2018 Explorer | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer

If that's the case then I need to find a suitable aftermarket version. The one that quite a few people here have recommended isn't even an Explorer proprietary part so I found out. It's a generic protector that suppose to fit several vehicles. It looks too thick to me, plus the pictures show a pretty large gap and less than acceptable fit where the lip rolls over the edge.
Keep in mind that Sgt1411 said it "appears the new rear bumper protector may be integrated". Not sure why you just don't get the BMC one that several members have installed. Looking at the picture of them it appears there is plenty of room between it and the bottom of the liftgate. You can always try a "dry fit" first and if there are issues see if you can return it.
EDIT: the above post was posted while I was creating mine.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're talking about this one...
bumper-protector.jpg

It's definitely thicker than the very thin OEM protector, but I don't find it at all "too thick", nor do I have an issue with the fit against the bumper (pretty easy to self-install and get good results). As for protection, it does a great job for my needs where I'm moving gear in and out of my cargo area multiple times per week. It's also very good as a foot rest when my kid ties up her cleats.

That said, the integrated bumper protection of the previous generation Exs is far superior to this add-on.

Edit: Why does it matter if the bumper protector is proprietary to the Ex? If it fits (it does), and it does the job (it does), that's all that matters to me.

Yours appears to fit the lip better than all the sellers pictures I've seen. They usually show a gap where the lip of the protector rolls over the edge. They list it as fitting the 16-17 Explorer like it's custom made, but then when you check the model number it's the same one for Toyota Highlanders and quite a few other vehicles. I thought that's why it doesn't fit the curve of the bumper top well. Looks like it does on yours however.

Yours appears to fit the lip better than all the sellers pictures I've seen. They usually show a gap where the lip of the protector rolls over the edge. They list it as fitting the 16-17 Explorer like it's custom made, but then when you check the model number it's the same one for Toyota Highlanders and quite a few other vehicles. I thought that's why it doesn't fit the curve of the bumper top well. Looks like it does on yours however.
Just for clarification, the image I posted isn't my Ex. It's an image I grabbed from Google. However, mine looks exactly like that. Until you brought it up, I never would have known the bumper protector wasn't made especially for my model Ex. I'm very happy with the fit and the product.

Note the new headlight design for 2018, no more reflector for the Halogen high beams. They are also LED. I'm not sure if I like the new Platinum grill yet, I think I prefer the 16-17 design. I like how the rear bumper protector is now integrated in to the design.

Front
https://www.cstatic-images.com/stock/1170x1170/16/img429496137-1491871236316.jpg

Front, 2nd photo
http://lln5.mnmcdn.com/galleries/january2016/thumbnailsnew/2018-explorer-live-bw-1_1600.jpg

Side:
http://lln5.mnmcdn.com/galleries/january2016/thumbnailsnew/2018-explorer-live-bw-3_1600.jpg

Rear:
http://lln5.mnmcdn.com/galleries/january2016/thumbnailsnew/2018-explorer-live-bw-5_2560.jpg

To recap, it looks like the changes are as follows:

New headlight design(LED high beam)
New fog light design
No front camera washer
New front and rear bumper, re-located parking sensors
Quad exhaust tips
New grills
New Colors and Wheels
Sync Connect (Telematics Module + 4G Cellular Module)
Sync WiFi Hotspot

I do not see anything noted about stop & go cruise or autonomous braking on Ford's official site. I don't think that's happening because it would require the newer LIDAR module installed near the lane-keeping camera and is a larger unit like the Fusion. From photos, it looks like it hasn't changed.
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...v-growth-announces-2018-explorer-updates.html

I also didn't think there was a front camera washer but looking at it closely, Using the zoom feature on the computer it looks like the washer is integrated into the camera housing much like the rear one. It really wouldn't make sense to remove it. The 2018 looks to have them both integrated.

Peter

Looks like they are sticking with the crappy Hankooks as well on the Platinum. I do like the rear bumper cover but its a shame its fully integrated into the rear fascia. The rest of the back end looks like a cost savings exercise, no integrated tips, removal of the painted tow hitch cover and the cheesy quad tips. The front looks like they tried to emulate the Grand Cherokee Summit.

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-g...t-jeep-updates-grand-cherokee-summit-for-2017

^^ I'm sure the tires are based on CAFE/MPG ratings.

Any news about when the 2018 Explorer Order Guide will be available? I'm seriously considering ordering a 2018 Platinum on July 18 when they start accepting orders and would like to understand all the new features and options before I visit my dealership.

