Code P1450 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Code P1450

I'm experiencing this exact same issue. I checked the purge control valve just like the video shows and its not pulling any vacuum, it is closed while unplugged. What do I need to do or check next?? Please help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm experiencing this exact same issue. I checked the purge control valve just like the video shows and its not pulling any vacuum, it is closed while unplugged. What do I need to do or check next?? Please help!!

well I had the same problem on my 2013 ford explorer and I replaced the canister purge valve and it solved the problem that I had.

Thanks to all who post helpful information here. I have just purchased a 2013 Explorer Limited 2 1/2 weeks ago. It had a full tank of fuel when I left the dealer lot. Put gas in it about 4 days ago, and used 1/4 tank. Suddenly engine light came on. I had the code read at the local auto parts....p1450. Looked it up and found it is common. I bought the purge valve (FoMoCo) and easily replaced it in minutes. Now for my question...I live where there is a state emissions program and an engine light is an automatic fail. The light is still on and I cannot get the test or change over my license plates til I have the emissions test. Will the light go off on its own, and if so, how long might that take? Is it wise to have someone shut it off to go get the test done? I welcome comment...thanks. By the way, this is a beautiful vehicle!

Buy a $20. OBDII Wi-Fi adapter on Amazon and Download forscan. You can read codes with your phone and reset them.

It will probably go off on its own when the test re-executes successfully.

Be sure that you don't go in with an OBD not ready code (P1000) even after that code clears. To know if the P1000 is present, turn the ignition on but do not start the engine. If after 20 seconds or so the CEL remains on solid and is *not* flashing, the car is ready for emissions testing.

Thanks to all who post helpful information here. I have just purchased a 2013 Explorer Limited 2 1/2 weeks ago. It had a full tank of fuel when I left the dealer lot. Put gas in it about 4 days ago, and used 1/4 tank. Suddenly engine light came on. I had the code read at the local auto parts....p1450. Looked it up and found it is common. I bought the purge valve (FoMoCo) and easily replaced it in minutes. Now for my question...I live where there is a state emissions program and an engine light is an automatic fail. The light is still on and I cannot get the test or change over my license plates til I have the emissions test. Will the light go off on its own, and if so, how long might that take? Is it wise to have someone shut it off to go get the test done? I welcome comment...thanks. By the way, this is a beautiful vehicle!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Buy a $20. OBDII Wi-Fi adapter on Amazon and Download forscan. You can read codes with your phone and reset them.
Thanks, blwnsmoke.....sounds like a real good idea. I haven't owned a Ford in many years, hope that engine lights are not a problem of the breed,

sorry for repeating, not sure how to use site yet.

Drove about 80 miles this evening, stopping with shutoffs 3 times. CEL remains illuminated. Think I will try again tomorrow, as I saw someone said 100 miles or so.

Drove about 80 miles this evening, stopping with shutoffs 3 times. CEL remains illuminated. Think I will try again tomorrow, as I saw someone said 100 miles or so.
The PCM's logic is a bit more complex than that in order to reset the MIL. Just drive it a few days normally while keeping the fuel level between 1/4 and 3/4 of a tank (the self-test won't run if the fuel level is outside those limits). Generally, it takes 3 consecutive drive cycles in which the self-test runs to turn off the MIL. A drive cycle must include a shut-down period that allows the engine to cool down by a specified amount so simply stopping and restarting doesn't count. Unless you have an immediate requirement for an emissions test, just sit back and take your time.

The purge valve is only one of a number of possible causes for a P1450. Here's the list from the 2013 PCED:

P1450 - Unable To Bleed Up Fuel Tank Vacuum

Description: Monitors the fuel vapor vacuum and pressure in the fuel tank. This DTC sets when the evaporative emission (EVAP) running loss monitor detects excessive fuel tank vacuum with the engine running, but not at idle.
Possible Causes:
  • Blockages or kinks in the EVAP canister tube or EVAP canister purge outlet tube between the fuel tank, the EVAP purge valve and the EVAP canister
  • Fuel filler cap stuck closed, preventing vacuum relief (if equipped)
  • Capless fuel tank filler pipe damaged, preventing vacuum relief (if equipped)
  • Contaminated fuel vapor elbow on the EVAP canister
  • Restricted EVAP canister
  • EVAP canister vent valve stuck partially or fully closed
  • Plugged EVAP canister vent valve filter
  • EVAP purge valve stuck open
  • VREF circuit open
  • Damaged FTP sensor
Diagnostic Aids: Visually inspect the EVAP canister inlet port, EVAP canister vent valve filter, and EVAP canister vent hose assembly for contamination or debris.

Check EVAP purge valve for vacuum leak.

