Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3

My thoughts exactly. I have a 2015 Ex LTD and if the price was around $1000 I would consider it. So I will just keep chugging along with Sync2.

I've seen it for I think $1500 if you get non-nav. You can also source the parts yourself and it is considerably less expensive. I plan on doing it in at least one of my vehicles, maybe both. I tried sync 3 on a loaner and its night and day difference. google maps on the dash screen is worth it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting. I was just thinking how I wish I could upgrade from SYNC 2. Price seems fair. I do find it funny how they only offer $50 to send in your old system. I think the trade in value should be at least $250-300.

There have been a few members that have changed their Sync 2 to Sync 3 by other means. Here is a thread I found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature (upper right).
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/sync3-in-a-2016-explorer.441118/

Peter

Thanks for the link....

Yes I saw that thread, but it did not address my question. A plug and play from a specific seller..... That thread is dealing with parts and having to program the car after, I think being able to DIR the hardware change out is one level, going then to getting a map from another 17 and installing that into a older car is another level. If the plug and play works without problems might be worth the labor to have it pre programed. Hence why I was wondering if anyone had done that.....

The link is great...it is not only a problem of the APIM...

Hi everyone. Been away from the forum a long time and just trying to catch up on all this Sync3 upgrade stuff. If I understand everything I have read here in this thread and few other threads here and elsewhere, I should be able to source all the parts myself and use FORScan to get it all working in my 2013 Sport?

This should work for any Sync2 year model, right? Not just 2011- 2013
There are a few that have added Sync 3 to their 2016 Explorers so it should work with any 5th gen with Sync 2.

Peter

Ah, thanks! I'm going to do this ... eventually

Also on that page, make sure you watch their install videos. There is one for installing Sync 3 and one for swapping out the USB module which you will need to do if you will be using Apple CarPlay.

Thanks, that's part of the point -- to be able to use CarPlay.

All my parts are on the way, cant wait to get Sync 3 running. Already planning more upgrades, such as adding another USB hub somewhere in the vehicle and looking into a heated steering wheel and maybe a new IP cluster if that's possible.

All my parts are on the way, cant wait to get Sync 3 running. Already planning more upgrades, such as adding another USB hub somewhere in the vehicle and looking into a heated steering wheel and maybe a new IP cluster if that's possible.
Are you using the plug & play from the links above?

Has anyone bought the system in the links above?

No I bought my parts from Jason (jmr061) and did all my own programming. The Sync 3 system is working perfectly. Wish I had done this upgrade much sooner!

The article says all 2016 models but the post say it is for those that already have Sync 3. Did they release the update for the Sync 3 models yet?

Any SYNC 3 unit can be updated to the latest version 2.2

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, mine was already updated to version 2.2, was Plug amd Play and works great

Back