My wife is also interested to know what the new 2018 "Blue Metallic" paint looks like when compared to the 2016-2017 "Blue Jeans" color. I'm hoping the 2018 Explorer Order Guide will have paint codes for all the 2018 colors.

Upon second look at those wheels in the linked photos above, what a PITA they will be to clean. Wheel designers must never clean wheels! LOL :burnout:

I hope that's not an explorer. :O
It looks like some kind of Toyota Highlander/Cadillac hybrid. Ew.
Looking at the above link, the wheels look somewhat familiar.

Peter

2018 Ex.jpg

Looking at the above link, the wheels look somewhat familiar.

Peter

View attachment 98044
I don't know man...I'm pretty skeptical. Ford doesn't have a single model in their lineup with wheel well arches like that (all of them are round, not flat at the top). The grill looks very Cadillac-ish. I feel like with the all new redesign of the Expedition that Ford will be going in this direction design wise. Two other things that seem off also are the fog lights and side mirrors. Ford seems to be going away from round bulb-like fogs to not round types. I base this also off the new Expedition and the updated Mustang. The Mustang went from having round fogs to LED strip (2018). The mirrors are very sharp and angular, which is totally GM's thing.

UPDATE: if you read this person's post about his pictures, you'll see that it says his neighbor works for Ford Motor Company, but I think he got a new job at GM because that is definitely the new 2018 Traverse.

Here is the proof:

http://www.chevrolet.com/all-new-2018-traverse

I knew that looked too ugly to be a Ford. ;)

UPDATE: if you read this person's post about his pictures, you'll see that it says his neighbor works for Ford Motor Company, but I think he got a new job at GM because that is definitely the new 2018 Traverse.

Here is the proof:

Yep, DEFINITELY the Traverse.

The LED high beams appear to be a Platinum exclusive for 2018, Wi-Fi hotspot is also standard on the Platinum. Photos of the 2018 Explorer Sport show that it still has halogen high beams.

Here is the proof:

I think that the exterior looks ugly on that Traverse. I wish I can see more interior colors for Explorer. Maybe like a red or brown color leather and dash board would look awesome. Make the Navigation screen a little bigger, its been like this for almost 10 years. They need to update Sport instrumental cluster something much more cooler, more digital with better graphics. If not that, Ford should make a heads up display for this car. At highway speeds of 80 mph going into 65 mile speed limit, i don't feel the speed as it is so smooth but I don't want to be clicked by highway patrol going 85 miles per hour or more. Heads up display from Ford would be a very useful feature. I don't have the moon roof option on my current explorer because my older model Edge and Explorer XLT had trouble with moonroof getting stuck. Lubing the moon roof that required the car to stay at the dealership for 4 or 5 days and after getting stuck 3 times in a year, I refused to open a roof.
I would pick the moon roof option if they made the actual moonroof much bigger to open it up. Why the smaller Edge has a bigger moonroof then an Explorer, I don't understand.
I don't know if it for the safety or design purposes but I wish that the the moon roof was big enough when opened that the second seat passengers could enjoy it more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that the exterior looks ugly on that Traverse. I wish I can see more interior colors for Explorer. Maybe like a red or brown color leather and dash board would look awesome. Make the Navigation screen a little bigger, its been like this for almost 10 years. They need to update Sport instrumental cluster something much more cooler, more digital with better graphics. If not that, Ford should make a heads up display for this car. At highway speeds of 80 mph going into 65 mile speed limit, i don't feel the speed as it is so smooth but I don't want to be clicked by highway patrol going 85 miles per hour or more. Heads up display from Ford would be a very useful feature. I don't have the moon roof option on my current explorer because my older model Edge and Explorer XLT had trouble with moonroof getting stuck. Lubing the moon roof that required the car to stay at the dealership for 4 or 5 days and after getting stuck 3 times in a year, I refused to open a roof.
I would pick the moon roof option if they made the actual moonroof much bigger to open it up. Why the smaller Edge has a bigger moonroof then an Explorer, I don't understand.
I don't know if it for the safety or design purposes but I wish that the the moon roof was big enough when opened that the second seat passengers could enjoy it more.
I agree with all of this ^^^^ Hopefully when the redesign comes out, these things will be addressed. Its like they took the sunroof from the Edge and turned it around in the Explorer (larger pane is in the front and smaller pane in the back on the Edge). One thing that bothers me the most about the sunroof is the HUGE chunk of head liner that separates the front and back pane. It makes it look so much smaller. They should have done it like they did it on the F-150.

Back