so I have to find a way to paint it to match. Wonder if Ford has aerosol cans of body paint. A paint tube really is not the way to go with something that big.

It sure sounds like someone stole yours!
try ebay/Craigslist, ford, steal one (no)

Did a search but just came up with threads for the cover for the tow hitch.

So, one day a few weeks ago, I see the little round cover over the front tow eye socket is missing. I didn't hit anything. It was there at lunch, and not there later in the day.

So I go looking on the parts fiche. I know I will have to paint the replacement. I'm expecting around $5 or $10 for a 2 cent plastic part, just because Ford can.

I think the part number I'm seeing 17A900 is just the little plastic disc. And it's priced at $51.35!!!

Anyone bought one of these? Am I reading correctly? If so, I'm thinking some scumbag saw the same pricing and decided to steal mine rather than buy their own.
Searched on "tow hook cover" and found this thread.

Peter

Check with your local auto paint supplier. Many place will make it up for aerosol can use in both base coat and clear coat. They can also add flex additive for bumpers. Some.places also sell online. Not sure if DupliColor has what you need at local auto parts store

Back