Missing sheild/ spacer between engine and transmission ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Missing sheild/ spacer between engine and transmission ?

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
The hits just keep on coming!

I got under the vehicle to replace my flywheel inspection cover, because I thought that's what was missing. I spent the end of the week sanding and painting it to protect against corrosion. The whole time I'm thinking: "this looks an aweful lot like what's already there."

Sure enough I already have the inspection cover, but I am clearly missing something between the engine and the transmission, because the flywheel is visible. It's probably some type of 1/16" thick piece of steel plate. It's a cover or a spacer of some kind but not being able to see it, I have no idea what it is.

I have photos of the area if needed.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what this part is? And how mad should I be that the bafoons lost it/ forgot to put it back?

By the way, when then were bolting up the flex plate, they mentioned that the bolts were 1/16" too long and scraping, so they had to get new ones. I'm sure this is the reason why.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's a link to the images. I was going to wait and pay for a membership so I can host them here, since this place is well worth the cost. But since there's been interest already, here's a set of 4 photos of the open flywheel:

https://imgur.com/a/HAw0C

Sorry about the bad angle, but this is the only shot I have that shows the plate:

20160730_172743_1.jpg

Yes.

Missing spacer plate between engine and transmission.

Sorry about the bad angle, but this is the only shot I have that shows the plate

Looks like you're having fun! Thanks for the shot. I'm beginning to understand what's involved in replacing it. What do you think could result from leaving it off? Aside from dirt and debris getting in there. Or is that a huge concern in itself?

I guess I'm just trying to plan for my torque converter upgrade. If it needs to happen ASAP, or at my convenience.

I just realized you have a V8. Mine is a 4.0, so the shield may be different anyway.

It may affect the starter spacing. Does the starter engage OK? The torque converter probably has enough over-travel going back that it will just sit a little deeper in the transmission. There is probably enough play in most everything else (mounts, linkage, etc) that alignment will be OK.

Look at 28:14 of this video. Once again a 4.0, but if you have a 5r55s, it will be real similar.

Wow thank you for providing the video and timestamp! Unreal, this is one of the best communities going!

I see it's a pretty comprehensive teardown to get to it.

I'll probably hold off until I do the torque converter. I wouldn't say I've had any starter issues. I think twice out of all the times I've started it in the past year+ I've run into a no crank, where I turn the key and just nothing happens. But then I turn it again and it fires right up. I have just been thinking the starter is getting close to going. But maybe it's related to that missing cover.

Provided that it's the original engine and not some type of swap.

Block should be the same.

Provided that it's the original engine and not some type of swap.

Block should be the same.
Ha it actually is some kind of swap. The idiots who swapped my engine used a Ford 4.6 block but I have no clue what it came off of. They claim it was a mountaineer from 2002, but I found a dpfe on it that looks to be from a crown vic. Either way, you're right the block should be the same.

Ha it actually is some kind of swap. The idiots who swapped my engine used a Ford 4.6 block but I have no clue what it came off of. They claim it was a mountaineer from 2002, but I found a dpfe on it that looks to be from a crown vic. Either way, you're right the block should be the same.

Triton 4.6L V8, SOHC 4.6L, SOHC Modular 4.6L, mustang 4.6L, crown vic 4.6L, etc etc... There are all the same motor. Sure there are a couple different plants that make them different in small details but they are the same motor. IE you cant call a Triton motor junk yet praise a modular 4.6..

Back