Thanks for the info ProjectSHO89. I figure I will give it a few more days. I will look at these diagnostic suggestions as well.

Thanks for trying to help me, I was hoping that replacing the purge valve would do it, but I have now given it a few days, and multiple types of trips and shut offs, and the light remains steady. Hate to have to admit defeat on what seemed like a simple problem, but can't find any other reason for the light to be on. Thanks also to thefranchise713 for the info about P1000. The light is on all the time steady, it never blinked. Found out the remote start doesn't work when the light is on either, that was by accident, and looked it up in the manual to find the answer. Guess it will be off to the dealer to be charged a ton of money so I can get plates.

I'm currently having this same issue.

I changed the purge valve in the engine bay and hoped that was the fix but it was not.

After several miles (about 900) gas tanks top offs (not adding any more after the 1st click) driving it around between 1/4 to 3/4 tank and city driving with highway driving the check engine light is still on.

Any other ideas? I did see a gas filler maintenance using compressed air and WD-40 in a YouTube video that I will try and hope that fixes it.

I changed the purge valve in the engine bay and hoped that was the fix but it was not.

After several miles (about 900) gas tanks top offs (not adding any more after the 1st click) driving it around between 1/4 to 3/4 tank and city driving with highway driving the check engine light is still on.

Any other ideas? I did see a gas filler maintenance using compressed air and WD-40 in a YouTube video that I will try and hope that fixes it.
Good luck and please keep us in the loop if you get it fixed. Thanks.

Peter

jjtxaz24.....as I was the last one here with the same issue, I will explain what I did. I continued to have the light on after changing the purge valve and the light was stubbornly not going off. I followed all the suggestions about driving cycles, not overfilling the tank, etc.....with no success. As I was about to give up and resign myself to taking it in, I stopped back at the parts store where I had purchased the valve and the manager was kind enough to come back outside and reconnect his diagnostic tool. These tools have an option (which they are really not supposed to use) which allows them to turn off the light. It has been months, and many miles, and multiple fillups and I passed the EPA tests and have not seen the light again. Hope this helps you.

jjtxaz24.....as I was the last one here with the same issue, I will explain what I did. I continued to have the light on after changing the purge valve and the light was stubbornly not going off. I followed all the suggestions about driving cycles, not overfilling the tank, etc.....with no success. As I was about to give up and resign myself to taking it in, I stopped back at the parts store where I had purchased the valve and the manager was kind enough to come back outside and reconnect his diagnostic tool. These tools have an option (which they are really not supposed to use) which allows them to turn off the light. It has been months, and many miles, and multiple fillups and I passed the EPA tests and have not seen the light again. Hope this helps you.
Hopefully all he did was just clear the code and nothing else.

I hope so, I have a Verizon Hum that serves as a diagnostic tool and once I reconnected it it reevaluated the system and popped the code back but the light never off.

I have a feeling he didn't know how to reset it. I will check with a store here locally and see if they have any luck.

Good luck and please keep us in the loop if you get it fixed. Thanks.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I'll let you guys know.

peterk9.....I have no reason to believe he did anything but clear that particular code. I have had no other issues of any kind since. I certainly bow to your experience with Ford as I really have none...but I have worked on and around cars my whole life and sometimes I believe we are led to overthink stuff by manufacturers and dealers. It sometimes reminds me of computers such as the one I am sitting in front of right now..... the wife and I have successfully repaired them on numerous occasions, where gloom and doom was predicted. I could be all wrong about this code, but if it was or could be caused by a dumb little thing like overfilling the gas tank; which I think it was in my case, I believe the simplest and least expensive attempts are often worth a try.

peterk9.....I have no reason to believe he did anything but clear that particular code. I have had no other issues of any kind since. I certainly bow to your experience with Ford as I really have none...but I have worked on and around cars my whole life and sometimes I believe we are led to overthink stuff by manufacturers and dealers. It sometimes reminds me of computers such as the one I am sitting in front of right now..... the wife and I have successfully repaired them on numerous occasions, where gloom and doom was predicted. I could be all wrong about this code, but if it was or could be caused by a dumb little thing like overfilling the gas tank; which I think it was in my case, I believe the simplest and least expensive attempts are often worth a try.
As for overfilling the tank. I always give it one more click after the initial auto shut-off and have never had an issue. On older cars I had I used to slowly squeeze the trigger until I could see that gasoline in the tube.;) I don't do that with these vehicles.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the issue fixed itself. Yesterday was thanksgiving, hope you all had a safe holiday so I was go na get around to cleareing the check engine light today and went to take it to AutoZone and it was gone. Not sure why or what happened but it's fixed. Guess it finally had enough cycles and miles to figure out it was fixed.

Back